Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Antivirus Programm for Solaris Desktop Post 1991 by 98_1LE on Thursday 12th of April 2001 08:08:03 AM
Old 04-12-2001
I am not familiar with one but to be honest, there isn't much need for several reasons. First, most viruses are written to attack Windows boxes and wouldn't run under Solaris or the files it was looking to modify would not be there. Second, the possible damage from a Solaris virus would be limited to the permissions of the user that executed it, and root should never receive email from humans.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

antivirus for sun solaris

Hi All , Please i have mail server , sun solaries 7 .. and i want to protect the users mails from viruses . so i want to download an antivirus for this server to protect it against viruses . is there anything for FREEEEEEEE plzzzzz. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm looking for a 64-bit Desktop that will run Windows, Linspire, FreeBSD and Solaris

Ok, I've been shopping around and I've seen some nice one's, but they are either too expensive or they are not 64-bit; I want to be prepared for the future at the right price (under $3,000 with a decent configuration)! :D Where can I find a good 64-bit desktop or workstation that will run the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Nice Guy
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to embeded programm within programm

Hi, How to embeded programme within perl programme. Shankarao (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarao
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 6 Desktop Troubleshooting

Good Morning People, I wanted to help on users we have that apparently on their desktop their word wrap is automatic. I have looked on their openwin-menu and haven't found anything with word wrap. Would anybody know where to look to change a user's word wrap capability? Let me know, any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarccastik Dude
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10 Desktop resolution

I have a problem with solaris 10 desktop resolution. My resolution is 1680x1050. I want to boot in troubleshooting mode to change this resolution for the root user. Or all users. What is the configuration script. ex: .dtconfig/Xconfig (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Is Unix/Solaris 10 ready for professional Desktop need?

There is little or no gaming available without the use of emulation or virtualization. There is no support for Xen in Solaris 10, you will have to Nevada to get that which also means no XP apps unless you can get them to run in Wine. It is unlikely that windows only hardware will be supported. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How can I start Solaris without Graphical Desktop login?

Hi All, Any ideas on how to start Solaris 10 x86 without the Graphical Desktop login? I'm just interested in having the console login (text based) when starting Solaris. Thanks in advance, Daniel (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danielsf
4 Replies

8. Solaris

How do I switch from CDE to Java Desktop in Solaris 10?

I am a newbie to Solaris/UNIX. I just installed Solaris 10 and accidentally chose CDE as my desktop instead of Java. How can I set Java Desktop as my desktop? Because before i installed my mechine is using java and more beauty from CDE.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moslemovic
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Antivirus for Solaris 8

Hi- I am looking for a best open source antivirus software for solaris other than clamav. We have been using clamav but it doesnot work on old solaris 8 systems..compiling the clamav and installing it on old solaris 8 systems resulted in system crash.Our business don't have any plan for OS upgrade... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmanknr
3 Replies

10. Solaris

How to install Solaris-desktop?

Hello, I am trying to install solaris desktop in solaris pkg install Solaris-desktop it say insufficient access to complete the required operation privileged user what does this mean? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riteshkakkar
14 Replies
S3QLLOCK(1)							       S3QL							       S3QLLOCK(1)

NAME
s3qllock - Make trees on an S3QL file system immutable SYNOPSIS
s3qllock [options] <directory> DESCRIPTION
S3QL is a file system for online data storage. Before using S3QL, make sure to consult the full documentation (rather than just the man pages which only briefly document the available userspace commands). The s3qllock command makes a directory tree in an S3QL file system immutable. Immutable trees can no longer be changed in any way whatso- ever. You can not add new files or directories and you can not change or delete existing files and directories. The only way to get rid of an immutable tree is to use the s3qlrm command. s3qllock can only be called by the user that mounted the file system and (if the file system was mounted with --allow-other or --allow-root) the root user. This limitation might be removed in the future (see issue 155). RATIONALE
Immutability is a feature designed for backups. Traditionally, backups have been made on external tape drives. Once a backup was made, the tape drive was removed and locked somewhere in a shelf. This has the great advantage that the contents of the backup are now permanently fixed. Nothing (short of physical destruction) can change or delete files in the backup. In contrast, when backing up into an online storage system like S3QL, all backups are available every time the file system is mounted. Nothing prevents a file in an old backup from being changed again later on. In the worst case, this may make your entire backup system worthless. Imagine that your system gets infected by a nasty virus that simply deletes all files it can find -- if the virus is active while the backup file system is mounted, the virus will destroy all your old backups as well! Even if the possibility of a malicious virus or trojan horse is excluded, being able to change a backup after it has been made is generally not a good idea. A common S3QL use case is to keep the file system mounted at all times and periodically create backups with rsync -a. This allows every user to recover her files from a backup without having to call the system administrator. However, this also allows every user to accidentally change or delete files in one of the old backups. Making a backup immutable protects you against all these problems. Unless you happen to run into a virus that was specifically programmed to attack S3QL file systems, backups can be neither deleted nor changed after they have been made immutable. OPTIONS
The s3qllock command accepts the following options: --debug activate debugging output --quiet be really quiet --version just print program version and exit EXIT STATUS
s3qllock returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occurred. SEE ALSO
The S3QL homepage is at http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. The full S3QL documentation should also be installed somewhere on your system, common locations are /usr/share/doc/s3ql or /usr/local/doc/s3ql. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 S3QLLOCK(1)