Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory External Lacie USB hard disks Post 18787 by LivinFree on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 08:10:11 AM
Old 04-03-2002
You may need to specify to the mount command which filesystem you're mounting, in the case of mounting FAT volumes. If I recall correctly, the command would be something like "mount -t msdos /dev/blah /mnt/my_blah". Check the man page to be sure...

And I'm not sure is /dev/sd* is right for a USB device, although I've never tried mounting one myself. Typically, Linux systems use /dev/sd* for SCSI and /dev/hd* for IDE drives. What you can do is use the "dmesg" command in Linux to get a replay of the bootup messages, then read at your leisure:
dmesg | less
Look for a reference to your ZIP drive (assuming it was plugged in when you booted) - it should mention the device name with it.

If you can't find it in the dmesg output, post back, and we'll look a few other places...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

External USB

Is it possible to install Solaris 10 on an external USB drive? I'd like to dual boot Linux and Solaris 10. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: otterit
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mounting lacie hard drive to another suns system

I have two unix workstations. One crashed :( , but the other is still operating efficiently. We have a Lacie external hard drive attached to the workstation that failed. I would like to mount the external drive to the workstation that is still functioning. I am not very familiar with how to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tmarsha6
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Hard disks in solaris

I need to insert a new hard disk into a Sun Fire v210 machine. The (only) internal disk which is already in the machine is part number XRA-SC1CB-73G10K (DISK DRIVE ASSY. 73GB, 10K RPM, with SPUD BRACKET). I also have nearly endless access to IBM hard disks at extremely low prices and would there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

4. Solaris

FAT32 usb external hard drive - how to mount??

Hello ! What is the comand to mount and usb hard disk ? I have Solaris 10 installed! 10nx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daniel.balasa
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Get onyl local hard disks

How can I get only the local hard disks in Solaris? I've tried iostat -x, iostat -E, etc, but it shows the cdroms, dvds, external storage... I want only the local physical hard disks. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

external USb hard disk reading problem

Hello, I am facing a hard disk drive reading problem since last one month and not able to resolve it. The thing is I purchased external USB hard disk (seagate 40 gb) 2 years back.And uptil now its working perfectly fine. But suddenly one day I am not able to read my data. The problem goes like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertspade
1 Replies

7. Solaris

USB External Hard Drive for Solaris 10 Sparc

Hi- I would like to know if anyone has used any USB External Hard Drive, about 500/750GB or 1TB, with any of the Solaris 10 "SPARC" systems. Not on intel nor amd platform. I'm looking for the compatible drive and found a few listed on Sun solaris ready page, but I'd like to have inputs from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agfa_109
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to automatically mount external usb hard disk

hi all, I have a debian lenny 5.0 server without GNOME installed. the server is at a customer's premise. I want to backup data from the server to the external usb hard disk. the backup will start at e.g 01:00 everyday. the user will plug the drive before going home. also the user will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Waking Up USB External Hard Drive for file archiving

Hello Experts, I hope I'm writing to the correct category for my question. I have a very basic shell script for doing file archiving to the external usb hard drive (WD studio edition II 2TB formatted as FAT32 for compatibility). The shell script only needs to run once per day. It basically... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johankor
8 Replies
Device::USB::PCSensor::HidTEMPer::NTC::External(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation   Device::USB::PCSensor::HidTEMPer::NTC::External(3pm)

Device::USB::PCSensor::HidTEMPer::NTC::Internal - The HidTEMPerNTC external sensor

VERSION
Version 0.02 SYNOPSIS
None DESCRIPTION
This is the implementation of the HidTEMPerNTC external sensor. CONSTANTS o MAX_TEMPERATURE The highest temperature(150 degrees celsius) this sensor can detect. o MIN_TEMPERATURE The lowest temperature(-50 degrees celsius) this sensor can detect. o INITIAL_GAIN The initial gain value used to calculate voltage returned o CALIBRATION_VALUES Values used to calculate Volt7705Calibration METHODS o new() Returns a new External sensor object. o celsius() Returns the current temperature from the device in celsius degrees. The formula used to calculate value based on a calibrated key value is created using the Eureqa tool from Cornell Computational Synthesis Lab, http://ccsl.mae.cornell.edu/eureqa. Resulting in the use of this formula instead of the provided number list: f(y)=66.7348/(66.7275/(67.8088 - 9.70353*log(0.000251309 + y*y)) - 0.21651) If you find another formula that is more accurate please drop me a line. The data used can be found in the source code of this file. INHERIT METHODS FROM
Device::USB::PCSensor::HidTEMPer::Sensor DEPENDENCIES
This module internally includes and takes use of the following packages: use Carp; use Time::HiRes qw / sleep /; use Device::USB::PCSensor::HidTEMPer::Sensor; This module uses the strict and warning pragmas. BUGS
Please report any bugs or missing features using the CPAN RT tool. FOR MORE INFORMATION
None AUTHOR
Magnus Sulland < msulland@cpan.org > ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This code includes findings done by Robin B. Jensen, http://www.drunkardswalk.dk, when converting the received hex values into volt. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright (c) 2010 Magnus Sulland This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-07-24 Device::USB::PCSensor::HidTEMPer::NTC::External(3pm)