Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cal command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cal command Post 1750 by Neo on Wednesday 28th of March 2001 08:59:23 PM
Old 03-28-2001
The cal command accepts numbers for months versus names. If you want otherwise you might consider writing a wrapper script that takes the different text inputs for months, maps the text forms (mar, March, Mar, march, etc.) to the number (in this case 3) and sends it to the cal utility.

This wrapper script could be written in a few minutes, don't you think?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

doubt in cal command

I am new to unix... How to get all the saturdays of a specific year? for a specific month, i tried as below.. cal 02 2006 | awk '{print $7}' but it is not giving all saturdays.... can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance, Sumi (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumi
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian Dates and the Cal command

hey all, I was wondering if it was possible to get the julian date with the cal command. I know that the "-j" option will display it, however, i need the Julian Date of a specific date, in number. For example, the User would enter their age like 19800101 or YYYMMDD, like so. This info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shan2on
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cal command display issues

I am using AIX version 5.3 I like the cal function because I can print a nice concise view of the calendar for the whole year. I want the calendar to display with 3 months across instead of 2, which is what is happening. My terminal display is set with 67 rows and 140 columns so that should... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruddydaggerwing
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing return from cal command

Jim , Anyone I do not have GNU date Besides I am particularly interested in how one can parse the return from the cal command. Say do - cal 11 2008 - and parse out a given date, say the 8th and return that the 8th was Saturday. ( diffrentiating between S for Saturday and Sunday , also in the case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragrid
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cal command

Hello, I wanted to display calender for the previou, current and next month in a single command... I used the command cal -3 for this. But its throwing me a Bad Argument error. I am using HP UX to execute this command. Is this a syntax error, or let me know if there any other ways to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atlantis
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

another cal command question.

I got this from this board yesterday cal | xargs -n1 | tail -1 which displays the current months days.. for instance if you type this in a shell today you will get 31. I would like to also display the month and year.. something like March 2011 has 31 days. how would I do that? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rontopia
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify cal command in shell script

Plz help me To modify "cal " command to display calenders of the specified months. $ cal jan mar nov (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivasaini
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify cal command in shell script

Plz help me To modify "cal " command to display calenders of the specified months. $ cal jan....oct (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivasaini
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cal command in UNIX

modify "cal " command to display calenders of the specified months. $ cal jan....aug (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssaini
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cal command to display 5 months ?

Hi, I'm curious to know if we can display 5 months of a calendar using the cal command. I know we can three successive months (cal -3) but I wanted to know if we can do it with 5 months for example. (Give a specific month, and get as a result two previous months + the month in question + two... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imane
12 Replies
cal(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cal(1)

NAME
cal - print calendar SYNOPSIS
[[month] year] DESCRIPTION
prints a calendar for the specified year. If a month is also specified, a calendar just for that month is printed. If neither is speci- fied, a calendar for the present month is printed. year can be between 1 and 9999. month is a decimal number between 1 and 12. The cal- endar produced is a Gregorian calendar. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the locale to use for the locale categories when both and the corresponding environment variable (beginning with do not specify a locale. If is not set or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. determines the locale for interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (e.g., single- verses multibyte characters in arguments and input files). determines the format and contents of the calendar. determines the timezone used to calculate the value of the current month. If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The command: prints the calendar for September, 1850 on the screen as follows: However, for UNIX Standard (see standards(5)), the output looks like below: WARNINGS
The year is always considered to start in January even though this is historically naive. Beware that refers to the early Christian era, not the 20th century. SEE ALSO
standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cal(1)