Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Has my script finished?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Has my script finished? Post 20572 by hugo_perez on Monday 29th of April 2002 12:22:06 PM
Old 04-29-2002
In a korn shell you can do the following:

Add to your script a lock condition.

Example:

while [ `ps -ef |grep your_script_name |grep -v grep |wc -l ` -gt 1 ]
do
echo "waiting to the end of the previous instance"
sleep 10
done

#your code

Regards. Hugo.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding Out When A Process Has Finished?

Problem I have an application which basically runs lots of UNIX programs remotely, using the Telnet protocol. For each program it remotely executes, it stores the process ID (PID) for that process. At regular intervals, I would like my application to take the PID for every process still... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cuervo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job finished notification

In my last job someone gave me the command to put in my .profile that let me know when a job I had running in the background finished. It was a word about 5 char long. I can't remember it! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkeller
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

** Finished ** Syncid.rc

So, the script I've been working on, since I was starting to learn Shell scripting is now complete. This was coded in ksh, and I am very proud of it. What this script does, is syncs up uid's across the network. So if you have 10 servers, with 10 usernames with different UID's - this will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syndex
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know a executable has finished his task

Hi frnds, I want to know is there a way by which we can know that a C++ executable has finished its job in shell script. My task is as follows: 1.Shell script calls a executable 2.Executable executes and performs its job of generating some reports. Now i want my shell script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: electroon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I know all processes are finished?

Hi all, I am writing a C shell script that starts a program. The program forks of several child processes. Only when all child processes are done, I want to archive my log files. Below is what I have so far, but unfortunately it doesn't work. MyProgram if (-e processes.txt) then rm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carla
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file finished to copy

Hi all, I have a script that is monitoring a hot folder. This script works fine with one exception when the script is executed while a file is being copied to the hot folder. What is the easiest method to check if the copy file is completed? I'd like to get the solution in bash :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to proceed when curl is finished

I have a script which uses cli curl to download the source code of a webpage and then tests if a specific string exists in the source. The problem is that the website has a slow response, so the eval expression hasn't completed when the test starts. The test returns a negative, and the curl... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait until firefox has finished

I am running a macro script from the command line. But the script doesn't wait until the task has finished. firefox imacros://run/?m=macro_script.iim firefox imacros://run/?m=macro_script2.iim How do I get it to wait until the macro has been completed? I am using imacros, a firefox... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make sure that sub shells have finished before moving on?

Hello, I have a script that is running multiple instances of an application in parallel. # learn on f0 emergent -nogui -p $ScriptLoc/$PROJ fold_tag=f0 & sleep 5 # learn on f1 emergent -nogui -p $ScriptLoc/$PROJ fold_tag=f1 & sleep 5 # learn on f2 emergent -nogui -p... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Script to manage background scripts (running, finished, exit code)

Heyas, Since this question (similar) occur every now and then, and given the fact i was thinking about it just recently (1-2 weeks) anyway, i started to write something :p The last point for motivation was... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
17 Replies
apticron(1)						      General Commands Manual						       apticron(1)

NAME
apticron - Generate a mail listing packages which are pending an upgrade SYNOPSIS
apticron [--cron] DESCRIPTION
apticron is a shell script which generates a mail with a list of all packages currently pending an upgrade, as well as summary of changes - using apt-listchanges - to a configurable Email address. apticron is mainly intended for automatic notification of pending security updates but can also be used in many other situations where timely updates are necessary. The --cron option is only meant to be used when invoked by cron in order to run no more than once a day. FILES
/etc/apticron/apticron.conf Configuration file, Email address to mail and profile for use with apt-listchanges are configurable. /etc/cron.d/apticron Cron job for executing apticron daily. /etc/cron.daily/apticron Fallback cron script for executing apticron (if no crond running or system down at designated time). /var/lib/misc/apticron.cron Time stamp file used by apticron when invoked with --cron option. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8), apt-listchanges(1), cron(8) AUTHOR
Apticron was initially developed by Colm MacCarthaigh <colm.maccarthaigh@heanet.ie> with contributions from Marc Sherman <msherman@projec- tile.ca>. Since 2006 it is maintained and improved by Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org>. apticron(1)