Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How do I create desktop icons for the shell programs I create??? Post 18276 by TRUEST on Tuesday 26th of March 2002 01:25:30 PM
Old 03-26-2002
How do I create desktop icons for the shell programs I create???

I am a bash shell programmer and I create programs on occasional basis.

Now, I dont want my programs to be run by typing out its name at a command line. I want to make it as user friendly as possible. I want to create icons on the desktop so users can click on it. mind you, I said "desktop icons" not "panel applets".

Also, is there anyway i can design my own icons instead of picking from the list of icons given to me by my operating system which is Linux Red Hat 7.2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redhat 7.2 icons on desktop

Hello all, Is there a way to change the behavior of the gnome desktop manager so that when your iconify a window it will be place on the desktop intead on on the task manager (gnome-panel)? It gets confusing having to loook throught the gnome-panle for the window I want when you have alot of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larry
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create Alias on Desktop

Hi, I just need a simple UNIX command to send out over ARD that will create an alias to an application and place it on the desktop. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yodomino6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create and remove desktop icons from shell scripts

hi all how to create and remove desktop icons or icons from shell scripts? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkpal
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to create a shell

hi , this is girish, i need an help for creating a shell (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgirishbabu
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Auto Arrange desktop icons

Hi all, I want to auto-arrange the desktop icons in Solaris 10. I believe it uses the nautilus file manager. thanks in advance oky (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oky
0 Replies

7. Debian

Create restricted user for programs

want to create a user account for each of the key programs installed on my debian server. For example, for the following programs: Tomcat Nginx Supervisor PostgreSQL This seems to be recommended based on my reading online. However, I want to restrict these user accounts as much as possible,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Create/remove desktop short cuts via command line RHEL 6.3....

I would like to write a script that would remove and/or create shortcuts in Gnome desktop in RHEL 6.3... I googled all over the place could never find what I needed... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruberked
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a desktop launcher for programs

hi all, i want to create a desktop launcher for multiple programs and save it to everyones users desktop i want to create a launcher panel with multiple icons for programs like firefox, chrome, libre office etc etc and when they click on the disired program it opens up the program is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
1 Replies
EXO-DESKTOP-ITEM-EDIT(1)					   User Commands					  EXO-DESKTOP-ITEM-EDIT(1)

NAME
exo-desktop-item-edit - Create icons on the desktop DESCRIPTION
Usage: exo-desktop-item-edit [OPTION...] [FILE|FOLDER] Help Options: -?, --help Show help options --help-all Show all help options --help-gtk Show GTK+ Options Application Options: -c, --create-new Create a new desktop file in the given directory -t, --type Type of desktop file to create (Application or Link) --name Preset name when creating a desktop file --comment Preset comment when creating a desktop file --command Preset command when creating a launcher --url Preset URL when creating a link --icon Preset icon when creating a desktop file -v, --version Print version information and exit --display=DISPLAY X display to use AUTHOR
Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>. exo-desktop-item-edit comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, You may redistribute copies of exo-desktop-item-edit under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License which can be found in the exo source package. Please report bugs to <http://bugzilla.xfce.org/>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2006 os-cillation e.K. All rights reserved. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for exo-desktop-item-edit is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and exo-desktop-item-edit programs are properly installed at your site, the command info exo-desktop-item-edit should give you access to the complete manual. exo-desktop-item-edit 0.3.1.10rc1 September 2006 EXO-DESKTOP-ITEM-EDIT(1)