Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Killing idle user processes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Killing idle user processes Post 19829 by LivinFree on Wednesday 17th of April 2002 04:50:12 AM
Old 04-17-2002
Also, look at the idled program. It isn't being maintained anymore, but it may still work in your environment.
http://www.darkwing.com/idled/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Killing Idle session

does any one know how to kill an idle session? I want to kill any idle sessions after 30 min... Local or remote.... i want to do this without a script or TCP wrappers...i want to know if there is a file that i can configure..... ThAnks:rolleyes: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: securhack
4 Replies

2. Solaris

killing all processes for an user

how can I kill all the processes belonging to an user. I need it because I can't see a process initiated by a user and thus unable to kill it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for killing idle users

I need a script that will look for idle users and kill there proc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing cascade processes

Hi everybody!! I've got a problem. I have a loop like this: while true; do some_work sleep 10m done It's possible to kill the main loop process and kill all childs from it? I want to kill main process and kill the sleep also. I tried kill -9 <loop_pid> with no result ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need a scipt to email users with idle processes!?

hello, i am VERY new to this whole script world. I need to come up with a script that will email a user if they have an idle process past 500 minutes...any suggestions??? Thanks so much. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheppy28
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing idle users TIA

I wrote a script to kill users idle more than 1/2 hour, ignoring those in an exception list. Here is the script as it is now: #! /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { system("who -u | sort +5 > /tmp/loginfile"); system("echo User Sessions Killed > /tmp/killedlogins"); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PapaBear
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing all child processes

Hi, Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id. Many thanks in advance. J. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill idle script is killing unnecessarly

Hi All,I have a problem with my kill idle script.my script is supposed to kill the user sessions which are idle for more than 2 hours.But is is killing the sessions which are idle for less than 2 hrs also.I dont know the exact time after which the script is killing,but it is less than 2 hours i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhu_kumar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies
bonobo-slay(1)							   User Commands						    bonobo-slay(1)

NAME
bonobo-slay - kill running bonobo processes SYNOPSIS
bonobo-slay [-h] [-i] [-l | s] [regexp] DESCRIPTION
bonobo-slay cleans up bonobo processes that might have encountered lifecycle management issues. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -h Displays usage and help information. -i Ask before killing the processes. -l List running processes, but do not kill them. Not valid with the -s option. -s Kill processes silently. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: regexp Only kill bonobo processes that match the specified regular expression. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Killing All Nautilus bonobo Processes Silently example% bonobo-slay -s nautilus ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/bonobo-slay Executable to kill running bonobo processes ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-component | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 bonobo-slay(1)