Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mac OS X
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mac OS X Post 19806 by John Philip on Wednesday 17th of April 2002 02:48:34 AM
Old 04-17-2002
Hi neo,

Just wanted to release some 'steam' and frustrations over Apple - not that they differ much in their behaviour pattern from so many other hardware suppliers (just had an experience not so different from this with IBM...sigh).
To give a relatively short overview of the history of this case:
A small, local AD agency decides to upgrade their system. Like so many other companies their Graphic staff work directly on the server (i.e. files located on server, they open from their workstations, do whatever they need to do with Photoshop, QuarkX etc., save and that's it.
They upgrade their network to Giga (on copper), Install a combination of Giga- and 100Mb switch (Giga for the Graphics, 100Mb for the admin people).
Then invest in an Apple OSX server.
They afterwards experience freezes of workstations and servers 5-6 times a day. A rather annoying fault as the graphic staff looses the modifications not saved.
The OSX server only gulps up one error message -14071, but rather consistently.
Apple local (DK) and Apple Support Ireland spends 3 months not being able to explain this error in any way...
During these 3 months we try different hardware and different konfigurations etc. etc.
At one point we succeed in getting a long error log, which I post part of here in the hope that other people out there has had the same problems.
Still no reply from Apple...
--
Among other things we 'downgrade' the network to 100mb with a Cisco switch, as the original Asanté Giga Switch is a low-end model (no management, no nothing switch).
After implementing the latest server upgrade 10.0.3 the system all of a sudden starts to work (i.e. 5 days with no freezes).
Therefore my frustrations in trying to deduce from the ReadMe if Apple has actually fixed anything similiar to my problems.
My experience over the years with Apple, Compaq, IBM etc. etc is that they never post or admit to a problem, before they are able to post a solution. Thus leaving tech'ies like myself out in the dark with the problems for sometimes a long period with no help to be had - except from 'nerd-sites' like this one.
My comapny has installed and does service on a number of OSX servers and have not had any problems - so this is not a general complaint about the product as such, just the support in this particular case.

Kind regards
John Philip
DK

PS.: The company in question has calculated their production loss as a result of the freezes to be approx. 25.000 USD. On top of that comes all the man-hours my company has put into this in trying to solve the problem.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. OS X (Apple)

Let's get a .mac top level domain! As in www.xyz.mac

ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, is inviting proposals for new sponsored top level domains. This may be wishful thinking, but isn't that a chance to push for a .mac top level domain (TLD)? I for one would VASTLY like the idea of having a domain of something.mac --... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
0 Replies
lpq(1)                                                              Apple Inc.                                                              lpq(1)

NAME
lpq - show printer queue status SYNOPSIS
lpq [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ -P destination[/instance] ] [ -a ] [ -l ] [ +interval ] DESCRIPTION
lpq shows the current print queue status on the named printer. Jobs queued on the default destination will be shown if no printer or class is specified on the command-line. The +interval option allows you to continuously report the jobs in the queue until the queue is empty; the list of jobs is shown once every interval seconds. OPTIONS
lpq supports the following options: -E Forces encryption when connecting to the server. -P destination[/instance] Specifies an alternate printer or class name. -U username Specifies an alternate username. -a Reports jobs on all printers. -h server[:port] Specifies an alternate server. -l Requests a more verbose (long) reporting format. SEE ALSO
cancel(1), lp(1), lpr(1), lprm(1), lpstat(1), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 16 June 2008 CUPS lpq(1)