Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fragments in Solaris 8
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users fragments in Solaris 8 Post 20337 by hugo_perez on Wednesday 24th of April 2002 06:20:03 PM
Old 04-24-2002
Blocks not currently being used as inodes, indirect address blocks, or storage blocks are marked as free in the cylinder group map. This map also keeps track of fragments to prevent fragmentation from degrading disk performance.

It's posible that in some circunstances the file systems become
fragmented (see the output of fsck). In that case, use the tunefs.

The Block size and fragment size can be customized when you create the filesystem. If you use the "quot -c" , you can determine
the number of files of that size, and a cumulative total of blocks containing files of that size or a smaller size.

example:

quot -c /opt

/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3:

0 1 0
1 988 988
2 292 1572
3 227 2253
4 139 2809
1336 1 90691
1376 1 92067
1384 1 93451
1584 1 95035
1752 1 96787
2047 16 155355

if you think that the default sizes (for blocks and fragmets) is not the better; take a backup create the FS with your values, and restore the backup (using tar).

Regards. Hugo.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

2. Solaris

ipfilter blocking ip fragments

For some reason ipfilter is blocking inbound fragmented ip packets (the packets are larger than the interface's MTU) that are encapsulating UDP segments. The connection works, so I know ipfilter is letting some traffic through, it is just a lot slower than it should be. Rules that allow the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted. Here was my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fragments from file

I have a .xml file that looks something like this : <measInfo> ......... string1 ......... </measInfo> <measInfo> ...... string2 ........ </measInfo> I want to extract only the 'chunk of file' from '<measInfo>' to '</measInfo>' containing string1 (or a certain string that I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the results of these two code fragments are not the same?

Code 1: #!/bin/sh for arg1 in "$@" do counter=0 for arg2 in "$@" do if && then counter=$((counter+1)) continue fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnprogrammer
8 Replies
gd_nfragments(3)						      GETDATA							  gd_nfragments(3)

NAME
gd_nfragments -- retrieve the number of format specification fragments in a dirfile SYNOPSIS
#include <getdata.h> int gd_nfragments(const DIRFILE *dirfile); DESCRIPTION
The gd_nfragments() function queries a dirfile(5) database specified by dirfile and returns the total number of parsed format specification fragments in the database. The dirfile argument must point to a valid DIRFILE object previously created by a call to gd_open(3). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, gd_nfragments() returns the total number of format specification fragments which are present in the dirfile. On error, gd_nfragments() returns zero and sets the dirfile error to a non-zero value. Possible error values are: GD_E_BAD_DIRFILE The supplied dirfile was invalid. The dirfile error may be retrieved by calling gd_error(3). A descriptive error string for the last error encountered can be obtained from a call to gd_error_string(3). SEE ALSO
dirfile(5), gd_fragmentname(3), gd_include(3), gd_open(3), gd_parent_fragment(3) Version 0.7.0 21 July 2010 gd_nfragments(3)