Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Permissions in Mac OS X
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Permissions in Mac OS X Post 18558 by liveapple2000 on Friday 29th of March 2002 11:31:49 PM
Old 03-30-2002
File Permissions in Mac OS X

On my Mac OS X machine, I would like to edit the httpd.conf Apache configuration file. When I open the file up in TextEdit or even VI, I get an error that there was an error saving the file. I tried "su root" and that still does not work. I heard that the "chown" command can change the file permissions but I come from a Microsoft Windows background and I do not know how to use this command, so could someone please post a reply to this message that has instructions on how to change the permissions? Thank you for your time.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retain file permissions when saving .sh file from internet [OS X]

Hello. I have written a bash script that I am sharing with an OS X community I am a member of. The purpose of the script is to execute a series of commands for members without them having to get involved with Terminal, as it can be daunting for those with no experience of it at all. I have renamed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baza210
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mac. PHP fopen() does not create a file. Permissions.

5Thank you to those who responded. After a crazy amount of troubleshooting and getting hints and feedback from others, I was so darn determined to get on with my tutorials and I found the solution myself. Keyword search: php and 'Mac computer' and fopen and chmod. Using:php and Mac and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iHaveAQuestion
1 Replies

6. Web Development

Mac. PHP. fopen( ) does not create a file. Permissions.

Thank you to those who responded. After a crazy amount of troubleshooting and getting hints and feedback from others, I was so darn determined to get on with my tutorials and I found the solution myself. Keyword search: php and 'Mac computer' and fopen and chmod. Using: php and Mac and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iHaveAQuestion
2 Replies
Apache::Reload(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Apache::Reload(3)

NAME
Apache::Reload - Reload changed modules SYNOPSIS
In httpd.conf: PerlInitHandler Apache::Reload PerlSetVar ReloadAll Off Then your module: package My::Apache::Module; use Apache::Reload; sub handler { ... } 1; DESCRIPTION
This module is two things. First it is an adaptation of Randal Schwartz's Stonehenge::Reload module that attempts to be a little more intuitive and makes the usage easier. Stonehenge::Reload was written by Randal to make specific modules reload themselves when they changed. Unlike Apache::StatINC, Stonehenge::Reload only checked the change time of modules that registered themselves with Stonehenge::Reload, thus reducing stat() calls. Apache::Reload also offers the exact same functionality as Apache::StatINC, and is thus designed to be a drop-in replacement. Apache::Reload only checks modules that register themselves with Apache::Reload if you explicitly turn off the StatINC emulation method (see below). Like Apache::StatINC, Apache::Reload must be installed as an Init Handler. StatINC Replacement To use as a StatINC replacement, simply add the following configuration to your httpd.conf: PerlInitHandler Apache::Reload Register Modules Implicitly To only reload modules that have registered with Apache::Reload, add the following to the httpd.conf: PerlInitHandler Apache::Reload PerlSetVar ReloadAll Off # ReloadAll defaults to On Then any modules with the line: use Apache::Reload; Will be reloaded when they change. Register Modules Explicitly You can also register modules explicitly in your httpd.conf file that you want to be reloaded on change: PerlInitHandler Apache::Reload PerlSetVar ReloadAll Off PerlSetVar ReloadModules "My::Foo My::Bar Foo::Bar::Test" Note that these are split on whitespace, but the module list must be in quotes, otherwise Apache tries to parse the parameter list. Un-Register Modules Explicitly If ReloadAll is set to On, then you can explicity force a module not to be reloaded with no Apache::Reload; A warning will appear in the error log that the file has changed, but will not be reloaded Special "Touch" File You can also set a file that you can touch() that causes the reloads to be performed. If you set this, and don't touch() the file, the reloads don't happen. This can be a great boon in a live environment: PerlSetVar ReloadTouchFile /tmp/reload_modules Now when you're happy with your changes, simply go to the command line and type: touch /tmp/reload_modules And your modules will be magically reloaded on the next request. This option works in both StatINC emulation mode and the registered modules mode. PSUEDOHASHES
The short summary of this is: Don't use psuedohashes. Use an array with constant indexes. Its faster in the general case, its more guaranteed, and generally, it works. The long summary is that I've done some work to get this working with modules that use psuedo hashes, but its still broken in the case of a single module that contains multiple packages that all use psuedohashes. So don't do that. AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org MAINTAINERS
the mod_perl developers, dev@perl.apache.org SEE ALSO
Apache::StatINC, Stonehenge::Reload perl v5.18.2 2015-06-18 Apache::Reload(3)