Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about Shell Programming Post 18221 by LivinFree on Tuesday 26th of March 2002 03:22:10 AM
Old 03-26-2002
Cleaning up, in many cases that I've seen in shell scripting, means removing any temp files, unsetting any variables that may make it into a shell session (doesn't happen all that often - most scripts are run as a child process, as opposed to "sourced", or run as a string of commands in the current process), and handling signals properly (if the job runs as a daemon, does it ignore the SIGHUP signal correctly? What does the script do when it hits an error, or something it doesn't know how to deal with?).
Any other things to watch out for, anyone?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post Shell programming: Question about source a file and read data from the file

This is shell programming assignment. It needs to create a file called .std_dbrc contains STD_DBROOT=${HOME}/class/2031/Assgn3/STD_DB (which includes all my simple database files) and I am gonna use this .std_dbrc in my script file (read the data from the database files) like this: .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about about Shell programming

1.if 2.then 3. # save the number of args and first argument in variables. 4. num_args=$# 5. id="$1" 6. echo "$id" 7. #echo "$1" > crapfile.txt 8. echo `sed 's/\*/'\*'/g' < crapfile.txt` Above is a partial code.I would like to ask: at line 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thungmail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about testing in shell programming

I created a file named q2.c in /home/tuan/Desktop/Shell_programming. I coded a script named "test" to check whether the file existed or not. My code : #!/bin/sh submitDir=/home/tuan/Desktop/Shell_programming/submit if then echo "There is no q2.c" else echo "There is q2.c" fi After... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi i would like to write a "script" which takes a directory as an argument and the script will output the content of a file in this directory.Here is my code #!/bin/sh #set an argument to be a specified path $1=/home/tuan/Desktop/Shell_programming/directory #check if an argument is a... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have 2 different directories. The first has 2 sub-folders A and B. The second as 2 sub-folders C and D and script named "script".There is a code of "script" to list 2 sub-folders C and D #!/bin/sh for file in * do && echo $file done I would like to ask how can I make a change if I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about testing in shell programming(modifications were made)

In folder A i have a file "a' and text file named infile00.I would like to do redirection :a<infile01. There is a code to do this #get a file "a" in /home/A for file in /home/A/* do if $file ] then #printing out if file is an execute file echo $file "is an... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In folder A i have a file "a' and text file named infile00.I would like to do redirection :a<infile01. There is a code to do this #get a file "a" in /home/A for file in `ls /home/A` do if then #printing out if file is an execute file echo $file "is an execute... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Shell Programming Question

Hello all, I am currently try to learn the linux operating system as well as some bash programming. I have come across some online course work which has been very helpful, I have been working through some assignments and since I have no teacher to ask I have come to you experts. So the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: g2axiom
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Plz Help Me in This question in Shell Programming

2- Write a bash shell script filestatic. The script should examine the number files in directories given as arguments (parameters) to this script. a. if one argument is given, the script should count and report the number of files in this directory. Only regular files should be counted, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tahseen_22334
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Plz Help Me in This question in Shell Programming

2- Write a bash shell script filestatic. The script should examine the number files in directories given as arguments (parameters) to this script. a. if one argument is given, the script should count and report the number of files in this directory. Only regular files should be counted, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tahseen_22334
1 Replies
qsig(1B)								PBS								  qsig(1B)

NAME
qsig - signal pbs batch job SYNOPSIS
qsig [-s signal] job_identifier ... DESCRIPTION
The qsig command requests that a signal be sent to executing batch jobs. The signal is sent to the session leader of the job. If the -s option is not specified, `SIGTERM' is sent. The request to signal a batch job will be rejected if: - The user is not authorized to signal the job. - The job is not in the running state. - The requested signal is not supported by the system upon which the job is executing. The qsig command sends a Signal Job batch request to the server which owns the job. OPTIONS
-s signal Declares which signal is sent to the job. The signal argument is either a signal name, e.g. SIGKILL, the signal name without the SIG prefix, e.g. KILL, or a unsigned signal number, e.g. 9. The signal name SIGNULL is allowed; the server will send the signal 0 to the job which will have no effect on the job, but will cause an obituary to be sent if the job is no longer executing. Not all signal names will be recognized by qsig. If it doesn't recognize the signal name, try issuing the signal number instead. Two special signal names, "suspend" and "resume", are used to suspend and resume jobs. Cray systems use the Cray-specific suspend()/resume() calls. On non-Cray system, suspend causes a SIGTSTP to be sent to all processes in job's top task, wait 5 seconds, and then send a SIGSTOP to all processes in all tasks on all nodes in the job. This differs from TORQUE 2.0.0 which did not have the abil- ity to propogate signals to sister nodes. Resume sends a SIGCONT to all processes in all tasks on all nodes. When suspended, a job continues to occupy system resources but is not executing and is not charged for walltime. The job will be listed in the "S" state. Manager or operator privilege is required to suspend or resume a job. Note that interactive jobs may not resume properly because the top-level shell will background the suspended child process. OPERANDS
The qsig command accepts one or more job_identifier operands of the form: sequence_number[.server_name][@server] STANDARD ERROR
The qsig command will write a diagnostic messages to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qsig command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qsig command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B), pbs_sigjob(3B), pbs_resources_*(7B) where * is system type, and the PBS ERS. Local qsig(1B)