Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ethereal
Special Forums IP Networking Ethereal Post 19170 by comadreja on Saturday 6th of April 2002 05:51:23 PM
Old 04-06-2002
a way to check if some one is using an sniffer on your network, is by sending a broadcast to a diferent masc that your network have.
a normal network interface don't have to answer to this broadcast, but if is promiscuous mode... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Ethereal

Hi, I work with an interface which connects to a Switch company and pulls information from certain sockets. During the night, somehow disconnects and it is difficult to prove if it is the interface or the Switch company responsible. I had the suggestion to install sniffers to do some network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giulianob
2 Replies

2. SCO

Ethereal for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7???

Which version of Ethereal can I use for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean2
0 Replies

3. SCO

Ethereal problems on SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

I have installed the Ethereal package (ethereal-0.8.14.pkg) on a SCO Openserver 5.0.7. Installation went OK but when I try to start Ethereal I get error messages about "linking problems". I have studied the SCO Technical article 116949 but my filenames differ from article. Please help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bean2
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing ethereal on red hat

Has anybody installed ethereal on red hat linux. If so how ?, ie a a step by step process. I 've been to ethereal.com but it says not to use the RPM's on the site. When I do attempt to install using binaries or RPM's the list of dependancies seems endless, ie it says I need x I try to install x and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ethereal installation on unix

Hi , Has any one installed ethereal on a unix machien ?? I m trying to install it on an hpux 11i machine and getting the following error * Summary of Analysis Phase: ERROR: Exclude ethereal.ethereal-RUN,r=0.10.11 ERROR: Exclude ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
0 Replies

6. AIX

Ethereal and AIX 5.3

Hi to all .... i must install ethereal-0.8.18-1 on aix system , for do some problems determination about network problems . I have a .bff file of ethereal but for resolve dependencies i need this two .bff package needed : freeware.gtk+.rte 1.2.8.0 # Base Level Fileset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BabylonRocker
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

interfacing ethereal

Hi All; plz suggest me any perl script to get the ethereal messeges.To be more specific, i need to write a perl script that when an ethereal tool is started and captures any traces, can get that trace......... :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing ethereal traces

Hi All........ i need a perl script that can trace the traces of the ethereal tool. PLZ help me out...............!!!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
1 Replies

9. Solaris

ethereal problem

I have installed ethereal on solaris 10. however I can execute the ./ethereal using the root account. if tried to execute same from non-root users i am facing the following error. ethereal: The capture session could not be initiated (/dev/ce: Permission denied). Please check to make sure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanathhcl
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Ethereal Solaris i386

Hello guys, I am trying to install ethereal in Solaris10 based on i386 system. But i can find only packet for sparc. Any idea? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies
Interface::Simple(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Interface::Simple(3pm)

NAME
IO::Interface::Simple - Perl extension for access to network card configuration information SYNOPSIS
use IO::Interface::Simple; my $if1 = IO::Interface::Simple->new('eth0'); my $if2 = IO::Interface::Simple->new_from_address('127.0.0.1'); my $if3 = IO::Interface::Simple->new_from_index(1); my @interfaces = IO::Interface::Simple->interfaces; for my $if (@interfaces) { print "interface = $if "; print "addr = ",$if->address," ", "broadcast = ",$if->broadcast," ", "netmask = ",$if->netmask," ", "dstaddr = ",$if->dstaddr," ", "hwaddr = ",$if->hwaddr," ", "mtu = ",$if->mtu," ", "metric = ",$if->metric," ", "index = ",$if->index," "; print "is running " if $if->is_running; print "is broadcast " if $if->is_broadcast; print "is p-to-p " if $if->is_pt2pt; print "is loopback " if $if->is_loopback; print "is promiscuous " if $if->is_promiscuous; print "is multicast " if $if->is_multicast; print "is notrailers " if $if->is_notrailers; print "is noarp " if $if->is_noarp; } DESCRIPTION
IO::Interface::Simple allows you to interrogate and change network interfaces. It has overlapping functionality with Net::Interface, but might compile and run on more platforms. Class Methods $interface = IO::Interface::Simple->new('eth0') Given an interface name, new() creates an interface object. @iflist = IO::Interface::Simple->interfaces; Returns a list of active interface objects. $interface = IO::Interface::Simple->new_from_address('192.168.0.1') Returns the interface object corresponding to the given address. $interface = IO::Interface::Simple->new_from_index(2) Returns the interface object corresponding to the given numeric index. This is only supported on BSD-ish platforms. Object Methods $name = $interface->name Get the name of the interface. The interface object is also overloaded so that if you use it in a string context it is the same as calling name(). $index = $interface->index Get the index of the interface. This is only supported on BSD-like platforms. $addr = $interface->address([$newaddr]) Get or set the interface's address. $addr = $interface->broadcast([$newaddr]) Get or set the interface's broadcast address. $addr = $interface->netmask([$newmask]) Get or set the interface's netmask. $addr = $interface->hwaddr([$newaddr]) Get or set the interface's hardware address. $addr = $interface->mtu([$newmtu]) Get or set the interface's MTU. $addr = $interface->metric([$newmetric]) Get or set the interface's metric. $flags = $interface->flags([$newflags]) Get or set the interface's flags. These can be ANDed with the IFF constants exported by IO::Interface or Net::Interface in order to interrogate the state and capabilities of the interface. However, it is probably more convenient to use the broken-out methods listed below. $flag = $interface->is_running([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_broadcast([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_pt2pt([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_loopback([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_promiscuous([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_multicast([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_notrailers([$newflag]) $flag = $interface->is_noarp([$newflag]) Get or set the corresponding configuration parameters. Note that the operating system may not let you set some of these. AUTHOR
Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> This module is distributed under the same license as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, IO::Socket, IO::Multicast), IO::Interface, Net::Interface perl v5.14.2 2007-01-22 Interface::Simple(3pm)