Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers new directory - how to force files created in it to inherit grp,own and permissions Post 20473 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 26th of April 2002 03:36:21 PM
Old 04-26-2002
/etc/group and umask

If the default group is oracle, then make all the users a member of the group oracle in /etc/group...

IF you want everyone to have permissions in the poppa dir, give them a secondary group of momma in /etc/group.
Also, make sure the group rights are such that users can read/write files in the specified dir.

If you set "umask 022" then the new file parms will be 644. Note that you cannot give executable permissions with umask. It will not do it even if you give umask 000...

Set umask 006, this will give you 660 for new file creation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files created by a specified user in a directory and its subdirectories

Is there a command or shell script which can be used for Finding all files created by a specified userid in a directory and its subdirectories. Say, I want to find all such files in directory /abc as well as in all the subdirectories such as /abc/xyz or /abc/xyz/pqr aqnd so on which was created... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newly created files default group and write permissions

Whenever I create a new file the group name is "dnn" and the file permissions are "-rw-r--r--". How do I get it so when I create files (with vi or other programs) that the default group is "sss" and the permissions are 770? (I am running HP-UNIX) Thanks, GoldFish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldfish
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

files created with different permissions

Hi, Within a SQL file i am calling 5 shell scripts in back ground and redirecting their outputs to different log files in a specific directory. Now when I observed is, the log files are created with different permissions even though i did not do any thing specific. For example in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steria_learner
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files created today in a particular directory?

Dear All, I want a Hp Ux command to find out the files created today in a particular directory or mountpoint. Kindly help. Thanks Bhaskar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris files created within directory in last 15min.

I have a directory on a Solaris box that has 58 files written to it every 15min. They have a non standard date as part of the file name but always have another name with it. I need to check that directory for files created within the last 15min and then port the results to a log file. There are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlaigo2
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Set permissions for new files created by application

Hello All, I have an application that creates the log files and they created with 600 permissions instead of 644(default). How can I set the permissions so that files can be created with 644. I looked into the /etc/profile for the umask settings and it is set 002(if UID>199). And when I type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory I am running the web app with tomcat8, I did use umask 007 to set permission for folder which enable the sub files and folder inherit the permission from the parent directory, I was successful which some directories but the directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janecaongoc
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory I am running the web app with tomcat8, I did use umask 007 to set permission for folder which enable the sub files and folder inherit the permission from the parent directory, I was successful which some directories but the directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janecaongoc
2 Replies
GIT-INIT(1)							    Git Manual							       GIT-INIT(1)

NAME
git-init - Create an empty Git repository or reinitialize an existing one SYNOPSIS
git init [-q | --quiet] [--bare] [--template=<template_directory>] [--separate-git-dir <git dir>] [--shared[=<permissions>]] [directory] DESCRIPTION
This command creates an empty Git repository - basically a .git directory with subdirectories for objects, refs/heads, refs/tags, and template files. An initial HEAD file that references the HEAD of the master branch is also created. If the $GIT_DIR environment variable is set then it specifies a path to use instead of ./.git for the base of the repository. If the object storage directory is specified via the $GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY environment variable then the sha1 directories are created underneath - otherwise the default $GIT_DIR/objects directory is used. Running git init in an existing repository is safe. It will not overwrite things that are already there. The primary reason for rerunning git init is to pick up newly added templates (or to move the repository to another place if --separate-git-dir is given). OPTIONS
-q, --quiet Only print error and warning messages; all other output will be suppressed. --bare Create a bare repository. If GIT_DIR environment is not set, it is set to the current working directory. --template=<template_directory> Specify the directory from which templates will be used. (See the "TEMPLATE DIRECTORY" section below.) --separate-git-dir=<git dir> Instead of initializing the repository as a directory to either $GIT_DIR or ./.git/, create a text file there containing the path to the actual repository. This file acts as filesystem-agnostic Git symbolic link to the repository. If this is reinitialization, the repository will be moved to the specified path. --shared[=(false|true|umask|group|all|world|everybody|0xxx)] Specify that the Git repository is to be shared amongst several users. This allows users belonging to the same group to push into that repository. When specified, the config variable "core.sharedRepository" is set so that files and directories under $GIT_DIR are created with the requested permissions. When not specified, Git will use permissions reported by umask(2). The option can have the following values, defaulting to group if no value is given: umask (or false) Use permissions reported by umask(2). The default, when --shared is not specified. group (or true) Make the repository group-writable, (and g+sx, since the git group may be not the primary group of all users). This is used to loosen the permissions of an otherwise safe umask(2) value. Note that the umask still applies to the other permission bits (e.g. if umask is 0022, using group will not remove read privileges from other (non-group) users). See 0xxx for how to exactly specify the repository permissions. all (or world or everybody) Same as group, but make the repository readable by all users. 0xxx 0xxx is an octal number and each file will have mode 0xxx. 0xxx will override users' umask(2) value (and not only loosen permissions as group and all does). 0640 will create a repository which is group-readable, but not group-writable or accessible to others. 0660 will create a repo that is readable and writable to the current user and group, but inaccessible to others. By default, the configuration flag receive.denyNonFastForwards is enabled in shared repositories, so that you cannot force a non fast-forwarding push into it. If you provide a directory, the command is run inside it. If this directory does not exist, it will be created. TEMPLATE DIRECTORY
Files and directories in the template directory whose name do not start with a dot will be copied to the $GIT_DIR after it is created. The template directory will be one of the following (in order): o the argument given with the --template option; o the contents of the $GIT_TEMPLATE_DIR environment variable; o the init.templateDir configuration variable; or o the default template directory: /usr/share/git-core/templates. The default template directory includes some directory structure, suggested "exclude patterns" (see gitignore(5)), and sample hook files. The sample hooks are all disabled by default, To enable one of the sample hooks rename it by removing its .sample suffix. See githooks(5) for more general info on hook execution. EXAMPLES
Start a new Git repository for an existing code base $ cd /path/to/my/codebase $ git init (1) $ git add . (2) $ git commit (3) 1. Create a /path/to/my/codebase/.git directory. 2. Add all existing files to the index. 3. Record the pristine state as the first commit in the history. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-INIT(1)