Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup problem---Again
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Backup problem---Again Post 19524 by lealyz on Friday 12th of April 2002 03:38:41 AM
Old 04-12-2002
mail server

Hi,

i am using a mail server software called Post.Office intermail v 3.5.3
Post.Office intermail requires that sendmail be disabled to work...so i am not using sendmail. I am using SMTP (25) and POP3 (110).
The problem with my mail server is that i am currently not sending mails....my user accounts cannot send mail but they can receive mails.
I configured my outlook express with an existing account on my server and when i tried sending mail to my hotmail and yahoo accounts ( or anywhere else) i get this message;

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Fw:Test Mail', Account: 'demo', Server: 'mydomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '452 Couldn't process control file', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 452, Error Number: 0x800CCC6C

Meanwhile, when i checked the queue log of my post.office ssoftware, there was a long queue of outgoing mails and there were two types of error messages for the bulk ofthem;
1. MX lookup failure
2. Couldn't establish SMTP connection on port 25

Now i tested 1. by checking my resolv.conf file, all entries were ok. I was even able to perform an nslookup of serveral domains on the mail server using one of the dns entries in resolv.conf.

I dont understand why i had error 2, though.

For reference, note: i have a microsoft exchange server that relays it's mails thru my post.office mail server. The users on the exchange server have no problems sending or receiving mails.Users on the post.office use @mydomain.com while users on exchange use @mydomain.net.

Rather complex senario.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup problem

Hi all what may be the cause when i try to restore the backup (TAR) It's giving error tar block size =1 directory checksum error please suggest as soon as possible try n learn praful (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I tried backing up my mailserver on my nsrhost using solstice backup 5.5.1 software. After creating the usual custom settings, and starting the backup procedure using the group control button, backup initializes but the group backup becomes suspended. When i click on the details radio button in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup Problem?

Hi. Can someone please tell what the following tape error message means: Read end of medium on output If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready This message comes after the terminal displays a few files from the directory I'm trying to backup. The command I'm running is: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix 10.2 Backup Problem

We have an older HP Unix 10.20 system that we rarely ever use anymore. Most of our jobs on it are from 1994 to 2002. Anything after that is on Windows XP. The Unix system was backed up religiously every day. Because of space constraints some of the jobs were removed from the system after a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozzybear
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with Database backup

Hi! This is my first post and im not that familiar with UNIX but I'll try to explain my problem.. I have a server here at work running Open UNIX Release 8.0.0 It has a special application on it that I'm trying to run a database backup on. For the last 2 weeks this has failed.. Usually the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TaZ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with backup script

Hi, Following is the script I made for backing up Cpanel server. ================================================ #! /bin/bash rsync -raopguzl --delete --exclude "*.tar.gz" --progress --delete-excluded root@$hostname:/$otherdir/$i/ /mnt/iscsi/$hostname/home/$i done ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please : Script Backup Problem

I have script but not work.. ===================================== #!/bin/bash # backup Backup_Dirs="/home/test" Backup_Dest_Dir=/tmp Backup_Date=`date +%b%d%y` #Create Backup tar cvzf $Backup_Date.tar.gz $Backup_Dirs $Backup_Dest_Dir ====================================== What's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

problem in backup

Hi I am using Ubuntu back up program to the back up automatic. Problem is that recently the app start to fail. I get the following message: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1359, in <module> with_tempdir(main) File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1342,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Backup setting problem

the way that i use to backup my server is using the script below in ssh. mysqldump --opt -Q -u username -p password > /var/www/squiro/sql/database.sql but i want to set the server backup everyday at 1pm in same folder. is that set it in crontab-e? how to set it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mampwamp
3 Replies
mconnect(1)							   User Commands						       mconnect(1)

NAME
mconnect - connect to SMTP mail server socket SYNOPSIS
mconnect [-p port] [-r] [hostname] DESCRIPTION
The mconnect utility opens a connection to the mail server on a given host, so that it can be tested independently of all other mail soft- ware. If no host is given, the connection is made to the local host. Servers expect to speak the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) on this connection. Exit by typing the quit command. Typing EOF sends an end of file to the server. An interrupt closes the connection immedi- ately and exits. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -p port Specify the port number instead of the default SMTP port (number 25) as the next argument. -r "Raw" mode: disable the default line buffering and input handling. This produces an effect similar to telnet(1) to port number 25. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: hostname The name of a given host. USAGE
The mconnect command is IPv6-enabled. See ip6(7P). FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.hf help file for SMTP commands ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
telnet(1), sendmail(1M), attributes(5), ip6(7P) Postel, Jonathan B., RFC 821, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California, August 1982. SunOS 5.10 9 Nov 1999 mconnect(1)