Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fsck -y
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory fsck -y Post 18322 by LivinFree on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 03:20:15 AM
Old 03-27-2002
You should probably take it down to single user, so you can unmount all filesystems. In that case, either log in as root or use "su -".

In some cases (like Linux, not too sure about others), it would actually even be easier (better?) to reboot, boot up off of a floppy (so no disk partitions are mounted), and run it from there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fsck

OS: Solaris 5.8 Everytime I run fsck -y I get: FILE SYSTEM STATE IN SUPERBLOCK IS WRONG; FIX? yes Do I need to run fsck with the backup superblock option or is there some other option I should use. I have tried the format->analyze->read option but that does not report any corrupt blocks.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fsck - what should be done?

I want to use fsck to check and repair my linux system. When I use this command, what do I need to pay attention to or what should I do to make job running successfully. Thanks for your inputs for a newbie. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck ques

hy guys I got a ques I cant acess root, i tried to fsck it, but gets errors to read file systems. What steps do you take to recover the host before you see if there is any data corruption on the root drive? Regards Charneet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charneet
1 Replies

4. Solaris

fsck -o

Hello I am getting this in dmesg: /mount1: unexpected free inode 1262865, run fsck(1M) -o f What are the options I should use with fsck? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about fsck

i want to know what does it mean by doing a consistentcy check fsck on a disk and why journaling filesystems dont need to do it and what is meant by disk is in a consistent state when writing because entries are recorded in a journal and then to the metadata and then removed from journal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farhan_t49
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fsck error

Hello I own a SPARC Ultra 10 workstation (standalone) and when issuing the fsck command I get the following output on fs C0t0d0s7: Phase 1 (checks blocks and sizes): dada warning: /pci@lf;0/pci@1, 1/ide@3/dad@0,0(dad1): ATA Transport failed:reason, `incomplete'> Uncorrectable data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjwops
2 Replies

7. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fsck issue on /

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same. WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayPuttu
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Fsck in vxvm

Hi, When we are running fsck in vxvm FS within few sec it will completed even if data is more than 500GB or in TB also. compare to UFS FS in that it will take more time compare with vxvm.UFS check FS in block level. & then vvxm on where its checking the FS. Please explain. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger09
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Fsck question

Dear all, solaris version -------------------- Oracle Solaris 10 9/10 s10s_u9wos_14a SPARC Copyright (c) 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Assembled 11 August 2010 -bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS nblabsvr 5.10 Generic_144488-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
5 Replies
volencap(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       volencap(8)

NAME
volencap, volreconfig - Encapsulates disks, partitions, or AdvFS domains SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volencap [-g diskgroup] [-p volprefix] [privlen=nn] [nconfig=nn] { diskname | partition_name | domain_name }... /usr/sbin/volencap -k { diskname | partition_name | domain_name }... /usr/sbin/volencap -k -a /usr/sbin/volencap -s /sbin/volreconfig OPTIONS
Puts the encapsulated disk into the disk group specified by disk group ID or disk group name. Instructs volencap to use the specified vol- prefix as the prefix for LSM volume names generated. This is useful if the LSM volume names generated already exist. Instructs volencap to remove any pending encapsulation requests for the specified disk(s), partition(s), or domain(s). Instructs volencap to remove all pending encapsulation requests. Displays all pending encapsulation requests. DESCRIPTION
Disk partitions that have data can be added to LSM using the encapsulation process. This enables users with existing data in disk parti- tions to easily migrate to the use of LSM volumes instead of disk partitions. The /usr/sbin/volencap command is used to encapsulate one or many disk partitions or AdvFS domains. If an individual partition is specified for encapsulation, the volencap command creates a nopriv disk and a volume for that partition. If an entire disk is specified, the volencap command creates a nopriv disk and volume for each in-use partition on the disk. If an AdvFS domain is specified, all disk partitions in the domain are converted to LSM volumes. You can use the volencap command to encapsulate the partitions on the boot disk, including the root file system, primary swap, usr and var partitions, to place them under LSM control. See the Logical Storage Manager manual for more information on encapsulating these partitions. The volencap command can be run directly or through the voldiskadm menus. The volencap command generates LSM commands that are later exe- cuted by the /sbin/volreconfig command to perform the actual conversion of disk partitions to LSM volumes. If the disk partition contains a mounted file system or is otherwise open or in use, the volreconfig command will reboot the system to com- plete the encapsulation process. If you cannot reboot the system at the time you encapsulate the disk partition, either defer running the volreconfig command until you can reboot the system, or unmount or close the disk partition, then run the volreconfig command. See the Logical Storage Manager manual for more details. ATTRIBUTES
Specifies the size of the LSM private region in bytes, for example, privlen=1024. Specifies the number of log copies and copies of the configuration database, for example, nconfig=0. EXAMPLES
To encapsulate all disk partitions on the boot disk called dsk0 to LSM volumes, enter: # volencap dsk0 # volreconfig The volreconfig command will request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will execute as the system reboots. To encapsulate only the root file system (dsk0a) and swap (dsk0b) partitions on the boot disk, enter: # volencap dsk0a dsk0b # volreconfig The volreconfig command will request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will execute as the system reboots. To convert all disk partitions in the AdvFS domain called dom1 to LSM volumes, enter: # volencap dom1 # volreconfig The volreconfig command will determine if the domain is active, and if so, request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will execute as the system reboots. If the AdvFS filesets in domain dom1 are not mounted, then /sbin/volreconfig can be executed on the command line. To encapsulate the specific partition dsk1g to an LSM volume, enter: # volencap dsk1g # volreconfig The volreconfig command will determine if the partition is open, and if so, request confirmation prior to rebooting the system. The LSM command scripts created by the volencap command will be executed as the system reboots. SEE ALSO
volintro(8) volencap(8)