Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setting max log file size...
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting setting max log file size... Post 18640 by Jimbo on Monday 1st of April 2002 09:26:07 AM
Old 04-01-2002
My script above is to get rid of the older portion of large files while maintaining the newer portion. It could downsize when a file hits a certain number of characters instead of number of lines. Both the wc and tail commands support number of characters.

But if you just want to empty the large files, that's a lot easier. The easiest way to empty a file and leave it there is:

> myfile

and if running as root, ownership and file permissions will remain unchanged. Normally you can use the -exec parameter on a find command to do some command on each qualifying file, such as:

find . -name "test*" -exec rm {} \;

but I was not able to get the redirection command above to work in this context. But there are several ways to feed the filenames, such as piping into xargs. I would suggest the following, but test it first by replacing the "> $fn" with "echo $fn":
Code:
#!/bin/sh
for fn in `find . -size 2000`
do
> $fn
done
exit 0

Jimbo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Max file size can't exceed 2 GB

We have Sun OS 5.9 we are doing a backup process (ProC program) that uses the function... fprintf(fp,"%s;%s;%s;%s;%s;%ld;%ld;%ld;%ld;%s;%s;%s;%d;%s;%s;%s;%ld;%s;%s;%s;%ld;%ld;%s;%ld;%s;%ld;%s;%s;%c%c",x_contrno, x_subno, x_b_subno,x_transdate,x_last_traffic_date,BillAmt_s, x_billamount_int,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to determine the max file size

Does anyone know a way to determine the maximum filesize on a file system on Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, and OSF1 using the command line? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dknight
2 Replies

3. Solaris

max. size of file

I wants to ask that what is the max size of file that we can create in the unix file system. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameerghogre
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Max. file size

i want to know what is the maximum file size supported by linux with ext3 file system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAX file size limited to 2GB

Hi All, We are running HP rp7400 box with hpux 11iv1. Recently, we changed 3 kernel parameters a) msgseg from 32560 to 32767 b) msgmnb from 65536 to 65535 c) msgssz from 128 to 256 Then we noticed that all application debug file size increase upto 2GB then it stops. So far we did not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhbd
1 Replies

6. SuSE

Setting the max open files value

I'm trying to set the open files value to 4000 on a SLES 9 system. Current values:ulimit -n 1024 I can set it using this:ulimit -n 4000 ulimit -n 4000 But this obviously sets it only for the shell session where I run the command to set it. I want to set this to 4000 for all time. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
3 Replies

7. Solaris

File size setting

There is a file in my Unix Server whose size will be constant. But every day when the sheduled jobs run in the server, that file gets updated but the size does not change. Upon doing file filename It is dispalyed as a binary file. Can anyone please explain how that file is created. How is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: exterminator
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict Max file size

Hello All, I am working on an issue, where I need to check the max file size of a file. If the file size exceeds 2 GB, then I need to generate an error message. Since the file system does not allow a file to be created larger than 2 GB, I am planning to use named pipes & AWK file to acheive my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: puru2121
6 Replies

9. AIX

Profile Max CPU Setting

I have a system with the following settings: min:0.10 Assigned: 2.0 Max: 6.0 Partition is uncapped weight is 128. I would like to know if even if this is uncapped, is the max it can use 6? The actual pool has 16. I remember reading about this somewhere but I don't remember can anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techy1
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Clamd max file size Solaris 10

Hi, I've compiled a 64-bit version of ClamAV 0.98.7 on my Solaris 10 SPARC server. I have a selection of files all containing the eicar signature but clamd is only picking up the signature in the files <2GB. I have the following set in clamd.conf, to remove file size checking: MaxScanSize 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Troutfest
4 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors [-s min_timestamp] doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors [-s min_timestamp] The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. -s min_timestamp An integer value, representing seconds since the epoch - also known as Unix timestamp. When a min_timestamp was given, doveadm(1) will only show errors occurred since that point in time. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-11-24 DOVEADM-LOG(1)