Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Restore Spacific File Type from TAPE ?! Post 19727 by geoquest on Tuesday 16th of April 2002 08:31:39 AM
Old 04-16-2002
Restore Spacific File Type from TAPE ?!

Hi

I just want to know if there's any way to restore a spacific file type from a tape using tar command.

I have different file type in 4mm tape. *.pds ; *.txt *.lis and some more. I just want to restore *.pds from the tape and Ignore the other file type.( FILTER A FILE TYPE FROM THE TAPE)

IF Not.. then is there's any way after restoring the data to view only the type I want to view only like OLD VAX/VMS do "d computername$diskname:[filename...]*.pds;*"

Thaanks and sorry for my bad english.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Restore Problems!!!

Hi. I have been having problems with restoring from a tape backup. I use the following cpio command: find / -print | cpio -ouvB > /dev/rStp0 After running this cpio command, the screen will display all files, but when I try to read or restore the tape I get the following error: Tape input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Backup Tape Restore?

I am trying to do a restore on a backup tape (DDS2) and am having a little trouble. For one, I dont know how the tape was made, whether is was tar, cpio, dump..etc. Anyone know how to restore a tape without knowing the format of the backup? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bake255
5 Replies

4. AIX

Restore a tape

Hello everyone I have a tape with some information that I got to restore, the tape was made with the fbackup command in a hp box. My question is that I have to restore in a Ibm box, how can I do this ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

5. SCO

Restore from HP Tape Drive

Here is the scenario. We have an billing system that ran on SCO 5.0.6. The HP Netserver went dwon, along with SCSI disks. They are unretrievable. I installed an IDE HDD, and reinstalled SCO. I am not too familiar w/ SCO or UNIX, and need to know how to install Tape drive, and how to restore from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlewis808
11 Replies

6. SCO

SCO UNIX tape restore

I am a mewbie to UNIX. I am using SCO Open Server 5 to run a legacy medical billing program "MDX" I have backup tapes made on HP DataStore8 which have the application and data files. Recently unable to login as individual user but can log into root. Previous commands that had restored the system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: canbe842
5 Replies

7. Solaris

FLAR Tape Backup/Restore

I have a T2000 server that is JumpStarted with Solaris 10 from the JumpStart server. Host name and IP address is changed after that. Then we backup the server using FLAR to tape: root.damas# date; flarcreate -c -t -n "Sol10_cairo_image" -a "engineering@starsolutions.com" -R / /dev/rmt/0n ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 restore from tape

Hope someone can help me here... I've got to restore an E450 with 300MHz cpus which was running Solaris 2.6 from tape. Regrettably the boot drive has failed. I've access to the first release of Solaris 2.6 CD's and to a set of Solaris 9 CD's. I remember that different E450 CPUs needed different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamplemousse
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Can't restore my deleted etc from tape

Hi I recently deleted my /etc but I had a backup on tape. I was able to boot the server with a cd-rom and mounted the /c1t0d0s0 which is where the root directory resides. However when I tried to restore the backup with tar xvf /dev/rmt/0n I wasn't successful even though I was able to use the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
2 Replies

10. AIX

Restore directory and contents from tape

Hi, I have taken a backup of a directory on my tape in using below command cd /backup find * -print|backup -ivf '/dev/rmt0' '-U' |tee -a /syslogs/backup.log and output appear in below format. a 0 rman-before-08032014 a 58403323904... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)