Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sending packets
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sending packets Post 18135 by Perderabo on Monday 25th of March 2002 01:48:53 AM
Old 03-25-2002
Yes, UDP, TCP, and ICMP must travel inside an IP datagram. There are lots of other protocols as well. You can get a list of which protocols your system supports by looking at /etc/protocols. The IP header has an 8 bit field called protocol which is how the IP layer tells them apart.

But you can stash an illegal value in the protocol field, one which corresponds to no known protocol. You can't call it anything but just IP. People often use "packets" to refer to the union of datagrams and packets. So it makes sense to say TCP, UDP, ICMP, and IP packets. The last one is just acting as a catch-all.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Packets Getting Lost

I am working on a project, which has the following type of hardware setup. A special hardware device is receiving data from an external network interface. So we can have multiple such a hardware devices. Now these hardware devices will route the captured incoming data through the external... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

counting the packets

there are a number of clients connected to a server.... how can i count that each clients recieve ...? how do i moniter the activity of the client..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumping network packets

Hi, My Solaris Workstation has got 4 NICS, out of which one of them(bge3) is unplugged from the rest of the external network & connected to other interface(bge1). The isolated NIC serves as a simulated Ethernet Interface for my application under development. Now, I'd like to capture RAW... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ethernet packets counting

salutation experts, I want to counting arrival and outgoing packets in a specific interval (ethernet interface), what library or method you offer me that i can use it in c lang? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galaxy.ice
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

send packets

Hello I need to send some packets to check connection. Packets will be catch by snoop. Is there any Sun tool to send some packets on selected IP and Port? Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miojamo
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

packets statistics

Hi there, are there any functions that can get the packets statistics on UNIX ? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Capturing bad packets

Hello, SNMP reports from my Linux server a large number of "ipInAddrErrors" on several of my systems. According to one description, these packets are discarded datagrams due to: How do I determine what packets these are? Can tcpdump help? If so, can anyone suggest a filter? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otheus
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Analyze packets with snoop

Is there anywhere we can get details about what we should expect to see and not to see in some packets captured with "snoop" during troubleshooting a problem? I know we can capture packes for a failed transaction and compare them with packets for a successful trasaction.Is that the only way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

how to delay the outgoing packets ??

hello, i am searching a way to delay the incoming packets before it goes out of the system may i know how can i approach to this problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameer kulkarni
3 Replies

10. Solaris

multitude of packets from 127.0.0.1

I was checking routing table, and noticed that our server has a lot packets from localhost: Routing Table: IPv4 Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ --------- .. 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
IBPING(8)							Open IB Diagnostics							 IBPING(8)

NAME
IBPING - ping an InfiniBand address SYNOPSIS
ibping [options] <dest lid | guid> DESCRIPTION
ibping uses vendor mads to validate connectivity between IB nodes. On exit, (IP) ping like output is show. ibping is run as client/server. Default is to run as client. Note also that a default ping server is implemented within the kernel. OPTIONS
-c, --count stop after count packets -f, --flood flood destination: send packets back to back without delay -o, --oui use specified OUI number to multiplex vendor mads -S, --Server start in server mode (do not return) Addressing Flags -L, --Lid The address specified is a LID -G, --Guid The address specified is a Port GUID -s, --sm_port <smlid> use 'smlid' as the target lid for SA queries. Port Selection flags -C, --Ca <ca_name> use the specified ca_name. -P, --Port <ca_port> use the specified ca_port. Local port Selection Multiple port/Multiple CA support: when no IB device or port is specified (see the "local umad parameters" below), the libibumad library selects the port to use by the following criteria: 1. the first port that is ACTIVE. 2. if not found, the first port that is UP (physical link up). If a port and/or CA name is specified, the libibumad library attempts to fulfill the user request, and will fail if it is not possible. For example: ibaddr # use the first port (criteria #1 above) ibaddr -C mthca1 # pick the best port from "mthca1" only. ibaddr -P 2 # use the second (active/up) port from the first available IB device. ibaddr -C mthca0 -P 2 # use the specified port only. Configuration flags --config, -z <config_file> Specify alternate config file. Default: /etc/infiniband-diags/ibdiag.conf -t, --timeout <timeout_ms> override the default timeout for the solicited mads. Debugging flags -h, --help show the usage message -d raise the IB debugging level. May be used several times (-ddd or -d -d -d). -e show send and receive errors (timeouts and others) -v, --verbose increase the application verbosity level. May be used several times (-vv or -v -v -v) -V, --version show the version info. FILES
CONFIG FILE /etc/infiniband-diags/ibdiag.conf A global config file is provided to set some of the common options for all tools. See supplied config file for details. AUTHOR
Hal Rosenstock < halr@voltaire.com > IBPING(8)