Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple modem setup question from new comer Post 19800 by Lexx on Wednesday 17th of April 2002 01:08:21 AM
Old 04-17-2002
Usually, this can be done with the AT commands of your modem. Check the manual (unfortunately, my modem days are long ago so I don't know anymore what the 'standard' command was - well, maybe not unfortunately *g*)
Lexx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Modem Setup

Hi: I am trying to setup a modem in Solaris 8. I got connected and the following messages comes on screen. CONNECT 9600 Press ENTER key to clear line and begin login. Press ENTER key to clear line and begin login. Enter Password -> Enter Password -> Enter Password -> I tried root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem Setup??

Hi, I've been having problems setting up the modem connect to a Sparc ultra 10. The modem has an adaptor on it which plugs into the parallel port. I have read the man pages and checked sunslove, these only give setup for com port 1. Can anyone shed any light on Parallel port setup? I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonathan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cable Modem, Unix, XP Computer Primary, need advice setup!

I have a XP computer which is my primary. I recently, well just today installed a old version of Mandrake Linux 6.5 I had laying on a self collecting dust on a old PII 233mhz that had to be vacummed out before I could use it. I have my XP computer connected by 10/100 NIC to a cable modem. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfunkle
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Apache Question - Securing against unwanted use with cable modem

I have built a Linux machine in my home using Mepis Linux and I'm running Apache on it. I want to use Apache on my machine and use it as testing area for web pages and other applications. I use a cable modem to connect to the internet. The Linux box is connected to a router, which connects... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Doctor_Morbius
3 Replies

5. Solaris

modem setup solaris 10 x86

I,am trying to configure an external multitech 5656zdx modem for dial in mode on a serial port using a dell 1800 server with solaris 10 for intel as the OS. It answers only once, further attemps fail, I have to reboot system before it will work again. I also used an older model 3334zdx which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albm
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem setup under Digital Unix

Hi All, I am trying to set up a modem (using SLIP) on a Digital (well it used to be) AlphaStation running Digital Unix V7E. I assume that I have to put an entry into /remote but can anyone suggest the contents and formatting. Apologies for being so naive but I'm an ex VMS person. Thanks and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roslynlea
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Writing simple python setup commands

Building software in most languages is a pain. Remember ant build.xml, maven2 pom files, and multi-level makefiles? Python has a simple solution for building modules, applications, and extensions called distutils. Disutils comes as part of the Python distribution so there are no other packages... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Solaris

How to setup prolink 3.5g hsdpa usb modem in Solaris 11.2?

hi, I am new to solaris, i download the solaris 11.2 support library and as well search the google but didn't find any information about how to setup usb 3g modem in solaris 11.2, any one can please help me with giving any information or web link? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamsat
6 Replies
acucap(5)							File Formats Manual							 acucap(5)

Name
       acucap - Automatic call unit capabilities file

Description
       The file lists the types of autodial modems and describes their attributes.

The  program searches the file when it encounters an field in the file description. If the string matches a name entry in the file, the and
       generic dialing routines are used to place an outgoing call according to the attributes specified for the modem in the file.

The program uses the same procedure for deciding how to activate an autodialer modem, except that searches for the brand name field of  the
       file in the database.

Each  line  in  the file describes how to dial a given type of modem. This description consists of strings, time delays, and flags that are
       used to control the action of any modem.  Fields are separated by a colon (:).  Entries that end in a backslash character () followed by a
       newline are continued on the next line.

The  first  entry  is the name or names of the modem.  If there is more than one name for a modem, the names are separated by vertical bars
       (|).

The fields of the description follow the name.  A field name followed by an equal sign (=) indicates that a string value follows.  A  field
       name  followed  by  a pound sign (#) indicates that a numeric value follows. A field name followed by the separating colon (:) represents a
       Boolean.

Options
       The fields following the name of the modem define the capabilities of the modem.  Capabilities are either strings (str), numbers (num),	or
       Boolean	flags  (bool).	A string capability is specified as capability=value; for example, ``ss=^A^B''.  A numeric capability is specified
       by capability#value; for example, ``sd#1''.  A Boolean capability is specified by simply listing the  capability.   Strings  that  are  not
       specified cause nothing to be issued.

ab (str)  Abort string.	This string is sent to the modem if is aborted.

cd (num)  Completion  delay.   This  number  gives the time to wait between completion string characters (in seconds, unless the Boolean is
		 specified).

cr (bool) Setting this Boolean causes the program to wait in the generic dial routine until the modem senses a carrier.

co (str)  A modem command string which instructs the modem to change from the default speed to the speed specified by the xs field.

cs (str)  Completion string.  The modem issues this string after receiving and responding to synchronization and dial strings.

da (num)  Dial acknowledge.  This number gives the time to wait before looking for a dial response (in seconds).

db (bool) Debug mode.  Setting this Boolean causes the generic dialer to give more information as it dials.

dd (num)  Dial delay.  This number gives the time between dial characters (in seconds) unless the Boolean is specified.

di (str)  Dial initialization.  This string is used to start a dialing sequence (placed just before the number to dial.)

dr (str)  Dial response.  The modem sends this string if a dialing sequence that was just issued is successful.

ds (str)  Disconnect string.  This string is sent to the modem when is finally disconnected.

dt (str)  Dial termination.  This string is used to terminate a dialing sequence (placed just after the number to dial.)

fd (num)  Full delay.  This number is the time to wait for a carrier to be detected (in seconds).  If the call is  not  completed  in  this
		 time, an error is returned.

hu (bool) This Boolean causes the modem to hang up the phone if the line goes away.

is (num)  This  number  specifies the speed the modem must be initialized at.  The conversation speed will later be set as specified by the
		 xs field.

ls (bool) Use an internal sleep routine rather than for delays.	Thus, all delays are given in microseconds rather than seconds.

os (str)  Online string.  The modem sends this string after carrier has been detected.

rd (bool) Causes a 1-second delay after toggling dtr.  This action will only be taken if the re flag is also set.

re (bool) This Boolean causes the modem to toggle dtr (data terminal ready) before beginning synchronization.  It  is  used  to	reset  the
		 present condition of the modem.

rs (str)  Replacement  string.	This string is a single character that will be substituted for an equal sign (=) or dash (-) in the number
		 to be dialed.	Used so that delay characters can be represented uniformly, but allowing the correct delay character to be  passed
		 to a given modem.

sd	 (num)	Synchronization  delay.   This	number gives the time between synchronization characters (in seconds unless the Boolean is
		 specified.)

si (bool) This modem is attached to an interface that cannot return any characters until carrier is detected.   Digital's  DMF32  interface
		 acts in this way.

sr (str)  Synchronization response.  What the modem sends in response to a synchronization string.

ss (str)  Synchronization string.  The first string the modem expects to receive; a check to see if the modem is operating.

xs (num)  Specifies the speed the modem will operate at after initialization at the default speed per the is field.

Examples
       The following example shows an entry for a Digital DF03 modem:
       df03|DF03|dec df03:
	    :cr:hu:re:di=^A^B:dd#1:os=A:ds=^A:fd#40:

Files
       Shared autodial modem data base

See Also
       tip(1c), uucp(1c)

acucap(5)