Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to install a tar file?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to install a tar file? Post 17523 by chenly on Saturday 16th of March 2002 05:52:21 PM
Old 03-16-2002
Computer tar

tar stands for Tape ARchive[r]. It's a basic form of UNIX file compression which has the advantage of being able to compress single files, mutiple files, directories, and/or multiple directories.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install gzip.tar in sco unix os

thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsun5
1 Replies

2. Linux

The install tar.gz package must be specified as the first argument!

I just tried to unzip the tar.gz installation file with gzip -d file.tar.gz and then tar -xvf file.tar. ThenI tried to install with command ./install.sh, i got the following error... The install tar.gz package must be specified as the first argument! Any one have an idea why this error.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_linux
1 Replies

3. SuSE

Trying to install libxml2-2.6.31.tar.gz on opensuse 11.0.

Hi I am having the exact same problem. Trying to install libxml2-2.6.31.tar.gz on opensuse 11.0. Opened in terminal and am able to configure and make without any problem. But encounter the following error during make install... --------------------------------------------------------- Making... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisvp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to unpack and install .tar.bz2 library ?

Hi, I am trying to unpack and install .tar.bz2 library. I was told to cd / and than tar -jxvf /source-of-library-file?...tar.bz2 to get files unpacked and installed into / Darius $ pwd / $ $ tar -jxvf /tmp/local/root/ncurses-dev-addon.tar.bz2 ncurses-dev-addon/... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install new version of tar under solaris 9

Hello, I'm trying to install new version of tar under solaris "tar-1.23-sol9-sparc-local.gz" in Solaris, I downloaded this version from sunfreeware.com I unzip it and I found only binaire file no Readme... some one vcan help ?? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sigma
2 Replies

7. AIX

How to install .tar.tgz file in AIX 6.1?

Hello, I have openssl.0.9.8.1103.tar.tgz file which I have downloaded from https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/download.do?source=aixbp&S_PKG=openssl siteThe website says that the file name is openssl.0.9.8.1103.tar.z but when downloaded I get openssl.0.9.8.1103.tar.tgz as the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaugeta
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

9. Linux

How to install *.pkg.tar.tar on Linux?

Hi Guys, I need some suggestion as how to install openssl-1.0.1.g-1-i686.pkg.tar.tar openssl-1.0.1.g-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.tar on Linux system? is for 32bit system and other is for 64 bit system linux machine. How to untar them? I tried few commands but did not work. I need to upgrade to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies
RDIFFDIR(1)							   User Manuals 						       RDIFFDIR(1)

NAME
rdiffdir - compute and apply signatures and diffs to directories SYNOPSIS
rdiffdir [options] sig[nature] basis_dir signature_file rdiffdir [options] delta signature_file new_dir delta_file rdiffdir [options] patch basis_dir delta_file rdiffdir [options] tar basis_dir tar_file If signature_file or delta_file are "-", the data will be read from stdin or written to stdout as appropriate. DESCRIPTION
rdiffdir is supposed to be like rdiff, but can operate on directories. See rdiff(1) for more information. The syntax is similar. OPTIONS
--write-sig-to sigfile This option is only used in delta and tar modes. When specified, rdiffdir will write a signature of the directory it is processing to sigfile. The end result will be a delta and a new signature calculated over the same data. -z, --gzip-compress Enable gzip compression and decompression of signature and delta files. SELECTION OPTIONS
In signature and delta modes, rdiffdir accepts duplicity-like selection options including --exclude, --exclude-filelist-stdin, etc. See the duplicity(1) manual page for more information. BUGS
Hard links are currently unsupported (they will be treated as non-linked regular files). Bad signatures will be treated as empty instead of logging appropriate error message. AUTHOR
Ben Escoto <bescoto@stanford.edu> SEE ALSO
duplicity(1), python(1), rdiff(1), rdiff-backup(1). Version 0.6.18 February 29, 2012 RDIFFDIR(1)