Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I automatically find important files??? Post 19885 by TRUEST on Wednesday 17th of April 2002 03:38:24 PM
Old 04-17-2002
How can I automatically find important files???

how can I automatically check if important files exist in a directory and if not, automatically put the important files where they are needed

say, I want to put .bashrc and a dozen other important files like it into every user's directory, how can I do this??? how do I check every user's account to see if they have specific files??

and one more thing, how can I edit my profile file so that I dont have to put ./ in front of my script files??? I mean, how do I make it possible to just type the script file name and then have the system run the file right away

I did this before but I can't remember.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

important. select 10 files each time.

Suppose I have a unix file which contain a lost of 60 files like filename1 filename2 ... .. ... filename60 I want to write a unix script that will pick up first 10 files in first run 10-20 files in 2 run 20-30 files in 3 run 30-40 files in 4 run 40-50 files in 5 run 50-60 files in 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Important finding --- find files greater than 1 MB

as we can find file greater than 1 MB with find command as: find /dir -name '*' -size +1M find /dir/* -name '*' -size +1M but wats its doing is , its finding files only in current directory not in sub-directories. i want files from sub-directories too. Please help... Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files automatically

Ok here is my issue. I have processes which will get screwed up and not run because certain log directories wind up filled too much and a directory will have 100,000 files in it. The only way to fix this is to move files out of this directory until the number of files is small enough that the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and automatically chmod

Hello everyone, my friend is asking for yOur Help. He is asking the script for combined find and changemode utility... Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iennetastic
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list of important config files in solaris 10

Hi all, I am going to reitre one solaris 10 server soon. What are the important config files to backup in case if i want to check how this system was setup (need list in general) ? Thanks! in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Moving Files Automatically

I'm looking to find/create a script so that when a download is complete, I can run the script in order for it to automatically move a file such as... 'example.avi' into my videos folder I'm a novice when it comes to scripting, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Andrew (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abudis
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files automatically.

Here is the script I want to run to deleted log files after a certain time: touch /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs find /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs -atime +120 - exec rm -rf {}\; Exerytime I run it, it throws me the error: find: paths must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lennyz04
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a lot of files in subdirectories automatically

Hi, I have a huge structure of directories and subdirectories contsining some data. The lowest folders contain a file "image.png" which need to be converted to "folder.jpg". But how can I do that for all these files automatically? That's what I alredy have find /path -type f -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KarlKarpfen
1 Replies
INTRO(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  INTRO(9)

NAME
intro -- introduction to system kernel interfaces DESCRIPTION
This section contains information about the interfaces and subroutines in the kernel. PROTOTYPES ANSI-C AND ALL THAT Yes please. We would like all code to be fully prototyped. If your code compiles cleanly with cc -Wall we would feel happy about it. It is important to understand that this isn't a question of just shutting up cc, it is a question about avoiding the things it complains about. To put it bluntly, don't hide the problem by casting and other obfuscating practices, solve the problem. INDENTATION AND STYLE
Believe it or not, there actually exists a guide for indentation and style. It isn't generally applied though. We would appreciate if people would pay attention to it, and at least not violate it blatantly. We don't mind it too badly if you have your own style, but please make sure we can read it too. Please take time to read style(9) for more information. NAMING THINGS
Some general rules exist: 1. If a function is meant as a debugging aid in DDB, it should be enclosed in #ifdef DDB #endif /* DDB */ And the name of the procedure should start with the prefix DDB_ to clearly identify the procedure as a debugger routine. SCOPE OF SYMBOLS
It is important to carefully consider the scope of symbols in the kernel. The default is to make everything static, unless some reason requires the opposite. There are several reasons for this policy, the main one is that the kernel is one monolithic name-space, and pollution is not a good idea here either. For device drivers and other modules that don't add new internal interfaces to the kernel, the entire source should be in one file if possi- ble. That way all symbols can be made static. If for some reason a module is split over multiple source files, then try to split the module along some major fault-line and consider using the number of global symbols as your guide. The fewer the better. SEE ALSO
style(9) HISTORY
The intro section manual page appeared in FreeBSD 2.2. BSD
December 13, 1995 BSD