Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: iptables: block/allow ftp
Special Forums Cybersecurity iptables: block/allow ftp Post 17619 by PxT on Monday 18th of March 2002 03:37:27 PM
Old 03-18-2002
Just a guess, but this should work (iptables experts can correct me)

Assume:
server1 IP is 192.168.0.1
server2 IP is 192.168.100.1

# Allow ftp to server 2 from 1
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.1 -d 192.168.100.1 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT

# Deny ftp from server 2 to server 1
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.100.1 -d 192.168.0.1 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 21 -j DROP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

iptables, ftp

I have allready opened a thread about this, but my question was really weird formed, so I'm writting it here again: I have a Network with 4 FTP Servers, then a firewall, and then a Network with clients. The clients should have access to the FTP Servers, but it should not be possible to connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sTorm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP inside a block of code

I need help on the code below. I am getting a compile error syntax error at line 283 : `<<' unmatched Looks like it doesn't like the << on the ftp line below. If I ran the code outside of this block everything work fine, but when I put in a block of code or in a function, I got syntax error. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Want to block ftp for root user

Hi Friends, I would like to block the root user for doing ftp. As I am aware that I need to put the entry for root in /etc/ftpusers.....am I right...??? But I am not able to edit the file & even more command is not working. #ls -l ftp* total 14 -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 1249 Jun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to block an anonymous ftp user?

Could anyone provide information on how to block a specific client machine from being able to log onto anonymous ftp? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block incoming traffic FTP from internet using iptables

Hi everybody. I have the next scenary: eth0: WAN eth1: DMZ eth2: LAN I need to block all incoming trafic from the internet through my network LAN using iptables. I have squid but i need to do this using ipatbles. I have been listening about iptables -A FORDAWARD but I am stuck right... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: edeamat
0 Replies

6. AIX

Block users ftp service

Hello everyone I create a file /etc/ftpusers to block users. I put the names of the users and I refresh the service inetd. My question is the user still log in by ftp.???? What I miss Thanks for your opinions. Greetings (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

iptables-ftp

I have set up a firewall on my centOS 5.6 box. I copied it from info I found online related to web servers. Everything seems to work fine but my ftp from my LAN. I am not able to ftp into the directories at all. I have the box set up as a test web server. Here is my iptable: I have opened ports... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktb231
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

iptables ftp denies ls

Hi, Following is the output of iptables -S command -P INPUT ACCEPT -P FORWARD ACCEPT -P OUTPUT ACCEPT -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.5/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.5/32 -p udp -m udp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT -A INPUT -s 192.168.0.0/24 -p udp -m udp --dport 20 -j... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahdharmit
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

vsftp | active and passive ftp | iptables

I am using vsftp but I can't login with passive mode. I can only login with active mode. I can login with both mode when service of iptables is stop. In active mode : 20,21 must be open from server site. 1023 and over must be open at client site. In passive mode : only 21,1023 and over must be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getrue
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

iptables problem with ftp

I have a pretty stock iptables script. One rule allows active ftp from an outside IP address. To troubleshoot it, I opened up ftp to all connections from the outside. When a user outside our domain connects via FTP, they are denied. If I flush the rules, the ftp takes place successfully. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bricoleur
2 Replies
mxallowd(1)							   User Manuals 						       mxallowd(1)

NAME
mxallowd - dynamically whitelist your Mail eXchanger SYNOPSIS
mxallowd [-d] [-c configfile] [-t whitelist-time] [-p pflog-interface] [-l pcap-filter] [-F] [-s] [-q] [-p] -f fake-mailserver -r real- mailserver -n queue-num DESCRIPTION
mxallowd is a daemon which uses libnetfilter_queue (on Linux) or pf and pflog (on BSD) to allow (or deny) connections to a mailserver (or similar application) if the remote host hasn't connected to a fake daemon before. This is an improved version of the so-called nolisting (see http://www.nolisting.org/). The assumption is that spammers are not using RFC 2821-compatible SMTP-clients and are sending fire-and-forget spam (directly to the first or second MX-entry without retrying on error). This direct access is blocked with mxallowd, you'll only get a connection if you retry. NOTE: It is highly recommended to install nscd (nameserver caching daemon) or a similar software in order to speed-up DNS lookups. Since version 1.3, DNS lookups are done in a thread (so they don't block the main process), however, on very-high-traffic-sites, mxallowd may show significantly better overall performance in combination with nscd. OPTIONS
-b, --no-rdns-whitelist Disable whitelisting all IP-addresses that have the same RDNS as the connecting one (necessary for google mail) -c, --config Specifies an alternative configuration file (instead of /etc/mxallowd.conf) -t, --whitelist-time Specify the amount of time (in seconds) until an IP-address will be removed from the whitelist -s, --stdout Log to stdout, not to syslog -q, --quiet Don't log anything but errors. -f, --fake-mailserver Specify which IP-address the fake mailserver has (connecting to it will whitelist you for the real mailserver) -r, --real-mailserver Specify which IP-address the real mailserver has -F, --foreground Do not fork into background, stay on console -n, --queue-num (only available when compiled for netfilter_queue) Specify the queue number which will be used for the netfilter_queue-link. This has to be the same which is specified in the ipta- bles-rule and it has to be specified, there is no default. -p, --pflog-interface (only available when compiled for pf) Specify the pflog(4) interface which you configured in pf(4). The default is pflog0. Also see the pcap-filter-option if you use an interface which does not only get smtp-traffic. -l, --pcap-filter (only available when compiled for pf) Specify the filter for pcap. The default is "port 25". See tcpdump(8) for more information on the filters. FILES
/etc/mxallowd.conf System-wide configuration file. Use the long options without the beginning two dashes. For example: stdout fake-mailserver 192.168.1.3 fake-mailserver 192.168.1.4 real-mailserver 192.168.1.5 queue-num 23 EXAMPLES FOR NETFILTER
The machine has two IP-addresses. The mailserver only listens on 192.168.1.4, the nameserver returns the mx-records mx1.domain.com (192.168.1.3) with priority 5 and mx2.domain.com (192.168.1.4) with priority 10. # modprobe nfnetlink_queue # iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -m state --state NEW -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 23 # mxallowd -s -F -f 192.168.1.3 -r 192.168.1.4 -n 23 Then open a separate terminal and connect via telnet on your real mailserver. You'll see the connection attempt being dropped. Now connect to the fake mailserver and watch mxallowd's output. Afterwards, connect to the real mailserver to verify your mailserver is still working. EXAMPLES FOR PF
The machine has two IP-addresses. The mailserver only listens on 192.168.1.4, the nameserver returns the mx-records mx1.domain.com (192.168.1.3) with priority 5 and mx2.domain.com (192.168.1.4) with priority 10. Create a pf.conf like this: table <mx-white> persist real_mailserver="192.168.1.4" fake_mailserver="192.168.1.3" real_mailserver6="2001:dead:beef::1" fake_mailserver6="2001:dead:beef::2" pass in quick log on fxp0 proto tcp from <mx-white> to $real_mailserver port smtp pass in quick log on fxp0 inet6 proto tcp from <mx-white> to $real_mailserver6 port smtp block in log on fxp0 proto tcp to { $fake_mailserver $real_mailserver } port smtp block in log on fxp0 inet6 proto tcp to { $fake_mailserver6 $real_mailserver6 } port smtp Afterwards, load it and start mxallowd using the following commands: # pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf # mxallowd -s -F -f 192.168.1.3 -r 192.168.1.4 Then open a separate terminal and connect via telnet on your real mailserver. You'll see the connection attempt being dropped. Now connect to the fake mailserver and watch mxallowd's output. Afterwards, connect to the real mailserver to verify your mailserver is still working. The ruleset for pf is actually longer because pf does more than netfilter on linux -- netfilter passes the packets and lets mxallowd decide whether to drop/accept whilst pf blocks/passes before even "passing" to mxallowd. SEE ALSO
iptables(8), pf(4), pflog(4), tcpdump(8) AUTHOR
Michael Stapelberg <michael+mxallowd at stapelberg dot de> Linux MARCH 2012 mxallowd(1)