Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nmap
Special Forums Cybersecurity Nmap Post 17517 by DPAI on Saturday 16th of March 2002 03:28:23 PM
Old 03-16-2002
Nmap

I am pretty new at running nmap ,and i have some doubt about some o/ps the nmap shows

I tried to scan my own system for UDP open ports

I see that if i use one UDP port say 13
It shows that its in open state , etc

But if i scan for the whole UDP ports in the nmap-services . I gives te number of ports open as in a filtered state .

Can some one explain me why this is so .

(I GUARANTEE THAT I AM TRYING TO FIND OPEN PORTS FOR MY OWN SYSTEM HERE )

DP

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nmap results

Hi, Whenever I tried to run nmap on my linux (red hat 6.2) boxes i got these outputs: 4444/tcp filtered krb524 6666/tcp filtered irc-serv 6699/tcp filtered napster 8888/tcp filtered sun-answerbook Can anybody please... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nmap PHP FE

Hi everyone! I've temporarily come out of hibernation (and will be gone for about two weeks after this post too) to ask for input on a small PHP script I have just completed. The script aims to be a remote front-end for Nmap - now for the safety of this post, I ask that any replies refrain from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karma
6 Replies

3. AIX

nmap on aix 5.2

I'm trying to compile nmap 4.11 on an aix 5.2 machine and get the following error when attempting the 'make' command; make "Makefile", line 1: make: 1254-055 Dependency line needs colon or double colon operator. "Makefile", line 14: make: 1254-055 Dependency line needs colon or double colon... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

To change of port name in nmap

Hi, Is it possible to change the nmap port name: For eg: 21/tcp open ftp 53/tcp open domain 80/tcp open http 111/tcp open rpcbind 836/tcp open unknown 843/tcp open unknown 953/tcp open rndc I need to change the port number 836 unknown to the name of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP/nmap/.netrc

So... I'm trying to script and FTP Backup of some files from openVMS Alpha machine to a Unixware 7 machine. I decided to use .netrc to do all the FTP actions however when I send the nmap command. It pretty much gets ignored while even other things such "ascii", "case" etc.. get respected... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thesubmitter
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Nmap error

I 'm getting following error when i run nmap for an ip .. what could be the reason for it ? #nmap 10.22.67.18 Starting Nmap 4.68 ( Nmap - Free Security Scanner For Network Exploration & Security Audits. ) at 2009-07-06 19:07 UTC Warning: Unable to open interface e1000g3301000 -- skipping it.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

7. Linux

nmap binaries for linux

Hi , I am exploring the nmap utility for Linux. I know that, nmap binaries are specific to the platforms e.g. nmap binaries will be diferent for Windows , AIX , Solaris and Linux platforms. Can anyone tell me , will the nmap binaries be different for different flavours of Linux such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatin56
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Help with NMAP

I'm seeing a persistent address showing up on my firewall router logs. The address is 10.98.115.9:67, and is broadcasting to 255.255.255.255. I know that this would typically signal a BOOTP service, such as a bootp server announcing itself on the network. But I can't isolate which machine it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renoir611
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scan IP range using nmap?

Scripting language : Bash Shell Script I have to create function in which read IP addresses one by one from one file (ip.txt) and scan these IP using nmap. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk151993
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to scan IP range using nmap?

Scripting language : Bash Shell Script 1. problem statement I have to create function in which read IP addresses one by one from one file (iplist.txt) and scan these IP using nmap. This scan IP's output is saved in output.txt file and parse output.txt to save only open ports with particular IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk151993
3 Replies
XPROBE2(1)						      General Commands Manual							XPROBE2(1)

NAME
xprobe2 - A Remote active operating system fingerprinting tool. SYNOPSIS
xprobe2 [ -v ] [ -r ] [ -p proto:portnum:state ] [ -c configfile ] [ -o logfile ] [ -p port ] [ -t receive_timeout ] [ -m numberofmatches ] [ -D modnum ] [ -F ] [ -X ] [ -B ] [ -A ] [ -T port spec ] [ -U port spec ] host DESCRIPTION
xprobe2 is an active operating system fingerprinting tool with a different approach to operating system fingerprinting. xprobe2 relies on fuzzy signature matching, probabilistic guesses, multiple matches simultaneously, and a signature database. The operation of xprobe2 is described in a paper titled "xprobe2 - A 'Fuzzy' Approach to Remote Active Operating System Fingerprinting", which is available from http://www.sys-security.com/html/projects/X.html. As xprobe2 uses raw sockets to send probes, you must have root privileges in order for xprobe2 to be able to use them. OPTIONS
-v be verbose. -r display route to target (traceroute-like output). -c use configfile to read the configuration file, xprobe2.conf, from a non-default location. -D disable module number modnum. -m set number of results to display to numofmatches. -o use logfile to log everything (default output is stderr). -p specify port number (portnum), protocol (proto) and it's state for xprobe2 to use during rechability/fingerprinting tests of remote host. Possible values for proto are tcp or udp, portnum can only take values from 1 to 65535, state can be either closed (for tcp that means that remote host replies with RST packet, for udp that means that remote host replies with ICMP Port Unreachable packet) or open (for tcp that means that remote host replies with SYN ACK packet and for udp that means that remote host doesn't send any packet back). -t set receive timeout to receive_timeout in seconds (the default is set to 10 seconds). -F generate signature for specified target (use -o to save fingerprint into file) -X write XML output to logfile specified with -o -B causes xprobe2 to be a bit more noisy, as -B makes TCP handshake module to try and blindly guess an open TCP port on the target, by sending sequential probes to the following well-known ports: 80, 443, 23, 21, 25, 22, 139, 445 and 6000 hoping to get SYN ACK reply. If xprobe2 receives RST|ACK or SYN|ACK packets for a port in the list above, it will be saved in the target port database to be later used by other modules (i.e. RST module). -T, -U enable built-in portscanning module, which will attempt to scan TCP and/or UDP ports respectively, which were specified in port spec -A enable experimental support for detection of transparent proxies and firewalls/NIDSs spoofing RST packets in portscanning module. Option should be used in conjunction with -T. All responses from target gathered during portscanning process are divided in two classes (SYN|ACK and RST) and saved for analysis. During analysis module will search for different packets, based on some of the fields of TCP and IP headers, withing the same class and if such packets are found, message will be displayed showing different packets withing the same class. EXAMPLES
xprobe2 -v -D 1 -D 2 192.168.1.10 Will launch an OS fingerprinting attempt targeting 192.168.1.10. Modules 1 and 2, which are reachability tests, will be disabled, so probes will be sent even if target is down. Output will be verbose. xprobe2 -v -p udp:53:closed 192.168.1.20 Will launch an OS fingerprint attempt targeting 192.168.1.20. The UDP destination port is set to 53, and the output will be verbose. xprobe2 -M 11 -p tcp:80:open 192.168.1.1 Will only enable TCP handshake module (number 11) to probe the target, very usefull when all ICMP traffic is filtered. xprobe2 -B 192.168.1.1 Will cause TCP handshake module to try blindly guess open port on the target by sequentially sending TCP packets to the most likely open ports (80, 443, 23, 21, 25, 22, 139, 445 and 6000). xprobe2 -T 1-1024 127.0.0.1 Will enable portscanning module, which will scan TCP ports starting from 1 to 1024 on 127.0.0.1 xprobe2 -p tcp:139:open 192.168.1.2 If remote target has TCP port 139 open, the command line above will enable application level SMB module (if remote target has TCP port 445 open, substitue 139 in the command line with 445). xprobe2 -p udp:161:open 192.168.1.10 Will enable SNMPv2c application level module, which will try to retrieve sysDescr.0 OID using community strings taken from xprobe2.conf file. NOTES
xprobe2 fingerprints remote operating system by analyzing the replies from the target, so to get the most out of xprobe2 you need to supply xprobe2 with as much information as possible, in particular it is important to supply at least one open TCP port and one closed UDP port. Open TCP port can either be provided in command line (-p), obtained through built-in portscanner (-T) or -B option can be used to cause xprobe2 to try to blindly guess open TCP port. UDP port can be supplied via command line (-p) or through built-in portscanner (-U). HISTORY
xprobe has been developed in 2001 based on research performed by Ofir Arkin <ofir@sys-security.com>. The code has been officially released at the BlackHat Briefings in Las-Vegas in 2001. xprobe2 is a logical evolution of xprobe code. Signature based fuzzy fingerprinting logic was embedded. SEE ALSO
nmap(1) queso(1) pcap(3) AUTHORS
Fyodor Yarochkin <fyodor@o0o.nu>, Ofir Arkin <ofir@sys-security.com>, Meder Kydyraliev <meder@o0o.nu> (see also /usr/share/doc/xprobe/CREDITS). AVAILABILITY
The current version and relevant documentation is available from following urls: http://www.sys-security.com/html/projects/X.html http://xprobe.sourceforge.net http://www.notlsd.net/xprobe/ BUGS
None known (please report). $Id: xprobe2.1,v 1.18 2005/07/26 12:48:59 mederchik Exp $ XPROBE2(1)