Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers new directory - how to force files created in it to inherit grp,own and permissions Post 20478 by hugo_perez on Friday 26th of April 2002 04:47:55 PM
Old 04-26-2002
The owner forget it, because is necesary to create an executable, or an script and can cause an exposure.

For the group

chmod g+s /tempdb

The user that create a file in /tempdb must be in the momma group.

Regards. Hugo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files created by a specified user in a directory and its subdirectories

Is there a command or shell script which can be used for Finding all files created by a specified userid in a directory and its subdirectories. Say, I want to find all such files in directory /abc as well as in all the subdirectories such as /abc/xyz or /abc/xyz/pqr aqnd so on which was created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newly created files default group and write permissions

Whenever I create a new file the group name is "dnn" and the file permissions are "-rw-r--r--". How do I get it so when I create files (with vi or other programs) that the default group is "sss" and the permissions are 770? (I am running HP-UNIX) Thanks, GoldFish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldfish
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

files created with different permissions

Hi, Within a SQL file i am calling 5 shell scripts in back ground and redirecting their outputs to different log files in a specific directory. Now when I observed is, the log files are created with different permissions even though i did not do any thing specific. For example in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steria_learner
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files created today in a particular directory?

Dear All, I want a Hp Ux command to find out the files created today in a particular directory or mountpoint. Kindly help. Thanks Bhaskar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris files created within directory in last 15min.

I have a directory on a Solaris box that has 58 files written to it every 15min. They have a non standard date as part of the file name but always have another name with it. I need to check that directory for files created within the last 15min and then port the results to a log file. There are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlaigo2
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Set permissions for new files created by application

Hello All, I have an application that creates the log files and they created with 600 permissions instead of 644(default). How can I set the permissions so that files can be created with 644. I looked into the /etc/profile for the umask settings and it is set 002(if UID>199). And when I type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory I am running the web app with tomcat8, I did use umask 007 to set permission for folder which enable the sub files and folder inherit the permission from the parent directory, I was successful which some directories but the directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janecaongoc
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory I am running the web app with tomcat8, I did use umask 007 to set permission for folder which enable the sub files and folder inherit the permission from the parent directory, I was successful which some directories but the directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janecaongoc
2 Replies
install(1)						      General Commands Manual							install(1)

Name
       install - install binaries

Syntax
       install [-c] [-m mode] [-o owner] [-g group] [-s] binary destination

Description
       The  binary  is moved to destination.  If destination already exists, it is removed before binary is moved.  If the destination is a direc-
       tory then binary is moved into the destination directory with its original file-name.

The command refuses to move a file onto itself.

Options
       -c		   Copies binary to destination.

-g group 	   Specifies a different group from group staff for destination.  The destination is changed to group system; the -g group
			   option  may	be used to specify a different group.  The user must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the
			   file or the superuser.

-m mode		   Specifies a different mode from the standard 755 for destination.

-o owner 	   Specifies a different owner from owner root for destination.  The destination is changed  to  current  owner.   The	-o
			   owner option may be used to specify a different owner, but only the superuser can change the owner.

-s		   Strips the binary after it is installed.

See Also
       chgrp(1), chmod(1), cp(1), mv(1), strip(1), chown(8)

install(1)