Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Flaw leaves Linux computers vulnerable Post 19149 by jacx2 on Saturday 6th of April 2002 12:22:19 PM
Old 04-06-2002
That is a threat at this time however I think that in the next version of Linux (Version 7.3 i think) Linus Torvalds (The creator of Linux) will have some sort of defence against it.
We'll have to wait and see

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

vsftpd fatal flaw - can C help

I am not a C programmer, so I was hoping someone can help with the following: vsftpd is programmed in C, but it has a fatal flaw whereby uploads can be copied by Samba before the upload is complete (this includes the latest vsftpd daemon) This is because vsftpd does not support file locking, unlike... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhod22
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

How do I network a Suse installed machine with other computers, specifically Red hat Linux?

How do I network a Suse installed machine with other computers, specifically Red hat Linux? This is for a school project, and I can't find any pages that tell how to network a Suse to other computers except how to use a printer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies
MCOOKIE(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MCOOKIE(1)

NAME
mcookie - generate magic cookies for xauth SYNOPSIS
mcookie [-v] [-f filename] DESCRIPTION
mcookie generates a 128-bit random hexadecimal number for use with the X authority system. Typical usage: xauth add :0 . `mcookie` The "random" number generated is actually the output of the MD5 message digest fed with various pieces of random information: the current time, the process id, the parent process id, the contents of an input file (if -f is specified), and several bytes of information from the first of the following devices which is present: /dev/random, /dev/urandom, files in /proc, /dev/audio. BUGS
The entropy in the generated 128-bit is probably quite small (and, therefore, vulnerable to attack) unless a non-pseudorandom number gener- ator is used (e.g., /dev/random under Linux). It is assumed that none of the devices opened will block. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom /dev/audio /proc/stat /proc/loadavg SEE ALSO
X(1), xauth(1), md5sum(1) AVAILABILITY
The mcookie command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 25 September 1995 MCOOKIE(1)