Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tail-alike display of new files in directory Post 17950 by PxT on Thursday 21st of March 2002 11:57:22 AM
Old 03-21-2002
Linux provides a utility called "watch" which you could use to do this. Something like:

watch "ls -lrt | tail -5"

would give you a constantly updated list of the 5 most recently updated files. Unfortunately, I dont think this utility is included with Solaris. It is part of the procps package on Linux. You could try downloading it (http://procps.sourceforge.net/) and compiling for your architecture.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to display line number for tail -f

Hi, Just wonder if there is any quick way to display line number when monitoring a log file with tail -f? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail display ....in perl

hi we have 3 servers and we have a script to monitor cpu usage of all 3 servers and writes into one file on one of the server where we monitor all those servers ( by doing tail -f filename ) so we decided to create script ( perl ) that will read values from this file and display it should be like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files and display only directory list containing those files

I have a directory (and many sub dirs beneath) on AIX system, containing thousands of file. I'm looking to get a list of all directory containing "*.pdf" file. I know basic syntax of find command, but it gives me list of all pdf files, which numbers in thousands. All I need to know is, which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r7p
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to display paths of files in a directory

hi guys does anyone know how to display the file paths of the files stored within a directory at the command terminal? e.g. if i have a directory called "home", how do i display the file paths of the files inside the directory? cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Villaman69
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to display tail

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a script to format a file using unix2dos. I want to output all but the first 14 lines in a file. Then I want to pipe this to unix2dos to convert the output to a file that's easily readable on windows. Here's what I have: export Lines=`wc -l < $1` export... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuminalZero
11 Replies

6. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46 Any ideas how can we do this? :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakerock
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46Any ideas how can we do this? Got a sun cluser global mount point which takes ages to mount everytime, need to understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files which are not look alike

Hi, I have 2 files as seen below. File 1: apple#fruit carrot#vege orange#fruitFile 2: #list of fruits fruitlist : apple#fruit grape#fruit orange#fruit finish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

10. Web Development

Apache2 does not display files inside directory

Hello, I have been running Ubuntu14.04 + apache2. 000-default.conf: <VirtualHost *:80> ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost DocumentRoot /var/www/html ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined <Directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies
INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					       INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)

NAME
inotify_rm_watch - remove an existing watch from an inotify instance SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/inotify.h> int inotify_rm_watch(int fd, int wd); DESCRIPTION
inotify_rm_watch() removes the watch associated with the watch descriptor wd from the inotify instance associated with the file descriptor fd. Removing a watch causes an IN_IGNORED event to be generated for this watch descriptor. (See inotify(7).) RETURN VALUE
On success, inotify_rm_watch() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the cause of the error. ERRORS
EBADF fd is not a valid file descriptor. EINVAL The watch descriptor wd is not valid; or fd is not an inotify file descriptor. VERSIONS
Inotify was merged into the 2.6.13 Linux kernel. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. SEE ALSO
inotify_add_watch(2), inotify_init(2), inotify(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)