Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fragments in Solaris 8
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users fragments in Solaris 8 Post 20334 by manderson19 on Wednesday 24th of April 2002 04:35:06 PM
Old 04-24-2002
fragments in Solaris 8

When discussing inodes and data blocks, I know Solaris creates these data blocks with a total size of 8192b, divided into eight 1024b "fragments." It stores data in "contiguous" fragments and solaris doesn't allow a file to use portions of two different fragments. If the file size permits, then the file is stored in the "n" number of fragments within a single data block.

My question is this: if I have a file that is larger than 8K, which means it will need more than one data block, does solaris store the data blocks in a coniguous fashion? i.e., datablock1, datablock2, datablock3, etc. my instincts tell me it has to, otherwise the file becomes "fragmented." any help is appreciated.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

2. Solaris

ipfilter blocking ip fragments

For some reason ipfilter is blocking inbound fragmented ip packets (the packets are larger than the interface's MTU) that are encapsulating UDP segments. The connection works, so I know ipfilter is letting some traffic through, it is just a lot slower than it should be. Rules that allow the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted. Here was my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fragments from file

I have a .xml file that looks something like this : <measInfo> ......... string1 ......... </measInfo> <measInfo> ...... string2 ........ </measInfo> I want to extract only the 'chunk of file' from '<measInfo>' to '</measInfo>' containing string1 (or a certain string that I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the results of these two code fragments are not the same?

Code 1: #!/bin/sh for arg1 in "$@" do counter=0 for arg2 in "$@" do if && then counter=$((counter+1)) continue fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnprogrammer
8 Replies
MTBL_INFO(1)															      MTBL_INFO(1)

NAME
mtbl_info - display information about an MTBL file SYNOPSIS
mtbl_info FILE [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
mtbl_info(1) displays the following information about the MTBL files specified on the command line. file name -- the name of the MTBL file. file size -- the total size of the MTBL file, in bytes. index bytes -- the total number of bytes and proportion of the total file size consumed by the index. data block bytes -- the total number of bytes and proportion of the total file size consumed by data blocks. data block size -- the maximum size of an uncompressed data block. data block count -- the total number of data blocks. entry count -- the total number of key-value entries. key bytes -- the total number of bytes that all keys in the file would occupy if stored end-to-end in a byte array with no delimiters. value bytes -- the total number of bytes that all values in the file would occupy if stored end-to-end in a byte array with no delimiters. compression algorithm -- the algorithm used to compress data blocks. Possible values are "none", "snappy" and "zlib". compactness -- a rough metric comparing the total number of bytes in the key-value entries with the total size of the MTBL file. It is calculated as (file size) / (key bytes + value bytes), and thus takes into account the gains of data block compression and prefix key compression against the overhead of the index, trailer, and data block offset arrays. 05/29/2012 MTBL_INFO(1)