Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Destroying data down to the 13th level??? Post 18845 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 03:54:47 PM
Old 04-03-2002
Something my instructor had us do in HPUX class a few years ago works too.

Create a tar file and write the output to a disk device. This should destroy any data that was there. Also, if you system has a /dev/zero file. You can write zeroes to the disk as well.

Like PxT said, as long as the disk is in a "secure" site you shouldn't have to worry too much.

BTW, that reference to 13th level is referring to the 13th level of hell, reserved for the most deserving of all evil creatures and persons!Smilie

Smilie

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

destroying the OS

Hi Guys I have a cool job to do and that's to destroy aix5.1 on two of my servers. I need to get rid of all information. I have thought of a way of doing this and wondered if any of you had any ideas!! Get the machine into maint mode and run the dd cmd! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: animata
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a value after 13th comma in a string

Suppose b=50,0,0,40,1,0,5000,gold,0,0,0,0,32,9,2,0,10000,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,BSNL_SMS_Bundle ,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,null,null,0,0,405564245,0 c=11 After 13th comma, the value of 9 needs to be changed and to be filled by another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karan23kohli
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

SSL certificate generation on OS level or application level

We have a RHEL 5.8 server at the production level and we have a Java application on this server. I know of the SSL certificate generation at the OS (RHEL) level but it is implemented on the Java application by our development team using the Java keytool. My doubt is that is the SSL generation can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)