Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers variables use upper case? sed : output to the same file? Post 19016 by gusla on Thursday 4th of April 2002 10:31:47 PM
Old 04-04-2002
Question variables use upper case? sed : output to the same file?

Hi,

Q1: are the variables in shell script usually UPPER CASE?

Q2: can sed output to the same file that it's using it?

eg. cat sameFile | sed 's/here/there/g' > sameFile ?

I expect the sed replace all "here" to "there" and change it in sameFile.

i tried that one, the sameFile is empty after the command, why?

thks

Gusla

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting file names to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to rename all my files in a directory to their upper case counterparts .... I want to do this in a single command and not through shell script ... I started off thinking it wud be simple but got stuck up in middle since tr does not work the way i thought ... This is what i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert specific field to upper case in file

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt as below I want to convert the date fields in to upper case field3 and field 6 output.txt Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper to lower case in encoded file

Hi All, I want to change the out put of a decode file from lower to upper. i used tr command but facing issue. set -vx id=$(id) dt=$(date) store=$1 if ]; then cd $APPL_TOP/local/bin cp .sqlpass.Z $$.temp.Z uncompress $$.temp.Z sed -e s/sqlpass/$$.sqlpass/ $$.temp >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)