Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ethereal
Special Forums IP Networking Ethereal Post 19170 by comadreja on Saturday 6th of April 2002 05:51:23 PM
Old 04-06-2002
a way to check if some one is using an sniffer on your network, is by sending a broadcast to a diferent masc that your network have.
a normal network interface don't have to answer to this broadcast, but if is promiscuous mode... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Ethereal

Hi, I work with an interface which connects to a Switch company and pulls information from certain sockets. During the night, somehow disconnects and it is difficult to prove if it is the interface or the Switch company responsible. I had the suggestion to install sniffers to do some network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giulianob
2 Replies

2. SCO

Ethereal for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7???

Which version of Ethereal can I use for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean2
0 Replies

3. SCO

Ethereal problems on SCO OpenServer 5.0.7

I have installed the Ethereal package (ethereal-0.8.14.pkg) on a SCO Openserver 5.0.7. Installation went OK but when I try to start Ethereal I get error messages about "linking problems". I have studied the SCO Technical article 116949 but my filenames differ from article. Please help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bean2
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing ethereal on red hat

Has anybody installed ethereal on red hat linux. If so how ?, ie a a step by step process. I 've been to ethereal.com but it says not to use the RPM's on the site. When I do attempt to install using binaries or RPM's the list of dependancies seems endless, ie it says I need x I try to install x and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ethereal installation on unix

Hi , Has any one installed ethereal on a unix machien ?? I m trying to install it on an hpux 11i machine and getting the following error * Summary of Analysis Phase: ERROR: Exclude ethereal.ethereal-RUN,r=0.10.11 ERROR: Exclude ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
0 Replies

6. AIX

Ethereal and AIX 5.3

Hi to all .... i must install ethereal-0.8.18-1 on aix system , for do some problems determination about network problems . I have a .bff file of ethereal but for resolve dependencies i need this two .bff package needed : freeware.gtk+.rte 1.2.8.0 # Base Level Fileset... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BabylonRocker
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

interfacing ethereal

Hi All; plz suggest me any perl script to get the ethereal messeges.To be more specific, i need to write a perl script that when an ethereal tool is started and captures any traces, can get that trace......... :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing ethereal traces

Hi All........ i need a perl script that can trace the traces of the ethereal tool. PLZ help me out...............!!!!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
1 Replies

9. Solaris

ethereal problem

I have installed ethereal on solaris 10. however I can execute the ./ethereal using the root account. if tried to execute same from non-root users i am facing the following error. ethereal: The capture session could not be initiated (/dev/ce: Permission denied). Please check to make sure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanathhcl
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Ethereal Solaris i386

Hello guys, I am trying to install ethereal in Solaris10 based on i386 system. But i can find only packet for sparc. Any idea? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies
net_getlifaddr(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					net_getlifaddr(9F)

NAME
net_getlifaddr - determine a network address for a given interface SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/neti.h> int net_getlifaddr(const net_data_t net, const phy_if_t ifp, const net_if_t lif, int const type, struct sockaddr* storage); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
net value returned from a successful call to net_protocol_lookup(9F). ifp value returned from a successful call to net_phylookup(9F) or net_phygetnext(9F), indicating which network interface the infor- mation should be returned from. lif indicates the logical interface from which to fetch the address. type indicates what type of address should be returned. See below for more details on this field. storage pointer to an area of memory to store the address data. DESCRIPTION
The net_getlifaddr() function retrieves the address information for each logical interface. Each call to net_getlifaddr() requires that the caller pass a pointer to an array of address information types to retrieve, and an accompanying pointer to an array of pointers to struct sockaddr structures to which to copy the address information. See net_lifgetnext(9F) for an example on how to use this function. Each member of the address type array should be one of the values listed here. NA_ADDRESS Return the network address associated with the logical interface (lif) that belongs to the network interface (ifp). NA_PEER Return the address assigned to the remote host for point to point network interfaces for the given network/logical inter- face. NA_BROADCAST Return the broadcast address assigned to the given network/logical interface for network interfaces that support broadcast packets. NA_NETMASK Return the netmask associated with the given network/logical interface for network interfaces that support broadcast pack- ets. RETURN VALUES
The net_getlifaddr() function returns: -1 The network protocol does not support this function. 0 Successful completion. 1 Unsuccessful. CONTEXT
The net_getifaddr() function may be called from user, kernel, or interrupt context. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
net_lifgetnext(9F), net_phylookup(9F), net_phygetnext(9F)net_protocol_lookup(9F) SunOS 5.11 13 Oct 2008 net_getlifaddr(9F)