Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Flaw leaves Linux computers vulnerable Post 19227 by PxT on Monday 8th of April 2002 12:16:21 PM
Old 04-08-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by jacx2
That is a threat at this time however I think that in the next version of Linux (Version 7.3 i think) Linus Torvalds (The creator of Linux) will have some sort of defence against it.
We'll have to wait and see
a) The flaw has nothing to do with the kernel version (and therefore nothing to do with linus). It is in a commonly used user-space library.
b) The flaw has already been fixed by the major vendors. Updated versions of affected packages are available immediately from RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, etc.
c) RedHat != Linux. The next RedHat version will (probably) be 7.3. The next linux (kernel) version will be 2.4.19

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

vsftpd fatal flaw - can C help

I am not a C programmer, so I was hoping someone can help with the following: vsftpd is programmed in C, but it has a fatal flaw whereby uploads can be copied by Samba before the upload is complete (this includes the latest vsftpd daemon) This is because vsftpd does not support file locking, unlike... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhod22
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

How do I network a Suse installed machine with other computers, specifically Red hat Linux?

How do I network a Suse installed machine with other computers, specifically Red hat Linux? This is for a school project, and I can't find any pages that tell how to network a Suse to other computers except how to use a printer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies
LINUX(4)                                                   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                   LINUX(4)

NAME
linux -- Linux ABI support SYNOPSIS
To compile support for this ABI into an i386 kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options COMPAT_LINUX for an amd64 kernel use: options COMPAT_LINUX32 Alternatively, to load the ABI as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): linux_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The linux module provides limited Linux ABI (application binary interface) compatibility for userland applications. The module provides the following significant facilities: o An image activator for correctly branded elf(5) executable images o Special signal handling for activated images o Linux to native system call translation It is important to note that the Linux ABI support it not provided through an emulator. Rather, a true (albeit limited) ABI implementation is provided. The following sysctl(8) tunable variables are available: compat.linux.osname Linux kernel operating system name. compat.linux.osrelease Linux kernel operating system release. Changing this to something else is discouraged on non-development systems, because it may change the way Linux programs work. Recent versions of GNU libc are known to use different syscalls depending on the value of this sysctl. compat.linux.oss_version Linux Open Sound System version. The linux module can be linked into the kernel statically with the COMPAT_LINUX kernel configuration option or loaded as required. The fol- lowing command will load the module if it is neither linked into the kernel nor already loaded as a module: if ! kldstat -v | grep -E 'linux(aout|elf)' > /dev/null; then kldload linux > /dev/null 2>&1 fi Note that dynamically linked Linux executables will require a suitable environment in /compat/linux. Specifically, the Linux run-time linker's hints files should be correctly initialized. For this reason, it is common to execute the following commands to prepare the system to correctly run Linux executables: if [ -x /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig ]; then /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux fi For information on loading the linux kernel loadable module automatically on system startup, see rc.conf(5). This information applies regardless of whether the linux module is statically linked into the kernel or loaded as a module. FILES
/compat/linux minimal Linux run-time environment /compat/linux/proc limited Linux process file system /compat/linux/sys limited Linux system file system SEE ALSO
brandelf(1), elf(5), linprocfs(5), linsysfs(5) HISTORY
Linux ABI support first appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BSD February 8, 2010 BSD