Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users fsck command - what does it check/repair?? Post 19062 by PxT on Friday 5th of April 2002 11:17:10 AM
Old 04-05-2002
it checks inodes as well as other file-system structure details. I do not believe it does a physical scan (i.e. bad blocks), although that may depend on your particular OS version. At least under linux there is a separate tool for this (which can be called by fsck if you pass a certain flag)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File System Check (fsck)

I am having a problem with fsck. I am new to UNIX but was placed in a position where I must learn it. Anyway, one of the instructions that I have been given is to use 'fsck -f -y' when I am having trouble with the filesystem. The problem is that I am getting an error message that says the -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mawalton
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

fsck! How to run Full File System Check

Dear all I am new for HP-UX. I have HP rp2470 running HP-UX 10.x When i run fsck in a root, the output is as below: #:root> fsck fsck: /dev/vg00/rlvol1: mounted file system continue (y/n)? y ** /dev/vg00/rlvol1 ** Last Mounted on /stand ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes ** Phase... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungevntelecom
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to repair DNS

I am using Mac OS X and my server keeps crashing every several hours or so. I have checked the log file at /var/log/system.log and the entries closest to the crash read Mar 15 22:27:23 server servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no name available via DNS for 192.168.84.21 Mar 15 22:27:23 server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck command

can somebody tell me what exactly fsck command does ? please dont post the man page for it I already read it (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
3 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Fsck command without any option

Dear all, I want to execute fsck command,can i execute fsck command without any option asking for more confidence. Thanks and Regards Monoj Das (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to check only Autosys running jobs with autorep like command

Hi, Is there any specific command to use to check only say Running jobs via autorep or similar command for Autosys? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Can I run repair on lot of blocks with single command ?

Hi, I have Solaris-10 OS on T5220. Both local disks were mirrored under SVM. Somehow when one disk gone bad (c0t1d0), other disk (c0t0d0) also got lot of bad block. We have readable data only on c0t0d0, but as soon as server comes after, it hangs when I run few commands because of read errors,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies
MKFS.MINIX(8)						       System Administration						     MKFS.MINIX(8)

NAME
mkfs.minix - make a Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.minix [options] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.minix creates a Linux MINIX filesystem on a device (usually a disk partition). The device is usually of the following form: /dev/hda[1-8] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-8] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-8] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-8] (SCSI disk 2) The device may be a block device or a image file of one, but this is not enforced. Expect not much fun on a character device :-). The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. It is present only for backwards compatibility. If omit- ted the size will be determined automatically. Only block counts strictly greater than 10 and strictly less than 65536 are allowed. OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device for bad blocks before creating the filesystem. If any are found, the count is printed. -n, --namelength length Specify the maximum length of filenames. Currently, the only allowable values are 14 and 30 for file system versions 1 and 2. Ver- sion 3 allows only value 60. The default is 30. -i, --inodes number Specify the number of inodes for the filesystem. -l, --badblocks filename Read the list of bad blocks from filename. The file has one bad-block number per line. The count of bad blocks read is printed. -1 Make a Minix version 1 filesystem. This is the default. -2, -v Make a Minix version 2 filesystem. -3 Make a Minix version 3 filesystem. -V, --version Display version information and exit. The long option cannot be combined with other options. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.minix is one of the following: 0 No errors 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error SEE ALSO
fsck(8), mkfs(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2015 MKFS.MINIX(8)