Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to attach a file in mail? Post 1757 by firebirdonfire on Thursday 29th of March 2001 01:51:21 AM
Old 03-29-2001
Hi,

I want to know how to send a mail in unix using mailx or mail or sendmail to send a mail with a file attached. I have read the answers from the other threads but I still don't understand. I want to do it in the command line as well as in script.

Can anyone help? DO I need to use uuencode? And can I attach a htm or html file with the mail?

Firebird

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to attach a txt file while sending mail

Hi, I need to attach a txt file while sending mail thru Unix. Please help me out in this.. -Charan. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach a file & send mail thru script

In shell script how can I attach a file and send a mail. suppose if I written like the following way usr/bin/mail 'subject" "mail_id" < file. a mail goes to the mail-id with the content of file.But I want the file to be atttached to the mail.How can I get it.is there any way for this. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mar1006
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use "mail" to attach a file with an email?

echo "content" | mail email@address -s subject Where to attach a file with the email? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meili100
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach a file in Linux mail command

How to attach a file in Linux mail command Hi Guys, Is there any way to attach a file in Linux mail command without using "uuencode"? i.e. Code: file=/a/b/c/d/file.txtmail -s "Giga aks" abc@123.com <<HDoc`uuencode $file $file 2>/dev/null`HDoc Here, I don;t want to use 'uuencode'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to attach an excel file in a multipart (mime) mail

Hello. I need to send mails from hp-ux with 2 attachments: a text file and an excel file. So I'm composing a mime file which I will pipe to sendmail utility. This works fine if the only attachment is the text file (i use cat command to attach text content). But I have problems with the format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcampio
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to attach file to mail

Hello, I have a .dat file containing one line. I need a script to read that line and make it part of the body and send a mail... Let's say the line is $line. I need the script to send a mail with the body "The last disposal feed is $line". Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfetea
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to attach multiple file to send mail command

Hi, i want color effect on mail as well as multiple attachment.I have code but this code is used for single attachment. I am unable to attach more than one file.:wall: I want to send two attachments -ahmed.csv and ahmed1.csv . Sample content: <html> <body> <b> Hi...</b> </body> </html> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX - how to send attach excel in mail

Hi Experts, i need your help here :confused: Need to send a report thru mail using unix shell script(AIX). can you help me to do this? . i tried "uuencode" with CSV format, but while reading report all values are in single column. i need each column values in separate cell. Thanks in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbieabc
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Attach a document in mail using sendmail command

Hi Guys, May i know how to attach a document using sendmail command in Linux platform.... :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santosh101
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to attach a .txt file or .log file to mail and mailx command

Hi, I am trying to attach a .log file or .txt file to mail command to send an email once my ksh script executed. I am unable to use mutt command as it has been not installed and i am not supposed to install it. I have tried many ways by googling which has not helped me to succeed. Here is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
5 Replies
uuencode(1c)															      uuencode(1c)

Name
       uuencode, uudecode - encode/decode a binary file for transmission via mail

Syntax
       uuencode [file] remotedest | mail sys1!sys2!..!decode
       uudecode [file]

Description
       The  and  commands are used to send a binary file by uucp (or other) mail.  This combination can be used over indirect mail links even when
       is not available.

The command takes the named source file (default standard input) and produces an encoded version on the standard output.  The encoding uses
       only printing ASCII characters, and includes the mode of the file and the remotedest for recreation on the remote system.

The  command  reads  an	encoded file, strips off any leading and trailing lines added by mailers, and recreates the original file with the
       specified mode and name.

The intent is that all mail to the user ``decode'' should be filtered through the program.  This way  the  file	is  created  automatically
       without	human  intervention.   This  is possible on the uucp network by either using or by making be a link to instead of In each case, an
       alias must be created in a master file to get the automatic invocation of

If these facilities are not available, the file can be sent to a user on the remote machine who can uudecode it manually.

The encode file has an ordinary text form and can be edited by any text editor to change the mode or remote name.

Restrictions
       The file is expanded by 35% (3 bytes become 4 plus control information) causing it to take longer to transmit.

The user on the remote system who is invoking (often must have write permission on the specified file.

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uusend(1c), uux(1c), uuencode(5)

uuencode(1c)