Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ksh riddle: interpret variable two times? Post 19420 by Perderabo on Thursday 11th of April 2002 07:31:27 AM
Old 04-11-2002
Try:
eval value=\$$offset

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Riddle - solve it if you can

I don't understand this, can anyone explain the evaluation logic used here, and I would really appreciate a general explanation for it. ---------------------- Here's the korn script: -------------------- #! /usr/bin/ksh if ] then echo true else echo false fi if (( 2 > 10 )) then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: numstr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't interpret variable in if statement

Can someone help me out here. I can't get this piece of code to work. i.e. $ALL_EVENTS does not get interpreted in the if brackets. The first part is the code, the second part is the execution of the code. Note: $ALL_EVENTS does equal 2, but there is no value once passed to the if statement. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH problem - how do i redirect three times?

i need to output an ls command to a file but also capture any errors from that command and output them to a log file and the screen. if it's only possible to output them to a log file and not the screen then that's fine. this is what i've tried so far, but it won't populate log.txt. i've... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output from who command - quick riddle

Hi all. So I have a problem. I have been doing real good figuring this stuff out on my own but Im a newbie and stuck on something that is probably real basic. I want to get the following output from the who command: User TTY Date Time gd22a12 pts/1 Feb 1 11:34 gd22a13 pts/3 Feb 1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: losingit
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help using one variable multiple times

I apologize for the title but I am not even sure myself what to call this. I am going to use an example of a pizza delivery. I need to make an interactive script that allows users to order a certain number of pizzas, and then choose what they want on each pizza. Here is my code so far.... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstadnyk1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tabbing a line a variable number of times in shell

Hi, I had another question. I was wondering if there was a way to tab a line a variable number of times in tcsh. To go into details, I want to tab a line by how deep a file is in its path. So here is an example code: set filea=/blah1/blah2/blah3 set fileb=/blah1/blah2/blah3/blah4 set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print one's place for 1 to N times, ksh Perl whatever?

Hello all, I would like to create a for loop or whatever is quick that will print the one’s place of a number for 1-N times say for example a printed page formatting is 132 characters wide, I would like a single line 123456789012345678901234567890... ...012 That is 132 characters long. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KmJohnson
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)