Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Total Memory/Swap Memory
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Total Memory/Swap Memory Post 18548 by ghe1 on Friday 29th of March 2002 03:17:52 PM
Old 03-29-2002
Here's the deal: I have already put together a script that runs on a linux environment 32-bit machine, but it does not work on an IRIX or SUN or Tru64, so I was wondering if there was something universal for all unix machines. I am quite familar with "vmstat", "swap -l", "swapon -s", but I need an executable and not command line code. As to what OS and shells used, I need to be able to cover them all. This function needs to cover a wide range of machines.

I also already have the "Unix in a Nutshell," by O'Reilly. I use it faithfully.

I will check /var/adm/messages..."dmesg." Haven't tried that yet, its worth a shot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

swap memory

Hi Can any help me on setting the swap memory ? I would like to set swap memory for installing oracle 9i software. RAM - 512 Mb HDD - 40 Gb OS - Sun Solaris 5.9 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaramat
6 Replies

2. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Memory / Swap

Hi all Got myself in a pickle here, chasing my own tail and am confused. Im trying to work out memory / swap on my solaris 10 server, that Im using zones on. Server A has 32Gb of raw memory, ZFS across the root /mirror drives. # prtdiag -v | grep mem = Memory size: 32768 Megabytes #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

swap memory

Hi, I want to see used swap memory I know that for this there is command free -m but this shows Swap: 16383 4529 11854 by top command while load is 1.05 max CPU % 24 mysqld why used swap shows 4529 either it is not flushed there is other command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Total Memory

Hi, I have a strange issue where the total memory on the server is showing low. At the moment 8 GB of memory is installed and only 3 GB is showing on the shell prompt. I am using the commands free -m and vmstat to check the memory. Please help me out in identifying the issue. With regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Query regarding swap memory

Hi, Please help explain and answer the below: 1. I need to predetermine how much swap will my JVM use if it is started with -Xms 512M and -Xmx 1024M ? 2. Can a JVM process just use the Heap and not the Swap memory ? 3. If the Total physical RAM on my server is 8 GB and current Heap... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is swap and Shared memory the same ?

In Linux, Unix environments Is swap and Shared memory the same ? In Linux, swap is mounted on /dev/shm ? I am wondering if the naming of 'shm' has anything to do with Shared memory ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

How much Swap memory do i have ?

here is the output of swapinfo command ==> swapinfo Kb Kb Kb PCT START/ Kb TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME dev 8192000 0 8184000 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/swap reserve - 8184000 -8184000 memory ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap memory

Hi team, Is there any ability to force the system to use the swap memory for a specific service? And prevent another service of using the swap memory? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

SWAP memory

Admins, How can I configure the server so that it will utilize the swap file as little as possible? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would say change the value of sysctl - vm.swappiness? And if, how can I keep it permenatly even after rebooting the system? since no related parameters in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats - Collect linux memory information. SYNOPSIS
use Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats; my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new; my $stat = $lxs->get; DESCRIPTION
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats gathers memory statistics from the virtual /proc filesystem (procfs). For more information read the documentation of the front-end module Sys::Statistics::Linux. MEMORY INFORMATIONS
Generated by /proc/meminfo. memused - Total size of used memory in kilobytes. memfree - Total size of free memory in kilobytes. memusedper - Total size of used memory in percent. memtotal - Total size of memory in kilobytes. buffers - Total size of buffers used from memory in kilobytes. cached - Total size of cached memory in kilobytes. realfree - Total size of memory is real free (memfree + buffers + cached). realfreeper - Total size of memory is real free in percent of total memory. swapused - Total size of swap space is used is kilobytes. swapfree - Total size of swap space is free in kilobytes. swapusedper - Total size of swap space is used in percent. swaptotal - Total size of swap space in kilobytes. swapcached - Memory that once was swapped out, is swapped back in but still also is in the swapfile. active - Memory that has been used more recently and usually not reclaimed unless absolutely necessary. inactive - Memory which has been less recently used and is more eligible to be reclaimed for other purposes. On earlier kernels (2.4) Inact_dirty + Inact_laundry + Inact_clean. The following statistics are only available by kernels from 2.6. slab - Total size of memory in kilobytes that used by kernel for data structure allocations. dirty - Total size of memory pages in kilobytes that waits to be written back to disk. mapped - Total size of memory in kilbytes that is mapped by devices or libraries with mmap. writeback - Total size of memory that was written back to disk. committed_as - The amount of memory presently allocated on the system. The following statistic is only available by kernels from 2.6.9. commitlimit - Total amount of memory currently available to be allocated on the system. METHODS
new() Call "new()" to create a new object. my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new; It's possible to set the path to the proc filesystem. Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new( files => { # This is the default path => '/proc', meminfo => 'meminfo', } ); get() Call "get()" to get the statistics. "get()" returns the statistics as a hash reference. my $stat = $lxs->get; EXPORTS
No exports. SEE ALSO
proc(5) REPORTING BUGS
Please report all bugs to <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. AUTHOR
Jonny Schulz <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006, 2007 by Jonny Schulz. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-09 Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)