Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Basics
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX Basics Post 17998 by paulSF on Thursday 21st of March 2002 09:28:06 PM
Old 03-21-2002
Question UNIX Basics

I want to learn UNIX, but I have a few questions. If anybody could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

First, I've decided I'm going to use Red Hat Linux and I've been told the only difference between 7.2 and the Professional (besides the price), is the tech support that you'll receive. Is that true? And what about downloading it for free? What would I be paying for if I can download it for free? Is there a difference? Is it the same os?

Also, I have Windows 2000 Pro on my machine. I was hoping to dual boot between 2000 Pro and Linux. I've been told it's possible but it's hard to install. If that's true, does anybody know where I could find instructions that are clear and easy to follow.

I really don't know anything about UNIX, so if anybody has any pointers or suggestions, I'll gladly hear you out.

Thanks.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Basics

Hey, you said this forum was for Dummies, so don't blame me for the following! :D My whole "web building" life, I've had my sites hosted in one for or another. Lately, I've gotten into PHP and MySQL and, of course, those are also hosted for me. But lately, I've been thinking of using PHP and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cap97
2 Replies

2. AIX

UNIX/AIX Performance Tuning = some basics please

Hi all, From Googling, I found that the basics used for troubleshooting UNIX/AIX performance issues are commands like vmstat, iostat and sar. I believe these are generic commands regardless of what UNIX flavour is in used, only difference being is the format of the output. In a real case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need inputs on UNIX script basics

Hi UNIX Gurus, I have a SQL utility which fires DML statements against DB2 tables. Logic is to identify DML statements, put it into a file ($dml) and execute the job. DML file can have more than 1 DML statements....but all of 1 type at a time.....either all UPDATE or all DELETE. Job first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me with basics

hello everyone i have to start with unix as it is a part of my training programme and i have to do a self study, i dont know where to start from. i need some basic questions to be answerd like why we use unix ? what is a terminal? what is an editor? why we write commands inside terminal? these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryancool
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just started using UNIX, im at the basics and my scripts broken.

echo "Hi $username, guess what my favourite colour is!" count=0 while ] do read colour if then $count=1 echo "See ya later!" elif then $count=1 echo "You guessed correctly! Great job!"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solomonsnare
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics

Hello, 1) I am trying to get involved in UNIX for educational purposes so I have installed the latest Ubuntu edition 12.04. Do you know another package that I could use it instead for educational purposes? 2)What is the difference between "~$" and "/$" (it comes with cd / and cd ~) .The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Iwn
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX basics

Hi, I am new to Unix. can you explain in brief with examples what is variable, what is argument and what is parameter? i searched a lot on other forums but not able to find a appropriate answer. thanks in advance!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 21laps
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics about shell and editors and default settings

Hi all, I have 3-4 years of experience working on unix environment. I am not a beginner, but unix is not my primary skill set. I am very good at awk programming and doing many of my tasks very well, really very weak on basics. I moved to a new job recently and the settings there are driving me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
5 Replies
HTML::Template::Pro(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  HTML::Template::Pro(3pm)

NAME
HTML::Template::Pro - Perl/XS module to use HTML Templates from CGI scripts SYNOPSIS
It is moved out and split. See "SYNOPSIS" in HTML::Template::SYNTAX for introduction to HTML::Template and syntax of template files. See "SYNOPSIS" in HTML::Template::PerlInterface for perl interface of HTML::Template, HTML::Template::Expr and HTML::Template::Pro. DESCRIPTION
Original HTML::Template is written by Sam Tregar, sam@tregar.com with contributions of many people mentioned there. Their efforts caused HTML::Template to be mature html tempate engine which separate perl code and html design. Yet powerful, HTML::Template is slow, especially if mod_perl isn't available or in case of disk usage and memory limitations. HTML::Template::Pro is a fast lightweight C/Perl+XS reimplementation of HTML::Template (as of 2.9) and HTML::Template::Expr (as of 0.0.7). It is not intended to be a complete replacement, but to be a fast implementation of HTML::Template if you don't need querying, the extended facility of HTML::Template. Designed for heavy upload, resource limitations, abcence of mod_perl. HTML::Template::Pro has complete support of filters and HTML::Template::Expr's tag EXPR="<expression>", including user-defined functions and construction <TMPL_INCLUDE EXPR="...">. HTML::Template work cycle uses 2 steps. First, it loads and parse template. Then it accepts param() calls until you call output(). output() is its second phase where it produces a page from the parsed tree of template, obtained in the 1st step. HTML::Template::Pro loads, parse and outputs template on fly, when you call $tmpl->output(), in one pass. The corresponding code is written in C and glued to Perl using Perl+XS. As a result, comparing to HTML::Template in ordinary calls, it runs 10-25 times faster. Comparing to HTML::Template with all caching enabled under mod_perl, it still 1-3 times faster. At that HTML::Template caching requires considerable amount of memory (per process, shareable, or on disk) to be permanently filled with parsed trees, whereas HTML::Template::Pro don't consumes memory for caches and use mmap() for reading templates on disk. Introduction to HTML::Template and syntax of template files is described in HTML::Template::SYNTAX. Perl interface of HTML::Template and HTML::Template::Pro is described in HTML::Template::PerlInterface. SEE ALSO
HTML::Template::SYNTAX, HTML::Template::PerlInterface. Progect page is http://html-tmpl-pro.sourceforge.net (and http://sourceforge.net/projects/html-tmpl-pro) Original modules are HTML::Template, HTML::Template::Expr. Their progect page is http://html-template.sourceforge.net BUGS
See "BUGS" in HTML::Template::PerlInterface AUTHOR
I. Vlasenko, <viy@altlinux.org> with contributions of Bruni Emiliano, <info at ebruni.it> Stanislav Yadykin, <tosick at altlinux.ru> Viacheslav Sheveliov <slavash at aha.ru> Shigeki Morimoto <shigeki.morimoto at mixi.co.jp> Kirill Rebenok <kirill at rebenok.pl> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005-2009 by I. Yu. Vlasenko. Pieces of code in Pro.pm and documentation of HTML::Template are copyright (C) 2000-2002 Sam Tregar (sam@tregar.com) The template syntax, interface conventions and a large piece of documentation of HTML::Template::Pro are based on CPAN module HTML::Template by Sam Tregar, sam@tregar.com. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under either the LGPL2+ or under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.4 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-28 HTML::Template::Pro(3pm)