Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux DNS
Special Forums IP Networking Linux DNS Post 2023 by alwayslearningunix on Friday 13th of April 2001 08:03:42 PM
Old 04-13-2001
Data

I really need help here.

I am trying to sort out dns on a linux machine, but no matter what i do it just doesnt seem to work. I am sorting out dns for a domain, but even after putting the entries in /etc/named.boot for the localhost nslookup to work, referencing the correct file in /var/named - it still says server failed when I try to do a nslookup on the domain.

I have tried editing named.boot and the actual domain zonefile in /var/named in numerous ways, but it just doesnt work, Im pulling my hair out here!!

Can someone help me, i must be missing something somewhere.

Regards

alwayslearningunix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Name Server Problem on Linux

I'm very new to all of this, so I apologize in advance if my post comes off incoherent, or terms aren't used correctly :rolleyes: Using Fedora Core 2, I set up am internal DNS name server. After setting up the named.conf, and the localhost files I was able to correctly resolve my host name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skeet23
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LINUX 9 IPTABLES and DNS

I have installed a linux 9 router/firewall and have issues with outside DNS queries making it in. here are my IPTABLE rules, can anyone make some suggestions? ETH1 is my outside facing Interface, ETH0 is my inside facing interface. Accept If input interface is not eth1 Accept If protocol is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

3. Linux

LINUX 9 IPTABLES and DNS

I have installed a linux 9 router/firewall and have issues with outside DNS queries making it in. here are my IPTABLE rules, can anyone make some suggestions? ETH1 is my outside facing Interface, ETH0 is my inside facing interface. Accept If input interface is not eth1 Accept If protocol... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux firewall / dns issue

I have set up a linux (red hat 9) box as my main internet router. I am also running a DNS server on it. What are the rules i have to implement to allow DNS queries through the firewall from outside so that the outside world can see my domains? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Linux Redhat ES 4.0 - DNS Config Issues

Hello all, I've a very strange thing hapenning in my Sys, I've configured the IP, DNS eveything for my internat connection, but Im only able to browse Redhat.com websites. I cant open anyother site!!! :eek: Im sure the internet is configured 'coz it displays the list of avail updates for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijithS
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

DNS for linux RedHat

Dear members, I am trying to set up a simple DNS but the problem is that when I ping the name of the IP address in the Reverse file, it does not recognise it. My code are as follows: Note that my IP address is 172.22.45.237. In my /etc/named.conf file, I have added the following lines ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shakshakshuk
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux DNS issue

Hi , I have configured OEL 5.3 server on VMware server,installation went fine, however when i am checking host using configured /etc/hosts i am getting following error let me know where it went wrong . I had disabled firewall options and SELLinux. root@oen11g ~]# host oen11g.grid.com ;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: autoconfig
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Configuring DNS Server in Linux Redhat

Can someone help with a detail step-by-step oh how to configure DNS server on Linux Server. - I need to have 3 IP addresses map to a single hostname. for clients I'm a Linux rookie. Thanks Oscar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrankOscar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

add the linux host to DNS

I built the new linux server. And i want to add it to DNS. Please help me how to do this !!! thanks in advance ! :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhay1983
6 Replies
NSLOOKUP(1)							       BIND9							       NSLOOKUP(1)

NAME
nslookup - query Internet name servers interactively SYNOPSIS
nslookup [-option] [name | -] [server] DESCRIPTION
Nslookup is a program to query Internet domain name servers. Nslookup has two modes: interactive and non-interactive. Interactive mode allows the user to query name servers for information about various hosts and domains or to print a list of hosts in a domain. Non-interactive mode is used to print just the name and requested information for a host or domain. ARGUMENTS
Interactive mode is entered in the following cases: 1. when no arguments are given (the default name server will be used) 2. when the first argument is a hyphen (-) and the second argument is the host name or Internet address of a name server. Non-interactive mode is used when the name or Internet address of the host to be looked up is given as the first argument. The optional second argument specifies the host name or address of a name server. Options can also be specified on the command line if they precede the arguments and are prefixed with a hyphen. For example, to change the default query type to host information, and the initial timeout to 10 seconds, type: nslookup -query=hinfo -timeout=10 The -version option causes nslookup to print the version number and immediately exits. INTERACTIVE COMMANDS
host [server] Look up information for host using the current default server or using server, if specified. If host is an Internet address and the query type is A or PTR, the name of the host is returned. If host is a name and does not have a trailing period, the search list is used to qualify the name. To look up a host not in the current domain, append a period to the name. server domain lserver domain Change the default server to domain; lserver uses the initial server to look up information about domain, while server uses the current default server. If an authoritative answer can't be found, the names of servers that might have the answer are returned. root not implemented finger not implemented ls not implemented view not implemented help not implemented ? not implemented exit Exits the program. set keyword[=value] This command is used to change state information that affects the lookups. Valid keywords are: all Prints the current values of the frequently used options to set. Information about the current default server and host is also printed. class=value Change the query class to one of: IN the Internet class CH the Chaos class HS the Hesiod class ANY wildcard The class specifies the protocol group of the information. (Default = IN; abbreviation = cl) [no]debug Turn on or off the display of the full response packet and any intermediate response packets when searching. (Default = nodebug; abbreviation = [no]deb) [no]d2 Turn debugging mode on or off. This displays more about what nslookup is doing. (Default = nod2) domain=name Sets the search list to name. [no]search If the lookup request contains at least one period but doesn't end with a trailing period, append the domain names in the domain search list to the request until an answer is received. (Default = search) port=value Change the default TCP/UDP name server port to value. (Default = 53; abbreviation = po) querytype=value type=value Change the type of the information query. (Default = A; abbreviations = q, ty) [no]recurse Tell the name server to query other servers if it does not have the information. (Default = recurse; abbreviation = [no]rec) ndots=number Set the number of dots (label separators) in a domain that will disable searching. Absolute names always stop searching. retry=number Set the number of retries to number. timeout=number Change the initial timeout interval for waiting for a reply to number seconds. [no]vc Always use a virtual circuit when sending requests to the server. (Default = novc) [no]fail Try the next nameserver if a nameserver responds with SERVFAIL or a referral (nofail) or terminate query (fail) on such a response. (Default = nofail) RETURN VALUES
nslookup returns with an exit status of 1 if any query failed, and 0 otherwise. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
dig(1), host(1), named(8). AUTHOR
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2017 Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC") ISC
2014-01-24 NSLOOKUP(1)