Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix libraries and patch
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix libraries and patch Post 1755 by mib on Thursday 29th of March 2001 01:26:14 AM
Old 03-29-2001
A library is a file containing several object files, that can be used as a single entity in a linking phase of a program. Normally the library is indexed, so it is easy to find symbols (functions, variables and so on...) in them. For this reason, linking a program whose object files are ordered in libraries is faster than linking a program whose object files are separate on the disk. Also, when using a library, we have fewer files to look for and open, which even further speeds up linking.

Static libraries are just collections of object files that are linked into the program during the linking phase of compilation, and are not relevant during runtime.
Static libraries are commonly named libname.a. The .a suffix refers to <b>a</b>rchive

dynamic libraries (also called Shared libraries) are lbrararies in which modules can be bound into the executable program at runtime. when the program is started, a program in the system (called a dynamic loader) checks out which shared libraries were linked with the program, loads them to memory, and attaches them to the copy of the program in memory.
Dynamic libraries are commonly named libname.so. The .so suffix refers to <b>s</b>hared <b>o</b>bject.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C Libraries??

I can not locate package sys/mkdev.h on HP-UX or Linux. Is it a special package or something? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
9 Replies

2. IP Networking

Libraries

How is Libnet and libpcap are useful in sending a packet through DLL layer and sniff network layer? and how sinffers are used to track ip adresses provided Mac adresses? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netsavy
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Patch-o-matic (patch for iptable) for linux2.4.08 & iptable1.2.7a

Hello friends I'm running Redhat 9.0 with linux kernel 2.4.20-8 & have iptables version 1.2.7a & encountering a problem that I narrate down. I need to apply patch to my iptable and netfilter for connection tracking and load balancing that are available in patch-o-matic distribution by netfilter.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

libraries

I am slowly ploughing my way through the list of links to on-line tutorials you provided to newbies. I for one am grateful for such a comprehensive list, so first of all thank you for that. What i cannot seem to find, is information on C++ libraries: The two links on libraries in your list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pil888
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Patch Management over mixed unix platforms

Does anyone know of any tools that manage the rollout of patches across multiple types of Unix platform ( eg Solaris, Aix etc ). I am looking for something that does a similiar job to SMS or WSUS in the Windows world (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use two different libraries?

Hello, I need to use two different libraries like /usr/local/bin/expect and /usr/bin/ksh at the same script. Is it possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
4 Replies

7. Programming

I want to know some c libraries

I'm a rookie to C and i'm looking for some libraries to learn,something likes the C++ STL or Boost ,does any1 can tell me some of them?Thanks a lot:) Eric (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH for c libraries

Hello, I met a problem when running a java program. When I did the debugging: srna/ExeFiles/linux$ ldd patman linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf77b5000) libpopt.so.0 => not found libstdc++.so.6 => not found libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7778000) libgcc_s.so.1 => not found ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check latest patch applied on UNIX server

hi all, i need to check the latest patch applied on my unix server. here is the server info: bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS usa0300uz1226 5.10 Generic_148888-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise please tell which is the command for checking patch? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
1 Replies
ldd_ia(1)						      General Commands Manual							 ldd_ia(1)

NAME
ldd_ia: ldd - list dynamic dependencies of executable files or shared libraries on Integrity systems SYNOPSIS
filename... Remarks This manpage describes on Integrity systems. For on PA-RISC systems, see ldd_pa(1). DESCRIPTION
is a command that can list the dynamic dependencies of incomplete executable files or shared libraries. lists verbose information about dynamic dependencies and symbol references. If the object file is an executable file, lists all shared libraries that would be loaded as a result of executing the file. If it is a shared library, lists all shared libraries that would be loaded as a result of loading the library. uses the same algorithm as the dynamic loader and to locate the shared libraries at runtime. See in dld.so(5) for more information. Options recognizes the following options: Check reference to data symbols. Check reference to data and code symbols. Display the search path used to locate the shared libraries. Display all dependency relationships. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables uses the following environment variables to locate shared libraries. These environment variables can be used to specify the directories to be searched for library files at runtime. The value is a colon-separated list of paths of such directories. For more information, see in dld.so(5) or the option in ld(1). The following internationalization variables affect the execution of Determines the locale category for native language, local customs and coded character set in the absence of and other environment variables. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of (see lang(5)) is used instead of Determines the values for all locale categories and has precedence over and other environment variables. Determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the locale category for numeric formatting. Determines the locale category for character handling functions. Determines the location of message catalogs for the processing of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to See envi- ron(5). DIAGNOSTICS
prints the record of shared library path names to stdout. The optional list of symbol resolution problems are printed to stderr. returns zero when the operation is successful. A non-zero return code indicates that an error occurred. EXAMPLES
By default prints a simple dynamic path information. This consists of the dependencies recorded in the executable (or the shared library) followed by the physical location where these libraries are found. The option causes to print dependency relationship along with the dynamic path information. The option to causes it to analyze all symbol references and print information about unsatisfied code and data symbols. WARNINGS
does not list shared libraries explicitly loaded using dlopen(3C) or shl_load(3X). FILES
output file 32-bit Integrity system dynamic loader 64-bit Integrity system dynamic loader 32-bit dummy executable loaded to check the dependencies of shared libraries 64-bit dummy executable loaded to check the dependencies of shared libraries message catalog SEE ALSO
System Tools ld(1) invoke the link editor Miscellaneous a.out(4) assembler, compiler, and linker output dld.so(5) dynamic loader Texts and Tutorials