Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: superuser password change
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers superuser password change Post 19298 by apalex on Tuesday 9th of April 2002 03:45:27 AM
Old 04-09-2002
thanks for the tips and answers...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to change password?

for my membershi id in this site. :) Regards Indrajit (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipzig
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Reset lost superuser/root password in x86

I've come across this question during interview as Sys Adm. "How you reset lost root/superuser password on x86 system running solaris (8/9/10) which remotely located. (Not locally in front of you)" As much as I know, you must be physically in front of the server to reset the lost... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahru
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change of password

Hi, How can I reset the password for the root on every month that needs to send an email after the password change Via shell script. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
5 Replies

7. Linux

Change password

Hello People, How can i make linux's ssh ask a new password when the user's password is expired? I have some linux servers with this feature working, but other aren't. I've already tried to use chage -D 0 and other arguments, but it's not working as I expected. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfastar
1 Replies

8. AIX

Change password to blank password

AIX 6.1 User has a password set. It needs to be a blank password (no password). smit passwd enter user name at change password and confirm password, just press ENTER Afterwards, I could not log on with blank password or with original password. How can I change the password to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
gpasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual							gpasswd(1)

NAME
gpasswd - change group password SYNOPSIS
gpasswd [-r|-l|-u] [group] DESCRIPTION
gpasswd changes passwords for group accounts. Only an administrator may change the password for any group. The used hash algorithmus is defined by the value of GROUP_CRYPT or, if not specified, CRYPT from /etc/default/passwd. If not configured, the traditinal des algorith- mus is used. OPTIONS
-r Remove group password. -l A system administrator can lock the password of the specified group. -u A system administrator can unlock the password of the specified group, if the group is not passwordless afterwards (it will not unlock a group that has only "!" as a password). FILES
/etc/group - group account information /etc/default/passwd - default values for password hash SEE ALSO
group(5), groupadd(8), groupdel(8), groupmod(8) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils July 2006 gpasswd(1)