Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: device name in unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers device name in unix Post 1774 by PxT on Thursday 29th of March 2001 11:08:21 AM
Old 03-29-2001
the name c2t1d1 or whatever refers to the scsi address of the device (the controller,target,and device). You cannot rename it, but you can make a link. Something like:

ln -s /dev/rmt/c2t1d1 /dev/tape4mm

So that you could then refer to the device as /dev/tape4mm. Choose whatever name you think is appropriate. It is usually best to keep the link in /dev

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap Device & Unix Disk Buffer

Does anyone know if when the Swap Device / Page file in unix is carrying out Page / Swap In's and Page / Swap outs, does it go through the Unix Disk Cache ( I am presuming raw partitions are not being used ) ? Therefore if there is paging activity on a system ( measured by sar -p, sar -g and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Device Manager?

I am a complete noob trying to learn my way around Solaris. I need to learn it for work so I though the best way to do that would be to go ahead and load it up and play with it. I downloaded the latest version from the Sun website and put it on a box with an AMD processor and Via Chipset KM400. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mugicha
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Device Timeouts on Unix Server

Hi I am brand new to the forum I have very limited understanding of unix, but am very computer literate. At work we have a unix server which has been the bane of our lives. We have stopped being able to access the network drives and the screen has lots of device timeouts. I have learned how to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scovell01
1 Replies

4. SCO

SCO UNIX DAT Tape Device

Looking for specifically naming convention for a tape device for SCO Unix What full system backup command should I use for SCO UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Can't access my device DJI Phantom 3 which uses UNIX. Need Help please!

Equipment: DJI Phantom 3 I have the root and passwords access, but I cannot find out how to access the equipment. There is a USB port going to a miniUSB that connects to the equipment, but on Windows is detecting the connection as being a Serial Port (COM3). I need some help in order to gain... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobr3ga
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
mkdevmaps(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     mkdevmaps(1M)

NAME
mkdevmaps - make device_maps entries SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkdevmaps DESCRIPTION
The mkdevmaps command writes to standard out a set of device_maps(4) entries describing the system's frame buffer, audio, and removable media devices. The mkdevmaps command is used by the init.d(4) scripts to create or update the /etc/security/device_maps file. Entries are generated based on the device special files found in /dev. For the different categories of devices, the mkdevmaps command checks for the following files under /dev: audio /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl, /dev/sound/... tape /dev/rst*, /dev/nrst*, /dev/rmt/... floppy /dev/diskette, /dev/fd*, /dev/rdiskette, /dev/rfd* removable disk /dev/dsk/c0t?d0s?, /dev/rdsk/c0t?d0s? frame buffer /dev/fb ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
mkdevmaps might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris operating system. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 mkdevmaps(1M)