Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lost+found
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users lost+found Post 18421 by Perderabo on Thursday 28th of March 2002 07:41:41 AM
Old 03-28-2002
First, ufsrestore recovers files from a tape prviously written by ufsdump. It's a cool program, but it won't move stuff out of lost+found.

You can manually move things from lost+found by doing stuff like "mv /lost+found/143226 /etc/passwd" or whatever. But moving a file from one point to another point in the same filesystem never increases its size. If your disk is 16% full now, after the moves it will still be 16% full. If your disk was previously 63% full, then you are missing lots of stuff.

I never try to fix a filesystem that is this badly damaged. I would newfs it and completely reload from backup. Unless it is root, it which case I would reinstall the OS. Sorry for the bad news.

You would think that the superblock at least would be ok after a "fsck -y"; but I believe you, because the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago only on a SunOS 2.5.1 box. It may be that Sun's fsck is less than robust.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost+found

Hi all, after a crash of our SUN Server 220R on file system was corrupt and I had run fsck getting a lost of files/dir's in the lost+found of the file system loking like drwxrwxr-x 2 lmxadmin DOS---- 512 Oct 31 21:04 #0007680 drwxrwxr-x 2 lammer DOS---- 512 Jan 29 09:29... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPAI
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lost+found directory

what is the directory "lost+found" and how is it used? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ben070371
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is lost+found dir?

hi all, just wanted to know what is lost+found dir for? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bok
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lost+Found is not available

Hi, I have a AIX 4.3.3 running on IBM pseries server. I have some jfs filesystems running on it. I dont see Lost+Found directory in them. Can anybody guide me why it is not available. Cheers, Vinod.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod2all
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Deleted Lost+Found directory

If you delete your lost & found directory, how do you get it back, just do a mkdir? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in Lost+Found

Hi, upon reboot of our test solaris 9 box, I was prompted to run fsck on one of the filesystems (/var). This resulted in placing all the files in the lost+found directory. I have no backup. What are my options to place the files back to /var (from lost+found, is it possible?). Appreciate any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spricks
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lost+found

Does anyone have or know of a script to help sort and display a large lost+found directory? i've googled this but not much help solaris 9 thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrish
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost+found

I need to try and sort 125gb of lost+found files and directories that look like from testing the files are good in some areas. Does anyone know of a script using strings, file, find, etc. to help sort something like this........can't find it on google. thks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morrish
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to recover data from lost+found

Hi All, I am facing a problem of filesystem corruption,where i am trying to recover data with fsck -f <device name> ,now it restore the corrupted data in lost+found directory.Please let me know how to recover the data from lost+found directory. Thanks, Shailesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbapotikar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

lost+found

Hi, What is lost+found in linux ? Cheers, snj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies
CLRI(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CLRI(8)

NAME
clri -- clear an inode SYNOPSIS
clri special_device inode_number ... DESCRIPTION
Clri is obsoleted for normal file system repair work by fsck(8). Clri zeros out the inodes with the specified inode number(s) on the filesystem residing on the given special_device. The fsck(8) utility is usually run after clri to reclaim the zero'ed inode(s) and the blocks previously claimed by those inode(s). Both read and write permission are required on the specified special_device. The primary purpose of this routine is to remove a file which for some reason is not being properly handled by fsck(8). Once removed, it is anticipated that fsck(8) will be able to clean up the resulting mess. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fsdb(8), icheck(8), ncheck(8) BUGS
If the file is open, the work of clri will be lost when the inode is written back to disk from the inode cache. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 19, 1994 4th Berkeley Distribution