Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers HELP ME HELP!!!! I can't Log in as root Post 19672 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 15th of April 2002 12:20:25 PM
Old 04-15-2002
password corrupted and reboot to single

You may have to reboot to single user mode.

shutdown -ry now and stop it at the interrupt and boot to single user mode. Your shutdown command may have an option to come back to single without interruption from the keyboard.

However, since you can't loging as root. You may have to power off and back on to get to single and use the interrupt method above.

Regarding the password file.
You can do a few things. What are the permissions on your /etc/passwd file? If you can replace it with a backup of the passwd that would be good. If it is truly corrupted. You can just create a new one by hand. Perform an "cat /etc/passwd" then note the lines that are system Ids. Create a new passwd file with vi with just the system IDs.

On my OS there is another minimal passwd file that is under a subdirectory of /etc, /etc/opt/dce/passwd_override.

I don't expect yours to be in the same place, or possibly to have one of these, but it is worth a try.

If you have something like this copy it into place.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't su to root

I keep getting "su: Your own ID is unknown" whenever I try to su to root. Why is this??? I cannot find anything anywhere with this message. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It becomes a large file in a short time. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't log in other than root - display garbles

I'm hoping someone here can bail me out of this one. I have a box running SCO Openserver 5.0.2. I can log in as root fine, but if I try to log into any other account, I get: Last succenful login for xxxx "bunch of symbols" Standard copyright stuff and returns to a login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need it to prompt me for a root password, so I don't have to log as root

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a program, and I want to place some of the executables into /usr/bin so that they can be executed from any folder on the computer. I've been giveng the root password, but told never to log in directly as root. Instead, I can wait for a password prompt. However, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lunchtime
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)