Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me with this Shell Program Post 19189 by TRUEST on Sunday 7th of April 2002 02:11:51 PM
Old 04-07-2002
Help me with this Shell Program

Now, am in a very tight situation here. I really dont expect anyone to understand but please, try your best.

am trying to right a program that goes back to the previous entry to correct a mistake.

heres what am trying to do. i write a program like this

Name : James Holgston
Address : -
Phone :

now, after the user enters a name for the name field and the cursor is now in the address field, how do I make the cursor go back to the name field and erase the previous entry to allow the user to enter a new entry. I was basically able to return the cursor the the previous field but I couldn't figure out how to clear the previous field. all i was able to do was bring the cursor up to the first letter of the previous field but was not able to delete the entire entry automatically.

say, after I entered James Holgston and now the cursor is blinking on the Address field, how do I go back to the field where James Holgston is and delete that name upon the arrival of the cursor.

is there any hack I can add to my script??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell Program

Hellow every body I am trying to write a very simple script in an executable file as following if ($?PWD) then echo "OK" else echo "No" endif but I am getting error during execution in c shell as synthax error at line 4 , unexpected end of file Please advise (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

2. Programming

Shell Program

I am programming the following simple shell program. It works for the most part, things like 'ls' and 'ps' work just fine. However when I add options, (example, ls -l) it does not execute the command. Also, I've been trying to add an "exit" command, so that I don't have to use the iterrupt; but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TexasGuy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

How to write a shell script which takes 3 strings as positional parameters,first and second are file names and third is a directory.if the two files exist in `pwd` and they contain a specific pattern and their size is greater than 32 bytes,moves these files into directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

hello, i have problem in awk filter in shell to concatenate two string plz send me a solution as soon as possible from jyoti ardeshana (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotiardeshana
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

very first shell program.

in the beginners book i have it gives an exercise to try. saying to make a script that examines the time. it should keep examining every second or so and say some sort of message. Can anyone help me get going. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell program

I want to print the value of variables a1, a2, a3 in for loop in the following program: a1=this a2=is a3=printed for((i=1;i<4;i++)) do var=a$i #w=`echo $var` e=${var} echo $e done But actually I get a1,a2,a3 as the output not the "this is printed" So the main question is if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgarg
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

Iam having file 1 as wc -l file1 is 8 QWEERTYUU|7927836357398398398913 yuyuyu uyiuyuyuyuy yuiyuiyuyuyy FDHGFSHAJK|1476887897877777777771 iopwiiwpoi e . . . . I Need to read the abouve line in file1 so iam using the command as tail -n 8... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program , need help!!

Hi all, I am trying to get a file from an ftp server and i have the list of files which needs to be get from the ftp server. grep unix_prg*.* log.txt > log1.txt log1.txt (which has the list of files) 06-29-09 00:00AM 3550258 unix_prg090629 06-28-09 07:00PM ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
7 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell program in C

Hi all, I have an assignment from school to write a shell program in linux. the idea is to exercise fork() and execv() functions.. the shell program is supposed to be the master and every command that the user prints will run in a new process. we also need to try running the command in every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r3vive
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

C shell program

1. I've have to write a shell program that accepts Ctrl+T (in linux os in c language) and should print out the current time and date to the screen. I've written the following code but i've to type ^T individual rather than pressing ctrl+T(^T) to get the output. : 2. How do i make the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro_phu
2 Replies
form_driver(3X) 														   form_driver(3X)

NAME
form_driver - command-processing loop of the form system SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int form_driver(FORM *form, int c); DESCRIPTION
Once a form has been posted (displayed), you should funnel input events to it through form_driver. This routine has two major input cases; either the input is a form navigation request or it's a printable ASCII character. The form driver requests are as follows: REQ_NEXT_PAGE Move to the next page. REQ_PREV_PAGE Move to the previous page. REQ_FIRST_PAGE Move to the first page. REQ_LAST_PAGE Move to the last field. REQ_NEXT_FIELD Move to the next field. REQ_PREV_FIELD Move to the previous field. REQ_FIRST_FIELD Move to the first field. REQ_LAST_FIELD Move to the last field. REQ_SNEXT_FIELD Move to the sorted next field. REQ_SPREV_FIELD Move to the sorted previous field. REQ_SFIRST_FIELD Move to the sorted first field. REQ_SLAST_FIELD Move to the sorted last field. REQ_LEFT_FIELD Move left to a field. REQ_RIGHT_FIELD Move right to a field. REQ_UP_FIELD Move up to a field. REQ_DOWN_FIELD Move down to a field. REQ_NEXT_CHAR Move to the next char. REQ_PREV_CHAR Move to the previous char. REQ_NEXT_LINE Move to the next line. REQ_PREV_LINE Move to the previous line. REQ_NEXT_WORD Move to the next word. REQ_PREV_WORD Move to the previous word. REQ_BEG_FIELD Move to the beginning of the field. REQ_END_FIELD Move to the end of the field. REQ_BEG_LINE Move to the beginning of the line. REQ_END_LINE Move to the end of the line. REQ_LEFT_CHAR Move left in the field. REQ_RIGHT_CHAR Move right in the field. REQ_UP_CHAR Move up in the field. REQ_DOWN_CHAR Move down in the field. REQ_NEW_LINE Insert or overlay a new line. REQ_INS_CHAR Insert a blank at the cursor. REQ_INS_LINE Insert a blank line at the cursor. REQ_DEL_CHAR Delete character at the cursor. REQ_DEL_PREV Delete character before the cursor. REQ_DEL_LINE Delete line at the cursor. REQ_DEL_WORD Delete blank-delimited word at the cursor. REQ_CLR_EOL Clear to end of line from cursor. REQ_CLR_EOF Clear to end of field from cursor. REQ_CLR_FIELD Clear the entire field. REQ_OVL_MODE Enter overlay mode. REQ_INS_MODE Enter insert mode. REQ_SCR_FLINE Scroll the field forward a line. REQ_SCR_BLINE Scroll the field backward a line. REQ_SCR_FPAGE Scroll the field forward a page. REQ_SCR_BPAGE Scroll the field backward a page. REQ_SCR_FHPAGE Scroll the field forward half a page. REQ_SCR_BHPAGE Scroll the field backward half a page. REQ_SCR_FCHAR Scroll the field forward a character. REQ_SCR_BCHAR Scroll the field backward a character. REQ_SCR_HFLINE Horizontal scroll the field forward a line. REQ_SCR_HBLINE Horizontal scroll the field backward a line. REQ_SCR_HFHALF Horizontal scroll the field forward half a line. REQ_SCR_HBHALF Horizontal scroll the field backward half a line. REQ_VALIDATION Validate field. REQ_NEXT_CHOICE Display next field choice. REQ_PREV_CHOICE Display previous field choice. If the second argument is a printable ASCII character, the driver places it in the current position in the current field. If it is one of the forms requests listed above, that request is executed. If the second argument is neither printable ASCII nor one of the above pre-defined form requests, the driver assumes it is an application- specific command and returns E_UNKNOWN_COMMAND. Application-defined commands should be defined relative to MAX_COMMAND, the maximum value of these pre-defined requests. RETURN VALUE
form_driver return one of the following error codes: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NOT_POSTED The form has not been posted. E_UNKNOWN_COMMAND The form driver code saw an unknown request code. E_INVALID_FIELD Contents of field is invalid. E_REQUEST_DENIED The form driver could not process the request. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), form(3X). NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header files <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. form_driver(3X)