Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Transferring data to a windows environment using ftp Post 20083 by ccs8217 on Saturday 20th of April 2002 01:29:12 PM
Old 04-20-2002
Transferring data to a windows environment using ftp

I need to transfer data from SCO Unix to a windows 2000 or 98 machine. The files are too big for doscp, and I can't get the right programs for transferring via kermit. So the next step, though perhaps more difficult, would be to set up an ethernet network and tranfer the data using ftp. I have done this many times where the ethernet network is already set up, but I need to set up the ethernet network, using TCP/IP.

I have used netconfig to add the 3COM NIC, I have established its address as 192.168.0.10. When the system boots, the system knows the card is there but doesn't set it up properly.

In my reading, it seems I may need to use ifconfig to set the address, but I can't find much documentation on how to use that command.

The NICs seem to see each other (lights are on at both ends), and I am using a cross-over cable since I am not going through a hub.

Where am I going wrong? Any guidance?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix in a Windows environment issue

What types of error messages would I recieve if the backbone of the network is setup for both Unix and Windows systems? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aisha Sturkey
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP session expiring when transferring files... Need some solution

Hi All, I am running a ftp script which is running fine even with crontab. But the problem is that when I connect to ftp server and transfer files , i observe that ftp session expires after few minutes and the file transfer is not completed as there are alot of files to be transfered . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

transferring files using ftp but mantaining the dates

Hi guys, Is there a way I can ftp some files without changing the last-modified dates from them ? I haven't seen any ftp option to do so. Or, alternatively, how do I change the last-modified date for a file, if this is possible... ? Thanks in advance, Abrahao. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP - To handle error while transferring files

Hi, I had written an FTP script where in I loop through the directories and transfer the files from each and every directory of Windows to UNIX. Now the problem is when 1. The connection is unable to be established I should return some error codes 2. When there is some system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Running UNIX in windows environment ?

Hi... I have planned to run UNIX application in window environment such as cygwin. Actually, I have download the "cygwin" software but there are some libraries are not applicable in the software. Due to that, anybody know any others unix sofware can be run in windows XP environment ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transferring files between Windows and UNIX(AIX)

How do I transfer Plain Text and/or BMP image files between my WindowsXP PC and my AIX 4.1 PowerPC? I have no network or USB options, just a Floppy disk drive and a CD drive on each machine. Is it possible at all? Any help would be gratefully received:) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pennant Man
11 Replies

7. AIX

Transferring files between Windows and AIX

How do I transfer Plain Text and/or BMP image files between my WindowsXP PC and my AIX 4.1 PowerPC? I have no network or USB options, just a Floppy disk drive and a CD drive on each machine. Is it possible at all? Any help would be gratefully received:) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pennant Man
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting File from FTP and Transferring File to FTP

Hi, I am getting error when i am deleting file from FTP and also transferring file from local to FTP server. I am getting 221 error. I am getting this error some time only. Some time the existing file from FTP is deleted and file from local directory is transferred to FTP server. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praka
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transferring file from Windows server...

Hi, I want to transfer html files from windows server to unix server. Those files also have to be assigned proper permissions. Can u people suggest any ideas for this scenario? Regards, http://www.unix.com/images/smilies/thumb.gifSanthosh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Santhosh_Ind
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transferring files from Unix to Windows server

Hi All, I have to establish as connectivity from Unix server(Solaris) to Windows machine and transfer files. We use public key Private key pair to authenticate from Unix to Unix connectivity to transfer the file. How to establish the sFTP connection from Unix to Windows and transfer the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies
ARPWATCH(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       ARPWATCH(8)

NAME
arpwatch - keep track of ethernet/ip address pairings SYNOPSIS
arpwatch [ -dN ] [ -f datafile ] [ -i interface ] [ -n net[/width ]] [ -r file ] [ -s sendmail_path ] [ -p ] [ -a ] [ -m addr ] [ -u username ] [ -R seconds ] [ -Q ] [ -z ignorenet/ignoremask ] DESCRIPTION
Arpwatch keeps track for ethernet/ip address pairings. It syslogs activity and reports certain changes via email. Arpwatch uses pcap(3) to listen for arp packets on a local ethernet interface. The -d flag is used enable debugging. This also inhibits forking into the background and emailing the reports. Instead, they are sent to stderr. The -f flag is used to set the ethernet/ip address database filename. The default is arp.dat. The -i flag is used to override the default interface. The -n flag specifies additional local networks. This can be useful to avoid "bogon" warnings when there is more than one network running on the same wire. If the optional width is not specified, the default netmask for the network's class is used. The -N flag disables reporting any bogons. The -r flag is used to specify a savefile (perhaps created by tcpdump(1) or pcapture(1)) to read from instead of reading from the network. In this case, arpwatch does not fork. (Debian) The -s flag is used to specify the path to the sendmail program. Any program that takes the option -odi and then text from stdin can be substituted. This is useful for redirecting reports to log files instead of mail. (Debian) The -p flag disables promiscuous operation. ARP broadcasts get through hubs without having the interface in promiscuous mode, while saving considerable resources that would be wasted on processing gigabytes of non-broadcast traffic. OTOH, setting promiscuous mode does not mean getting 100% traffic that would concern arpwatch . YMMV. (Debian) -a By default, arpwatch reports bogons (unless -N is given) for IP addresses that are in the same subnet than the first IP address of the default interface. If this option is specified, arpwatch will report bogons about every IP addresses. (Debian) The -m option is used to specify the e-mail address to which reports will be sent. By default, reports are sent to root on the local machine. (Debian) The -u flag instructs arpwatch to drop root privileges and change the UID to username and GID to the primary group of username . This is recommended for security reasons, but username has to have write access to the default directory. (Debian) The -R flag instructs arpwatch to restart in seconds seconds after the interface went down. By default, in such cases arpwatch would print an error message and exit. This option is ignored if either the -r or -u flags are used. (Debian) The -Q flags prevents arpwatch from sending reports by mail. (Debian) The -z flag is used to set a range of ip addresses to ignore (such as a DHCP range). Netmask is specified as 255.255.128.0. Note that an empty arp.dat file must be created before the first time you run arpwatch. REPORT MESSAGES
Here's a quick list of the report messages generated by arpwatch(1) (and arpsnmp(1)): new activity This ethernet/ip address pair has been used for the first time six months or more. new station The ethernet address has not been seen before. flip flop The ethernet address has changed from the most recently seen address to the second most recently seen address. (If either the old or new ethernet address is a DECnet address and it is less than 24 hours, the email version of the report is suppressed.) changed ethernet address The host switched to a new ethernet address. SYSLOG MESSAGES
Here are some of the syslog messages; note that messages that are reported are also sysloged. ethernet broadcast The mac ethernet address of the host is a broadcast address. ip broadcast The ip address of the host is a broadcast address. bogon The source ip address is not local to the local subnet. ethernet broadcast The source mac or arp ethernet address was all ones or all zeros. ethernet mismatch The source mac ethernet address didn't match the address inside the arp packet. reused old ethernet address The ethernet address has changed from the most recently seen address to the third (or greater) least recently seen address. (This is similar to a flip flop.) suppressed DECnet flip flop A "flip flop" report was suppressed because one of the two addresses was a DECnet address. FILES
/var/lib/arpwatch - default directory arp.dat - ethernet/ip address database /usr/share/arpwatch/ethercodes.dat - vendor ethernet block list SEE ALSO
arpsnmp(8), arp(8), bpf(4), tcpdump(1), pcapture(1), pcap(3) AUTHORS
Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. Attempts are made to suppress DECnet flip flops but they aren't always successful. Most error messages are posted using syslog. 4th Berkeley Distribution 8 October 2000 ARPWATCH(8)