Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variables in ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variables in ksh Post 19845 by Jimbo on Wednesday 17th of April 2002 08:34:16 AM
Old 04-17-2002
Yep, that will delete the first 3 characters, but steve6368 was wanting to pull (retain) the first 3 characters into another variable.
Jimbo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double Substitution variables in ksh

Hi I have a variable whose value is like this i=/test/test1/test2/myfile.cd.070505123457 i would like to have the value of myfile.cd stored into another variable my attempt is test=${i##*/} ;echo $test ##and i get myfile.cd.070505123457 since what i wnat is myfile.cd i try this... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
19 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ksh - Env. Variables ??

Hey all, I have been using Ksh and in that I am setting Environment variables. To set Env. Variables I have created my own file "BuildScript.sh" in which i have written : export CLASSPATH=/somedir/some other dir/file:. export PATH=/some dir/file:. But when i am calling this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtracting variables in ksh

hi all, how do i subract variables in shell ?? am trying to space out the headers and the output generated by the shell so they all line up : currently the output is like this : servers : users server1 : 10 latestServer : 50 so i thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables to sed in ksh

Hi, i need help passing variables to sed using ksh. My goal is to get particular data from log files. first i put a mark to the log files. echo "TEST_"`date + %m_%d_%Y_%T"` >markFile this will produce a 'markFile' which contain text like this TEST_06_01_2009_21:55:09 then i put the mark... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.anggrianto
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve NL in Ksh variables?

I'm trying to set a variable to the output of a command. This is what the comand output to the display looks like: />hciconndump -v TOsiu Dump of connection(s): TOsiu ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Process: A60Tsiu Connection: TOsiu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two variables in ksh

I can't believe I can't figure this out... given this code: CARS_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file1 | awk '{print $1}' ` FMSA_DATA_LIST=`cat /tmp/file2 | awk '{print $1}' ` The value of each of the above variables is: CARS = a b c d e f g FMSA = a b c q r s I want to declare a third... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - for loop with variables

Hi, I 'm trying to send an e-mail for every different line in the .txt for i in {1..$variable} do sed -n "/$i$/p" text.txt done I have two problems about this. First one is that for loop doesn't work and the second one is that i cant get the output of sed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating variables in KSH

Hi Friends , I want to know how to format the output for the following: i searched in the forum and couldnt get the exact requirement. Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies
STG-BRANCH(1)							   StGit Manual 						     STG-BRANCH(1)

NAME
stg-branch - Branch operations: switch, list, create, rename, delete, ... SYNOPSIS
stg branch stg branch <branch> stg branch --list stg branch --create <new-branch> [<committish>] stg branch --clone [<new-branch>] stg branch --rename <old-name> <new-name> stg branch --protect [<branch>] stg branch --unprotect [<branch>] stg branch --delete [--force] <branch> stg branch --description=<description> [<branch>] DESCRIPTION
Create, clone, switch between, rename, or delete development branches within a git repository. stg branch Display the name of the current branch. stg branch <branch> Switch to the given branch. OPTIONS
-l, --list List each branch in the current repository, followed by its branch description (if any). The current branch is prefixed with >. Branches that have been initialized for StGit (with linkstg:init[]) are prefixed with s. Protected branches are prefixed with p. -c, --create Create (and switch to) a new branch. The new branch is already initialized as an StGit patch stack, so you do not have to run linkstg:init[] manually. If you give a committish argument, the new branch is based there; otherwise, it is based at the current HEAD. StGit will try to detect the branch off of which the new branch is forked, as well as the remote repository from which that parent branch is taken (if any), so that running linkstg:pull[] will automatically pull new commits from the correct branch. It will warn if it cannot guess the parent branch (e.g. if you do not specify a branch name as committish). --clone Clone the current branch, under the name <new-branch> if specified, or using the current branch's name plus a timestamp. The description of the new branch is set to tell it is a clone of the current branch. The parent information of the new branch is copied from the current branch. -r, --rename Rename an existing branch. -p, --protect Prevent StGit from modifying a branch -- either the current one, or one named on the command line. -u, --unprotect Allow StGit to modify a branch -- either the current one, or one named on the command line. This undoes the effect of an earlier stg branch --protect command. --delete Delete the named branch. If there are any patches left in the branch, StGit will refuse to delete it unless you give the --force flag. A protected branch cannot be deleted; it must be unprotected first (see --unprotect above). If you delete the current branch, you are switched to the "master" branch, if it exists. -d DESCRIPTION, --description DESCRIPTION Set the branch description. --force Force a delete when the series is not empty. STGIT
Part of the StGit suite - see linkman:stg[1] StGit 03/13/2012 STG-BRANCH(1)