Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What happened to my user accounts? Post 18424 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of March 2002 08:17:26 AM
Old 03-28-2002
I'm with LivinFree, ~ is your home directory and the root's home directory is /. You need a "chmod 755 /" to fix this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Accounts

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to display a list of all existing user accounts on the system, not neccesarily looged in. Thanks in advance Stephen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sroberts82
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user accounts

Hey everyone I am new to the forums and to Unix. I am currently taking a class on Unix, our teacher posed the question to us How do u create a user account without using GUI or command? We are currently running Knoppix version of Unix and for the life of me I can't figure out how this is possible.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redditt90kg
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating user accounts

Hi, I have written a program using shell scripting. When you run the file it will asks you to enter the user name, if the user exists it says " user exists " if not it will displays like " user doesnt exist" and then asks you like " do you want to add user with options Yes or No " if you say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaprasad
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with user accounts

Hi All, How to know all the shells a user has access. Thank you . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Thunderbird user accounts

Hi All I am trying to find a way to set-up a thunderbird account by using a script, i have been trying to to add the lines into the pref.js file but it keeps getting overwritten any help would be great thanks Adam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)