Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers delete a file from an existing Solaris tar Post 17793 by inpavan on Wednesday 20th of March 2002 07:35:55 AM
Old 03-20-2002
You can not delete an file from the existing tar file. Read manual of tar (man tar).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to delete a file based on existing file in a directory

hi i am having four files in a directory.like 1)sampleRej 2)exampleRej 3)samplemain 4)examplemain my requirement is i have to search for the rejected files (sampleRej,exampleRej) in a directory.if these files in that directory then i have to delete the main files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a file from XXX.tar.Z

Hi All can u please let me know how to delete a file from XXX.tar.Z file with out uncompressing this file. thanks in advance. --Bali (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add files to an existing tar file - HP-UNIX

Hello, What is the command to add files to an existing tar file. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
5 Replies

4. Solaris

option to delete .tar file while extracting

Is there an option in tar which deletes the .tar file as soon as it is successfully extracted. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding file to an existing tar

Hi Friends, I want to know the command to add a new file in a existing tar file. For Ex: I have a tar file file1.tar with the contents one.txt two.txt three.txt Now I need to add file four.txt to this existing tar file, how can I do it? Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete already existing data in a file using perl? Pls help me!!

Dear Friends, I need urgent help from u.. I have two files,file1 & file 2.. file1 have a existing data of file2.So i want to delete those existing datas from file1 (which contain the data from file1) My file1 like this rs39348 1 1045729 A G 0.1791 0.2054 0.84 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshraj
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files to a existing tar file.

Hi all, I want to check whether tar file exists in the directory or not. If tar file exists in the directory then I want to append the files to it. I am using the below command to tar files if the file does not exist. tar zcvf <tar file name> <Files to append> However, if want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How to extend an existing file system using SVM in solaris 10

Hi All I want to extend this file system to 120Gb: df -h /xyz Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d80 98G 35G 62G 37% /xyzand the NetApp admin is going to give me an LUN with 22Gb. This file system is mounted on: metastat d80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10

Hi, I am using solaris 10 OS.Please help me out with the commands needed in below two scenarios. 1)How to delete the existing files in the tar file. suppose i have a main tarfile named application.tar and it contains a file called ingres.tar. what is the command to remove ingres.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
2 Replies