Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What happened to my user accounts? Post 18383 by jskillet on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 06:58:39 PM
Old 03-27-2002
I use the latest version of Putty and everything works fine. I can connect and logon as root just fine. I just cannot logon as any other user. This server is an FTP so none of the users can connect via FTP as well. They recieve "Logon Failed". When the system boots up, there is a message that the ytem could not read from the passwd file but the permissions on the passwd file are 444 and 400 for the shadow file. Luckily I am able to still logon as root and copy all of my files to another system. But I would still like to know if anyone has ever encountered a situation like this before. It baffles me how one minute everything works great and the next everything is broken. The last thing I did on the server before it went nuts was set some permissions on a user's home directory. I know I did a "chmod ~" on accident, but didn't think this was even a valid command so I didn't think nothing of it. Oh well, I may just have to bite the bullet on this one and re-install, but if anyone has any ideas....I would love to hear them.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Accounts

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to display a list of all existing user accounts on the system, not neccesarily looged in. Thanks in advance Stephen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sroberts82
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user accounts

Hey everyone I am new to the forums and to Unix. I am currently taking a class on Unix, our teacher posed the question to us How do u create a user account without using GUI or command? We are currently running Knoppix version of Unix and for the life of me I can't figure out how this is possible.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redditt90kg
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating user accounts

Hi, I have written a program using shell scripting. When you run the file it will asks you to enter the user name, if the user exists it says " user exists " if not it will displays like " user doesnt exist" and then asks you like " do you want to add user with options Yes or No " if you say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaprasad
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Help with user accounts

Hi All, How to know all the shells a user has access. Thank you . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
0 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Thunderbird user accounts

Hi All I am trying to find a way to set-up a thunderbird account by using a script, i have been trying to to add the lines into the pref.js file but it keeps getting overwritten any help would be great thanks Adam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies
bsmconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       bsmconv(1M)

NAME
bsmconv, bsmunconv - enable or disable the Basic Security Module (BSM) on Solaris SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/bsmconv [rootdir...] /etc/security/bsmunconv [rootdir...] DESCRIPTION
The bsmconv and bsmunconv scripts are used to enable or disable the BSM features on a Solaris system. The optional argument rootdir is a list of one or more root directories of diskless clients that have already been configured. See smdiskless(1M). To enable or disable BSM on a diskless client, a server, or a stand-alone system, logon as super-user to the system being converted and use the bsmconv or bsmunconv commands without any options. To enable or disable BSM on a diskless client from that client's server, logon to the server as super-user and use bsmconv, specifying the root directory of each diskless client you wish to affect. For example, the command: myhost# bsmconv /export/root/client1 /export/root/client2 enables BSM on the two machines named client1 and client2. While the command: myhost# bsmconv enables BSM only on the machine called myhost. It is no longer necessary to enable BSM on both the server and its diskless clients. After running bsmconv the system can be configured by editing the files in /etc/security. Each diskless client has its own copy of configu- ration files in its root directory. You might want to edit these files before rebooting each client. Following the completion of either script, the affected system(s) should be rebooted to allow the auditing subsystem to come up properly initialized. FILES
The following files are created by bsmconv: /etc/security/device_maps Administrative file defining the mapping of device special files to allocatable device names. /etc/security/device_allocate Administrative file defining parameters for device allocation. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auditconfig(1M), auditd(1M), audit_startup(1M), audit.log(4), audit_control(4), attributes(5) NOTES
bsmconv and bsmunconv are not valid in a non-global zone. SunOS 5.10 26 May 2004 bsmconv(1M)