Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lost+found
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users lost+found Post 18590 by dhasarath on Sunday 31st of March 2002 03:44:59 AM
Old 03-31-2002
Lightbulb Restoring the files from lost+found.....

As the Size of your filesystem has reduced to an incredible low value,
Lot of Data (files & directories) might be lost.

For restoring the Files & Directories that have got stored in the lost+found
directory read the below mentioned lines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When FSCK is performed on a FILE System,

example : fsck -o f /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s4
where /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 is mounted on /export

And if FSCK encounters any problem with the FileSystem SuperBlock Entries,
It prompts for a confirmation to rectify the problem, When Confirmation is provided,
FSCK tries to rectify the problem either correcting the Entries in the SuperBlock
or by moving the files[having the problem] into the /FileSystem/lost+found Directory.

example : ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
UNREF FILE I=788 OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=19994 MTIME=Jan 18 10:49 2001
RECONNECT? y

In this case the file with INODE Number 788 is moved into the /export/lost+found
directory as

# ls /export/lost+found

For Restoring the file in /export/lost+found into /export perform the below mentioned
tasks :

# ls /var/tmp/c0t0d0s4*
/var/tmp/c0t0d0s4_log

View this file to know the Correct File Name & Path for the corresponding file stored in the
/export/lost+found Directory with the INODE_Number as the FileName.
And then MOVE or COPY the file from /export/lost+found Directory into the Correct Path
mentioned in the LOG File.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this it will work fine. Good Luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost+found

Hi all, after a crash of our SUN Server 220R on file system was corrupt and I had run fsck getting a lost of files/dir's in the lost+found of the file system loking like drwxrwxr-x 2 lmxadmin DOS---- 512 Oct 31 21:04 #0007680 drwxrwxr-x 2 lammer DOS---- 512 Jan 29 09:29... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost+found directory

what is the directory "lost+found" and how is it used? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ben070371
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is lost+found dir?

hi all, just wanted to know what is lost+found dir for? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bok
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lost+Found is not available

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3.3 running on IBM pseries server. I have some jfs filesystems running on it. I dont see Lost+Found directory in them. Can anybody guide me why it is not available. Cheers, Vinod.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod2all
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Deleted Lost+Found directory

If you delete your lost & found directory, how do you get it back, just do a mkdir? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in Lost+Found

Hi, upon reboot of our test solaris 9 box, I was prompted to run fsck on one of the filesystems (/var). This resulted in placing all the files in the lost+found directory. I have no backup. What are my options to place the files back to /var (from lost+found, is it possible?). Appreciate any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spricks
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Does anyone have or know of a script to help sort and display a large lost+found directory? i've googled this but not much help solaris 9 thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrish
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost+found

I need to try and sort 125gb of lost+found files and directories that look like from testing the files are good in some areas. Does anyone know of a script using strings, file, find, etc. to help sort something like this........can't find it on google. thks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morrish
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to recover data from lost+found

Hi All, I am facing a problem of filesystem corruption,where i am trying to recover data with fsck -f <device name> ,now it restore the corrupted data in lost+found directory.Please let me know how to recover the data from lost+found directory. Thanks, Shailesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbapotikar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

lost+found

Hi, What is lost+found in linux ? Cheers, snj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies
FSCK(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FSCK(1)

NAME
fsck, fsck1 - perform file system consistency check SYNOPSIS
fsck [-aclmrs] [device] ... OPTIONS
-a Automatically repair inconsistencies -c Check and list only the specified i-nodes -l List the files and directories in the filesytem -r Prompt user for repairs if inconsistencies are found -s List the superblock of the file system EXAMPLES
fsck /dev/hd4 # Check file system on /dev/hd4 fsck -a /dev/at0 # Automatically fix errors on /dev/at0 fsck -l /dev/fd0 # List the contents of /dev/fd0 fsck -c 2 3 /dev/hd3 # Check and list /dev/hd3 i-nodes 2 & 3 DESCRIPTION
Fsck performs consistency checks on the file systems which reside on the specified devices. Fsck1 is an alternate version for use on obso- lete V1 file systems. When either the -a or -r flags are given, the file system will be repaired if errors are found. Before running fsck on a mounted file system, it must first be unmounted. Trying to repair a mounted file system is dangerous and should not be attempted. To repair the root file system (which cannot be unmounted), first type CTRL-F9 at the console to kill any and all processes. Log back in as root, type sync to force any buffered changes to disk, run fsck on the root file system and immediately reboot the computer by typing reboot. It is necessary to kill all processes before repairing the root file system to prevent them from modifying any disk blocks while fsck is running. This is only necessary for the root file system, any other file system can simply be unmounted before it is checked. SEE ALSO
mkfs(1), mount(1). FSCK(1)