Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mailx in cron using variable date Post 20256 by seaquin on Tuesday 23rd of April 2002 03:29:53 PM
Old 04-23-2002
mailx in cron using variable date

I am using a popular HOSTUMP script that dumps successfully to a log file named

servername_a_`date +%m%d%y`.log

I then want to kick off a second cron job that will email me that log. I am assuming it has to be something like

00 07 * * 2 mailx -s 'SERVERNAME Tape A Weekly Backup Log' whomever@somewhere.com <! `cat /vol4/admin/logs/servername
_a_`date +%m%d%y`.log`

I am pretty new to this (obviously) Can anyone provide a little guidance? Maybe it is just easier to do this in the script itself? Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using Variable As Input For mailx

All, I'm having difficulty using a variable as the body of an e-mail; I suspect it has to do w/quoting, but am not sure. Right now I have separate functions for sending information and for sending errors. I'd like to set a variable (BODY) to use as input to mailx so I can have a generic function... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GregWold
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date variable to doy variable

Hello: I have a script that requires the use of DOY (as a variable) instead of YY/MM/DD. I already obtained these parameters from downloaded files and stored them as variables (i.e. $day, $month, $year). Is there any simple script that I could incorporate in mine to do this job? Regards, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aabrego
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check date variable according to the current date?

Hi folks, I need to write a script that should activate a process according to the current hour. The process should be activatet only if the hour is between midnight (00:00) and 07:00. How should I create the condition? Thanks in advance, Nir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Cron Date issue

Hi, We have Solaris10.2.3 server. If we execute command `date` on Command Line Promt it shows time - >Tue Jun 23 11:35:55 BST 2009 - which is correct However if the command is executed through cron it gives - >Tue Jun 23 10:35:55 ESTEDT 2009 - which is wrong Request you to help me in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sk2304
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending variable value via mailx

Hi all, I need to send a variable value in the script through mailx. Please find the script below but its not working. agents.sh: agents=`grep "Tot Agents " snapshot.dbm` if (( $? == 0 )); then mailx abc@gmail.com $agents fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: db2cap
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding date to the subject using mailx

Hi , I want to add date to the subject of the email. I am using mail and used -s "SQL Loader was not able to load enid on `date` due to data error" But it didnt work. can any one help me ?? Thanks Sithara (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sithara
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX ---> Add one date to a date variable

Hi All, I am trying to add one day to the busdt variable i am extracting from a file (DynamicParam.env). I am deriving the busdt as below. Is there any function which I can use to derive as below. If busdt=20120910, then the new derived variable value should be 20120911 If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a date stored in a variable to epoch date

I am not able to pass date stored in a variable as an argument to date command. I get current date value for from_date and to_date #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x for s in server ; do ssh -T $s <<-EOF from_date="12-Jan-2015 12:02:09" to_date="24-Jan-2015 13:02:09" echo \$from_date echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj48
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable not displaying in subject line of mailx email

Hi Newbie here with first post. I've got a shell script (ksh) whereby I run a SQL*Plus script and output the results to a file. I then check the output file in an if statement that looks like this: if ]; then export GAPNUM=`awk '{print $4}' $OUTFILE` if ] then mailx -s... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ltzwoman
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies
COLLECT-REMINDERS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      COLLECT-REMINDERS(1)

NAME
collect-reminders - collect email reminders to be sent out SYNOPSIS
Collect emails reminders set by users for special occasions and move them to the email-reminder spool directory. DESCRIPTION
Email-reminder allows users to define events that they want to be reminded of by email. This script is meant to be invoked everyday by a cron job or as the root user. It collects the reminder files from each user. OPTIONS
--help Displays basic usage message. --verbose Prints out information about what the program is doing, including the full emails being sent out. --version Displays the version number. FILES
~/.email-reminders, /etc/email-reminder.conf AUTHOR
Francois Marier <francois@email-reminder.org.nz> SEE ALSO
email-reminder-editor, send-reminders COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2010 by Francois Marier Email-Reminder is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. Email-Reminder is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with Email-Reminder; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-28 COLLECT-REMINDERS(1)