Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pass Parameter to Another Script Post 19051 by rvprod on Friday 5th of April 2002 09:19:37 AM
Old 04-05-2002
Script1 is invoked by process. It is not manual. When this process makes Script1 run I want it to pass a parameter to Script2. There is more code in Script1 than what I am showing. I want Script2 to contain code outside of Script1 because there are 13 other scripts that use the code in Script2. I do not want to have to maintain the code in 13 scripts.

The code inside Script1 is:
Code:
nohup ./Script2 $ARE 

Then the code I have inside Script2 is:
Code:
if [ -z $1 ] 
# Checks if any params. 
then 
echo "No parameters passed to function." 
return 0 
else 

PARAM = $1 
  if [ ! -r $INDIR/$PARAM/* ]
  then
    #NO FILE IN THE IN DIRECTORY
  else
    ftp -vn xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <<- eof 
    user pswd 
    bin 
    mput * 
    bye 
    eof 
  fi 

fi

added code tags for readability --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-18-2004 at 04:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i pass parameter with spaces to csh script

Hello all i need to pass to my shell script parameter that looks like "2 3 3" inside the script i need to use this string that looks like this "2 3 3" but when i try to print the script im getting syntax error , this is my script : set s = $1 echo $s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter into script

I would like to write a scirpt a.sh that it first checks the first parameter of the input. If it fulfill some condition ,then run an executable program b by using all the parameter. ie. > ./a.sh 10 20 30 40 50 Then a.sh first checks the first parameter, 10, if it mathes the requirement, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the maximum number of parameter we can pass to a shell script function?

what is the maximum number of parameter we can pass to a shell script function (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass parameter to the main script from wrapper script

Hi, I am writing a wrapper script(wrap_script.sh) to one of the main scripts (main_script.sh) The main script is executed as following: ./main_script.sh <LIST> <STARTDATE> <ENDDATE> looks for a parameter which is a LIST(consists of different list names that need to be processed), START/END... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunnerz_84
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass string as a parameter in a script

Hi friends. i am newbie to shell scripting. I need to create a script where i will be passing 2 parameters to the script and based on that it should work. For ex: start_proc a 2 or start_proc b 2 start_proc a 2 --- this should bring up 2 processes as i define inside the script. start_proc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: friscouser
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to use parameter in sql script pass from unix script?

Hi, I am unable to use parameter in sql script passed from unix script. my sql script CREATE_SBI_LIST_GROUP.sql is like this - ------------------------------- SELECT SDS.ID "SO_ID", SDS.SO a1, sgp.sga__code SGA_CODE, FROM sga sga,sales_genl_provision sgp , comm_product_condn cpc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apskaushik
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter to nawk from shell script

I need to parse log files using nawk, but I'm not able to pass script input argument (date) to nawk, for example: ------------ #!/bin/ksh read date nawk -F, '{if($1==date) print $4" "$5}' ------------- Is there a way to pass an argument to nawk from shell script. Many thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
8 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass script with parameter in korn shell script

I have written a script which will take input parameter as another script. However, if the script passed as input parameter has parameters then this script doesn't work. I have a script b.ksh which has 1 and 2 as parameters I have a script c.ksh which has 3,4 and 5 as parameters vi a.ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How pass the input parameter to a file in the script ?

OS version: RHEL 6.7 myTextFile.txt file is referred within Script1.sh script, I only execute Script1.sh and I want the input variable to be passed inside myTextFile.txt . Any idea how I can do this ? $ cat script1.sh cat myTextFile.txt $ cat myTextFile.txt $1 Requirement1.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies
Tcl_DoWhenIdle(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DoWhenIdle(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DoWhenIdle, Tcl_CancelIdleCall - invoke a procedure when there are no pending events SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DoWhenIdle(proc, clientData) Tcl_CancelIdleCall(proc, clientData) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_IdleProc *proc (in) Procedure to invoke. ClientData clientData (in) Arbitrary one-word value to pass to proc. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DoWhenIdle arranges for proc to be invoked when the application becomes idle. The application is considered to be idle when Tcl_DoOneEvent has been called, could not find any events to handle, and is about to go to sleep waiting for an event to occur. At this point all pending Tcl_DoWhenIdle handlers are invoked. For each call to Tcl_DoWhenIdle there will be a single call to proc; after proc is invoked the handler is automatically removed. Tcl_DoWhenIdle is only usable in programs that use Tcl_DoOneEvent to dispatch events. Proc should have arguments and result that match the type Tcl_IdleProc: typedef void Tcl_IdleProc(ClientData clientData); The clientData parameter to proc is a copy of the clientData argument given to Tcl_DoWhenIdle. Typically, clientData points to a data structure containing application-specific information about what proc should do. Tcl_CancelIdleCall may be used to cancel one or more previous calls to Tcl_DoWhenIdle: if there is a Tcl_DoWhenIdle handler registered for proc and clientData, then it is removed without invoking it. If there is more than one handler on the idle list that refers to proc and clientData, all of the handlers are removed. If no existing handlers match proc and clientData then nothing happens. Tcl_DoWhenIdle is most useful in situations where (a) a piece of work will have to be done but (b) it is possible that something will hap- pen in the near future that will change what has to be done or require something different to be done. Tcl_DoWhenIdle allows the actual work to be deferred until all pending events have been processed. At this point the exact work to be done will presumably be known and it can be done exactly once. For example, Tcl_DoWhenIdle might be used by an editor to defer display updates until all pending commands have been processed. Without this feature, redundant redisplays might occur in some situations, such as the processing of a command file. BUGS
At present it is not safe for an idle callback to reschedule itself continuously. This will interact badly with certain features of Tk that attempt to wait for all idle callbacks to complete. If you would like for an idle callback to reschedule itself continuously, it is better to use a timer handler with a zero timeout period. KEYWORDS
callback, defer, idle callback Tcl 7.5 Tcl_DoWhenIdle(3)